Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean Refund - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean Refund

Comments

• AnthonySmith said: 2 family size packets of potato chips

Aren't you supposed to be a brit :P

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ratherbak3d said: Aren't you supposed to be a brit :P

Trying my hardest not to be :)

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Crisps, it is then?

• no, fish and chips is the one.

Junkless said: Crisps, it is then?

• I have like 7 DO overdue emails, finally got fed up and paid up.

• nice, gonna ask jarland to give me cash for the credit in my account!

Thanked by 3jar Mark_R Pwner
  • I thought Jar sits there watching the Overdue counter and pushes the destroy droplet button all day when he's not busy banning on lowendtalk.

FlamesRunner said: I have like 7 DO overdue emails, finally got fed up and paid up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@GM2015 said:
    I thought Jar sits there watching the Overdue counter and pushes the destroy droplet button all day when he's not busy banning on lowendtalk.

Destroy all the things! Nah, that's why we send so many emails, we don't want your vital data disappearing without making sure you know :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I tried to find the an appropriate meme pair to reply, but failed miserably.

Yeah, it's a nice gesture and a way of collecting debts.

jarland said: Destroy all the things! Nah, that's why we send so many emails, we don't want your vital data disappearing without making sure you know :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

@AnthonySmith said:

Ah, come on! I like the Brits. <3

• LeeLee Veteran

@Amitz said:

You say that like the British did something to offend you in the last 100 years.

Thanked by 3Amitz netomx Pwner
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

Lee said: You say that like the British did something to offend you in the last 100 years.

I am genuinely sorry if it sounded like this. That was not intended, but you are right, one could understand it like that. I edited my post.

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited December 2015

Who doesn't like that fancy brit accent? If I had one, I wouldn't shut up, like ever.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • You can buy British accent on ebay or fiverr for $7 and $5 respectively.

Junkless said: If I had one, I wouldn't shut up, like ever.

@Junkless said:
    Who doesn't like that fancy brit accent? If I had one, I wouldn't shut up, like ever.

I can't even understand it.

Thanked by 3netomx Amitz Pwner
  • You should hear them talking on buses in the morning.

jarland said: I can't even understand it.

Thanked by 3jar netomx Amitz
  • @jarland said:

No one claims to be able to understand women, doesn't make them any less desirable.

Harry Potter, James Bond, Doctor who, Game of thrones...and still can't understand what they are saying half of the time. But may be that's part of the charm

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

Texas is a bad place for the english language, too... ;-)
    I have less problems understanding those two bright lights in the video than any average guy from Dallas. I have a business contact from there and am always under the impression that he has got 10 chewing gums in his mouth while talking...

For further entertainment:

@Amitz said:
    Texas is a bad place for the english language, too... ;-)

Let this sink in: I understand every word ;)

Thanked by 4Amitz netomx Mark_R Pwner
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

Fuckin' A! Doodledidooo!
    I just understood the clickidiclick part. Half of it, to be honest.

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Hearing that,guy reminds me of Ali G

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

@jarland said: Let this sink in: I understand every word ;)

Coming to think about it: How can you even write in a normal and readable way? One would expect way more Oomph, Mmmph and Wickledidickles in your sentences. Are you really able to switch that fast in your brain? Or is it still exhausting after some time? However: Respect! ;-)

Thanked by 2jar netomx

Amitz said: How can you even write in a normal and readable way?

Dang ol' life is what you make it man.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

If that ain’t a fact, God’s a possum - You can take that to the bank, Mr. In-Tall-Cotton! Dang ol' life is tough as stewed skunk. This is how my Dallas contact talks. Straight from the school of hard knocks, I guess... ;-)

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • @Junkless said:

• Okay, > @jarland said:

Hey there!

That was me that replied, I remember typing those words last night. PayPal cannot process a refund after that much time and I do not have the physical access required to send the $5 manually. If you really need it though, please send me a PM here with your PayPal address and I will send you $5 personally. I do not mind at all :)

My apologies if it seemed like I was trying to be rude or anything like that, it wasn't at all intended. I was merely attempting to communicate what I was physically unable to do.

Kind Regards,
    Jarland Donnell

Hey Jarland,

Thanks for coming here and replying. That's awesome. Didn't read the terms when I signed up. Yep it sounded a bit rude/unconventional from where I come from at the time when I read it (not your fault) - so I wanted to get a clarification here - but I got flamed (not anyone's fault), didn't bother to read all that. But now that I understand that for services there are no refunds, it is okay (in fact I'll apply the same policies to my software as it is good - less work and email to send if I have that policy in place)

Don't feel bad for this - I have to apologize for bringing you into this due to me not having read TOS.

It was an impulse buy and you could see in my logs that I spun up a drop / shut it down and forgot about it for a long time (didn't use the free credits or paid - don't believe in wasting resources). I used GitHub pages. I revisited it recently thinking I could start a FreeBSD drop to experiment, but then I dropped (no pun intended :) ) that idea.

Thanks for the personal offer (that's great of you), but don't worry I have no piggy bank issues, even if, I have to decline the offer with tanks. I just didn't want waste money (reclaim what you don't use - its a habit of wealthy people).

I'll explain to everyone in the footer of this post why I felt the urge to reclaim a silly amount like 5$.

Maybe you may receive refund request from people who didn't read TOS such as mine once in a while, so here is an idea: Write a standard template text that explains why refund is not possible (hinting at TOS etc) to avoid confusion.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, would this apply to large amounts too, lets say someone wanted to run multi core ray tracing programs of complex scenes on one of your 640$ 20 core drop. He renders some scenes and turns off the drop. Keeps the remaining credit for future renderings but never gotten to it. Would you refund that after a year? If not possible, would he have to option to transfer the credit to another DO account (such as his friend who is an even greater digital artist)? If not - credit transfer to another account would be a good feature.

Wish you a merry Xmas.

Best Regards

Okay, to answer why a silly amount such as 5$ felt worth to be reclaimed (or why I looked like broke piggy banking cheapskate idiot / or any future guy):

In Germany where I was born, 5$ is not worth much. But here in India 5$ roughly equals 330 Rs (INR).

Now 330 has some purchasing power. It is enough to buy about 20 days of (basic) food for a malnourished child. Check this for example:

http://www.giveindia.org/p-18955-provide-nutrition-support-for-a-hivaids-infected-or-affected-child.aspx

In cities it is more like this:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=India

Or 66 packs of Lays Chips (Air):

http://www.kartgoal.com/Lays-Chips-MRP-Rs-5_p_48.html

But in a villiage, it is a months rice supply.

Sadly the average Indian can't afford that (20% very rich, 80% below poverty).

I am lucky to be rich enough. But money should not be wasted if it can be reclaimed - so there was no need to flame. It is the society that affects our thinking, even in financial decisions.

The whole 5$ thing is a matter of perception. Other folks who look at us Lowend guys here would think of us like people who are too broke to buy normal priced services/servers. They would see this community as a bunch of cheapskates who buy and sell each other very cheap and substandard stuff (which is not true - we enjoy the max bang for the buck and love stretching hosting tech to the edge).

But I do agree I was a dork for not reading the TOS and instead asking around.

Thanked by 2Traffic MikePT
  • wtf is this.

bitcubate said: I am lucky to be rich enough. But money should not be wasted if it can be reclaimed

do me a favor, take your refunded $5 and gtfo of here.

• He's written a book here and you'd just let him go like that. Come on now.

dedicados said: do me a favor, take your refunded $5 and gtfo of here.

• dedicados said: wtf is this.

bitcubate said: I am lucky to be rich enough. But money should not be wasted if it can be reclaimed

do me a favor, take your refunded $5 and gtfo of here.

TL;DR I was explaining that 5 USD is a lot of Pesos and Rupees. And that's why non US and non Europeans would tend to ask for refunds if possible (for things / services not used).

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited December 2015

I think I gotta move to India Fast would feel like a king instead of a western peasant.