Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best forum software - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best forum software

13»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

PHPBB3

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • ehehe. back in the days I used something called IceBB. Never made it to 2016.

I believe MyBB is the best choice if you want a traditional forum. But things are changing and software like Vanilla, NodeBB etc. are changing the way forums work. You have to make a choice here. IF you want sth traditional, go for IPB (paid) or MyBB (Free). If you want a modern and different thing, you can try these new softwares.

• best free = Discourse

Best Overall but not free.. is defiantly xenforo :)

• KayKay Member
    edited January 2016

Free (& tons of themes) = MyBB or SMF

Paid = XenForo or vBulletin

Not sure about security tho...

Thanked by 1sameer8233
  • You can also try http://codoforum.com if you are looking for something modern or different.

• colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

which software does LET uses now?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2016

@colingpt said:
    which software does LET uses now?

Vanilla

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • MyBB is my favorite forum software.

Thanked by 2Four20 tux
  • IPB would be the best bet.

• Yeah, We are using XenForo Community, and excellent support system. Very helpful for me.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

mpkossen said: What makes XenForo so popular? Because it doesn't look like much at first sight.

It's what vBulletin should be if it wasn't stuck in 1999.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • Currently using IPB 4 and I have to say this is awesome!

• @ollietrex said:
    What's the best forum software to use these days? Language does not matter, just the more secure the better

Phpbb or vanilla

Ps. LET is vanilla for example

• JarryJarry Member

@ollietrex said:
    What's the best forum software to use these days? Language does not matter, just the more secure the better

From security point of view, the best forum-software is the one you keep properly configured and updated.

• manlivomanlivo Member

+1 for phpbb

• https://github.com/lincanbin/Carbon-Forum

It's not best forum software.

But it's lightning fast, could handle 50000 users online with 512M digitaocean VM, besides it has nice UI on mobile and an opensouce android client.

Demo and support site: https://www.94cb.com/

Developer answer questions like in one minute.

Thanked by 2kaflo DreamCaster
  • HybridHybrid Member

+1 for phpbb

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Xenforo is pretty good in mye petience. Never had any security problems. Use dot for s few years for two forins. VB is a pain in the ass.

• AmitzAmitz Member

https://www.woltlab.com/de/wbb/
    Woltlab Burning Board

or Xenforo.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @TehEnforce said:

>

SMF

+1

• XPEricXPEric Member

IPB

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Anyone even mentioning Vbulletin should be shot.

• its been 7 years since i've installed any forum script

but back then everything besides simple machines (smf) was shit. mybb was quite shitty, and much harder to configure. hard to imagine they would improve beyond others. it was a shit project from the start.

i'd say SMF if it's still continued. a headstart would keep you ahead!

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

I like the way how Vanilla, Flarum, Muut consolidate forum topics instead of displaying inside sub-forums

• fbcpckfbcpck Member
    edited June 2016

vBulletin, XenForo, and IPB are great for a full featured forum. XenForo comes with great looking themes by default.

Discourse or Vanilla for a new-ish fresh interface. I just can't get used to Discourse interface though.

phpBB/MyBB/SMF should just die already, the codebase looks like a wreck. Totally not enjoyable to tinker around.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

XenForo, MyBB, Vanilla, vBulletin, SMF and some other forum software. I like MyBB Forum because this software is free.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

vBulletin is utter shit, only retards would recommend them.

Thanked by 2Licensecart tux
  • none.

• Do you guys have any idea to get forum or any cms script to gather alumni of school?