Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inception hosting site + vps down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Inception hosting site + vps down?

JacobHJacobH Member
edited January 2013 in Providers

Hi,

My vps with inception have been down since this morning at about 10 and Inception hosting . com is down.

Anyone else having problems or know what's up?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Has inceptionhosting got a twitter for outages, etc..? otherwise you will just have to wait for @AnthonySmith

• They do have a twitter but no updates have been posted...

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

I hate to ask this, @JacobH but have you posted a ticket?

• He said site is down

• JacobHJacobH Member
    edited January 2013

Site is down so can't post ticket. Also meant 10 cet so that's one hour by now. My vps is on a UK node.

• If so then it's @sean you need to hit up.

@JacobH said: My vps is on a UK node.

@jcaleb said: He said site is down

@Jack said: Dominicl he has already said the ticket sys is down.

My bad

• For me the VPS node is up and is in Netherlands

edited January 2013

@praveenbhat said: For me the VPS node is up and is in Netherlands

claps

• Been down for me since last night. Can't raise a ticket 'cos can't reach site.

Solus panel also down.

@xmob said: Been down for me since last night. Can't raise a ticket 'cos can't reach site.

Solus panel also down.

You also in the UK?

• My VPS from InceptionHosting hosted in The Netherlands is still up

• @dominicl
    Yup, also in the UK. Sorry, meant to say that in my reply. It's been down about 13 hours for me now.

• edited January 2013

Hi all first comment for me
    My (UK) VPS is down as well
    I've been abel to log in into the Solus panel (9:48 GMT+1), but it was veeeery slow and most of the nice looking buttons didn't work
    The VPS was reported as offline
    After some minutes the Solus panel didn't respond either, nor did the inceptionhosting.com site
    Both are still down at the present time
    My Backuppc server at home started the backup procedure at 06:00 GMT+1 (it's scheduled to start at 3:00 GMT+1) but did hang

Is it typical for this hosting to have such a downtime?
    I'm using the VPS mainly for my own git and mail so no need for speed or power, but I need it to be reliable

• webmaisterprowebmaisterpro Member
    edited January 2013

My VPS is in UK too, can't accept Inception hosting portal for more than 5 hours. I am quite sure that downtime is more than 5 hours as I was checking the portal considering to buy new VPS, well this will not happen as 5 hours downtime is too much. Unable to access my website, Inception main website nor Solus. A bit disappointed, Inception have good reputation.

• @Jack I really hope so, since I bought a 1year plan already and I've been actually quite happy with it until now
    5+ hours downtime is starting to become really annoying though
    Also I'd really like some sign of life from inceptionhosting, be it a comment here, a post on twitter or whatever it is
    I only see that not even name resolution works and this is not a good sign
    `dig www.inceptionhosting.com

; <<>> DiG 9.9.2 <<>> www.inceptionhosting.com
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached`

• @Jack Yeah, I know they are reliable and I suppose there is a reason for this downtime. Honestly, it is pretty much fine for me, as this is my development VPS and project there is just experimental, but I guess some of the customers have production websites.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

Sorry folks, lost a drive at 3am while that should not have caused a load issue is did and the load was creeping up by 1 - 2 every minute, an announcement was put up about this however due to the DNS cluster not replicating (for reasons yet unknown) it affected the whole inception hosting domain.

I am working on getting everything back online, 1 hour ish is the ETA.

• Ok, thanks for the feedback

inceptionhosting.com domain up, so vpsadmin, usadmin, clients etc are now available, individual VPS's are now booting

I am not avoiding the issue I hope everyone understands, I just need some time to do a full analysis of events, I will post that on the client area announcements page when I have finished.

• @AnthonySmith said: should not have caused a load issue

@AnthonySmith said: (for reasons yet unknown)

You fed the gremlins after midnight, just admit it ;)

@miTgIB could be yes.

All VPS's should be up now bar the last 2 or 3 which are booting.

2 had serious issues booting they pushed the server load in to the 20's just on boot so they have been suspended and will be carefully brought up once the node load has settled from the other VPS's booting.

Once that is done I will start looking in to the chain of events.

tl;dr version from what I know now / lessons learned.

monitor everything by dns and ip at the same time.

double check your cpanel dns cluster on a regular basis

if a drive replacement request ends in the DC just reseating it insist on replacements anyway even if you learn that after the fact.

Don't trust solusvm load alerting.

I have to take some blame in this, although failed hardware can strike anyone at any time much of the frustration by customers could have been avoided by not placing trust in third party tools to do the right job.

• @AnthonySmith said: if a drive replacement request ends in the DC just reseating it insist on replacements anyway even if you learn that after the fact.

Wait, are you saying that you requested the drive to be replaced and it was only reseated? I guess you need to start a spreadsheet of the drive serial numbers to make sure that never happens again, you can then verify a different drive in a slot, cuz people lie sometimes. I guess this is one of the many disadvantages of leased gear :(

I would be popping a gasket if someone reseated a drive on me, I can do that myself remotely via the raid card. Did they think a working drive for however long all of a sudden popped out of the case? This is a serious WTF moment for that datacenter.

• lzplzp Member
    edited January 2013

Good thing I left IH already - this would have just been another incident to add to the ticket system (oh wait, that was down too).

• Now it appears inceptionhostings site and my vps is offline once again, both their site and tryng to access my VPS throws the same error (500) and accessing my vps further gives these details: Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/

Any updates @AnthonySmith ?

• iwoiwo Member

Yep same here, UK based VPS just went down aswell, and their website doesn't seem to be working either

• I don't get how their site could impact your vps in this way - seems more like a bad rewrite rule or something causing a 500 on their www vm?

• It's hosted on the same node as far as I recall. SolusVM does also report the VPS offline and I cannot boot it, and furthermore multiple users are reporting theirs VPS'es to be down. I'm sure this one is not on me :)

• I wonder if a vm could have hijacked all the node vm ips and you're hitting that - can you ssh into it?

• Both SSH and seriale console timeouts.