Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digital Ocean Refund
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digital Ocean Refund

bitcubatebitcubate Member
edited December 2015 in Help

Hi,

I wanted to get a refund for my unused Digital Ocean Account. It's only 5$ but since I am not using it, I thought I should request a refund. This is the reply I got:

Hi there!

Thank you for contacting us! Unfortunately the payment was from too long ago, I am not able to process a refund for that. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

If I can be of any further assistance, please be sure to let me know.

Is that normal? What if I don't want to use Digital Ocean? After all 5$ could give 2 http://nanovz.com/index.html for experimentation.

Updated billing details as requested:

Billing History
Date Description Amount

February 1, 2015 Invoice for January 2015 $0.01 View Invoice

January 19, 2015 PayPal -$5.00

July 9, 2014 Promotional Credit from Google Adwords SEM Campaign - 4/24/14! -$10.00
November 7, 2012 Free Trial Credit -$1.25

(I don't know why text appears bold on top - thanks for the fix)

Comments

• Surely you have more information on the payment, why not send that through?

Also make sure that "credit" wasn't from any sort of promo or coupon..

Thanked by 1bitcubate
  • bitcubate said: (I don't know why text appears bold on top)

fixed: http://hastebin.com/ujucufetiw.vhdl

Thanked by 1bitcubate
  • They probably mean they can't process a refund because its a PayPal payment and out of the PayPal refund period which is 45 days or 90 days if i'm not mistaken.

What they can do though is send you a new payment minus any PayPal fees but this can probably only be done from their management or someone with access to send payments.

But in any case per their Terms they do not offer any refunds.

• Oh my gosh! A budget VPS provider won't refund a $4.99 credit that has been on OP's account for nearly a year.

For this kind of service, where you put in money and withdraw it arbitrarily far in the future, I recommend going with a provider that is FDIC insured.

Meanwhile, Skype completely erases your credit if you don't use your account for 90 days.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • zafouhar said: But in any case per their Terms they do not offer any refunds.

Thanks that's interesting. Wonder how they deal with folks who have 500 or so with them.

• They do not need to offer you any sort of refund in this case.

Thanked by 1bitcubate
  • duh refund after almost a year? can't chargeback even if you wanted to

Thanked by 1bitcubate
  • If you did not want to use do why put $5 inside.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • bitcubate said: Wonder how they deal with folks who have 500 or so with them.

The same, just don't refund them? Like any reasonable provider does; refunds for hosting/VPS are a budget thing and nearly non existent in enterprise what DO tries to be... try to ask for a refund at Softlayer, Rackspace or AWS....

Thanked by 1bitcubate
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Ha ha. Refund after nearly 1 Year ?? :P

• singsing said: Skype completely erases your credit if you don't use your account for 90 days.

That's not true. Skype is suspend the credits until you login to their site and reactivate them again. They just want you to sign to the website. (I did it yesterday for some expired credits I have)

Thanked by 2ATHK Dylan
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I just don't understand, I am not wealthy, I do not come from money, but if I spent $5 a year ago on a none refundable product That I don't need now I would have forgotten about it already, or if it meant enough to me to waste time on forum posts or tickets over I would not have waited a year or bought it in the first place.

This just seems literally insane to me unless your 11 and that $5 was savings from your piggy bank?

Seems like shitting on someone's doorstep then banging in the door demanding they provide you with some toilet paper to me.

• Yes I know, refund after the first year sounds ridiculous.

The thing is that I just wanted as server to test things out and also to host a few static pages.

But then I found GitHub pages which is free and adfree and serves the purpose.

I'll just find a way to burn the promo and paid credit in a months time.

• AnthonySmith said: I just don't understand, I am not wealthy, I do not come from money, but if I spent $5 a year ago on a none refundable product That I don't need now I would have forgotten about it already, or if it meant enough to me to waste time on forum posts or tickets over I would not have waited a year or bought it in the first place.

This just seems literally insane to me unless your 11 and that $5 was savings from your piggy bank?

Seems like shitting on someone's doorstep then banging in the door demanding they provide you with some toilet paper to me.

You wouldn't believe how many refund requests I get for software products I sold a year ago. People do that. And I do refund in cases where they claim that they didn't use the product.

And I didn't want to shit on DO, I like what they do. I wanted to know if it is normal. I just wanted to close the account. Why I didn't ask for the refund before is that I was uncertain if I'd need DO in future.

• @bitcubate said:

Try bitcoin mining see if you can earn $5 back

Thanked by 2bitcubate lifehome
  • So technically in the Hosting / Webservices industry, if you add prepaid credit, technically you can't claim a refund after a 1 year or greater due to accounting or technical reasons.

Thanks for the info. Now that I know, I am okay with it.

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Try bitcoin mining see if you can earn $5 back

Good idea, but with current difficulty is that possible?

edited December 2015

bitcubate said: You wouldn't believe how many refund requests I get for software products I sold a year ago

I would, its a sad world we live in.

bitcubate said: I didn't want to shit on DO

I believe that you actually believe that, maybe where you are from $5 is worth a lot more, where I live that's the cost of 2 family size packets of potato chips, or half the price of a pizza.... hence it seems beyond ridiculous that you would gave even 1 shit a year later, never mind 2.

I am going to go back to my piggy bank theory now.

Here are the reasons:

You wanted X
    You thought X
    You agreed to X

Then you made it Y's problem.

I am not having a go at you though, I just don't understand how someone can be so penny pinching they get to the stage that conversations like this seems normal to them.

Thanked by 3Amitz jvnadr Pwner
  • okay now understand your signature

• @simonindia said:

Yep haha. Nah try to live life differently. Yeah I'm a dick but guess what. I love it haha. Anyway back to setting up an offer on LET

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • I have that Skunk Anansie refrain in my mind...
    "Just because you feel good / doesn't make you right"

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @Amitz said:
    I have that Skunk Anansie refrain in my mind...
    "Just because you feel good / doesn't make you right"

Nah makes you half left

Thanked by 1netomx
  • This where I am anyway... ;-)

Amitz said: "Just because you feel good / doesn't make you right"

I thought it was "Just because it feels good / doesn't make it right" ?

Takes me back to me teenage years haha.

Thanked by 3jvnadr Amitz netomx
  • I wonder why the <insert one of Nekki's swearings here> people request refund when the providers terms say that they do not do refunds at all.

You should be aware that if they actually did give you a refund then this is because they are being nice and friendly. It's their own free will to do so even if it goes against their terms. And I tell you this is much better than actually always denying refund and getting bad blood with people. Yes yes they have the terms but OP shows he is one of the person who don't care that the terms say "We don't do refunds".

So whatever, . This whole topic is kinda damn useless .

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    I thought it was "Just because it feels good / doesn't make it right" ?
    Takes me back to me teenage years haha.

Same here and - to be honest, I don't remember the exact wording. It fits in both versions anyway... ;-)

Amitz said: Same here and - to be honest, I don't remember the exact wording. It fits in both versions anyway... ;-)

Nope your right:

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Let me know if they refund you. I need to withdraw - $0.21, yep minus

Thanked by 2Four20 netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Hey there!

That was me that replied, I remember typing those words last night. PayPal cannot process a refund after that much time and I do not have the physical access required to send the $5 manually. If you really need it though, please send me a PM here with your PayPal address and I will send you $5 personally. I do not mind at all :)

My apologies if it seemed like I was trying to be rude or anything like that, it wasn't at all intended. I was merely attempting to communicate what I was physically unable to do.

Kind Regards,
    Jarland Donnell