Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your VPS with the best uptime? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your VPS with the best uptime?

Comments

• kmyers@uk:~$ uptime
    14:54:09 up 184 days, 8:45, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01

(RamHost UK)

• My free ValueServer IPv6-only VPS.

free:~# w
      19:38:33 up 364 days, 23:55,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

• @chrisp Have you considered AWS' free 1-year EC2 instance? https://aws.amazon.com/free/

• @ellimist hmm interesting, I thought they terminated those, as I was actively using mine and it was randomly shut off and the IP became unreachable. Before it went down, had awesome uptime for sure.

Maybe I will bug valueserver to see if they will fix mine...I just didn't wan to bug them with tickets as it was free..... but we will see.

Cheers!

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2013

You'd think free providers have more abuse and would be unreliable/unstable/reboot constantly etc but they have better uptimes than basically all paid LEB providers. What's wrong with that picture? :p

• Uptime is only half of it... what if the network goes down?

• XeiXei Member

I agree with you there, availability is obviously extremely important. Just interesting these providers can offer vastly superior uptimes despite being free. On par with to my dedis/EC2 instances.

• @HalfEatenPie said: my ZNC is with Prometeus (this has been up since I've bought it initially)

THIS.

Both my Prometeus nodes have been up since I bought them.

• @NickO said: Uptime is only half of it... what if the network goes down?

What if any network goes down? I don't see EC2 going down much.

• My current best is a NS box (last downtime was due to hardware replacement):

Uptime:
    03:50:58 up 459 days

Second best would be my vps with Ramhost. Not sure what that's up to now, but should be similar in the 300+ range.

• @gubbyte said: What if any network goes down? I don't see EC2 going down much.

I'm meaning everyone is like zomg I have 200 days uptime but do they take into consideration that, that's the amount of time their server has been powered on and may not have been accessible for all that time?

• Carstensz Pyramid Server - Steinsel, Luxembourg

11:36:57 up 233 days, 23:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

XenVZ - Maidenhead, UK

10:05:59 up 201 days,  2:38,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

The network on both of these have been great. Pingdom with 1 minute intervals checking a TCP port has reported month after month, 100% uptime for each of these.

• @Xei said: You'd think free providers have more abuse and would be unreliable/unstable/reboot constantly etc but they have better uptimes than basically all paid LEB providers. What's wrong with that picture? :p

ipv6-only probably eliminates a huge amount of kiddie abuse....

• 20:29:48 up 534 days, 21:05, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

The free ipv6 only vps from valueserver.de

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I agree network is important too. Here we had almost uninterrupted network except a few DDoSes that were all below 20 gb max capacity and as such only affected the node with the target IP (some targeted the node IP too :o) and one instance when one provider had a problem with their port, but that only collapsed some routes.

@SwordfishBE said: The free ipv6 only vps from valueserver.de

I really wish I had IPv6 then, saw the promo but didnt take to let others that need it.

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2013

@sleddog said: ipv6-only probably eliminates a huge amount of kiddie abuse....

Dreamservers is quite amazing in this regard as the free VPS used IPV4. I'd guess better management partly has something to do with how they can provide such uptimes. The only comparable paid hosts I can think of are RamHost, XenVZ, and Carstensz (last one I'm least familiar with but got it from this thread). The first two are the LEB providers I'm most interested in getting services from at the moment, would love to have more people post their uptimes here though.

• @SwordfishBE Free VPS with only ipv6 or VPS with free ipv6 only? :)

• @Spirit: They've been out of stock for a while.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: @Spirit: They've been out of stock for a while.

You mean their free product? :) You can always try vps4less.de - same company ( http://www.inline.de/?page_id=72 ). I am hosted with them since 2007 or 2008. Pretty much same uptime as ValueServer VPSs but resources they offer for (still LEB) price aren't that much attractive today.

• Best uptime is hard because I bought at different months. But most VPS I have with known providers here are always up except for scheduled SW/HW upgrades: Secure Dragon, BuyVM, Hostigation, BuyVM.

For new provider I tried, Liquid Solution has the best uptime. No downtime since the last upgrade many months ago.

• XeiXei Member

@jcaleb said: Best uptime is hard because I bought at different months. But most VPS I have with known providers here are always up except for scheduled SW/HW upgrades: Secure Dragon, BuyVM, Hostigation, BuyVM.

You mentioned BuyVM twice, did you intend to list another provider?

• @Xei sorry i meant prometeus for the additional buyvm

• I finally rebooted nodes tonight to upgrade kernels. Here were a few of our up times. All nodes are openvz.

2013-01-04 04:45:18 System Device rebooted after 312 days, 3h 38m 54s
    2013-01-04 04:25:15 System Device rebooted after 285 days, 5h 52m 18s
    2013-01-04 05:20:01 System Device rebooted after 167 days, 12h 19m 59s
    2013-01-04 05:40:27 System Device rebooted after 109 days, 3h 32m 14s <- newer node
    2013-01-04 04:45:49 System Device rebooted after 170 days, 11h 45s

Could have easily kept going but I figured I would have a fresh start for the new year.

• ProviderService:

11:37:45 up 116 days, 21:05,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Edis:

12:33:54 up 109 days,  5:53,  1 user,  load average: 3.28, 3.25, 3.32

Those are my only servers with a 3 digit uptime

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited January 2013

Hardware uptime really doesn't prove the stability of the node anyway :P

It could be up for 5 years but if the network has consistent packet loss then its pointless.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Hardware uptime really doesn't prove the stability of the node anyway :P
    It could be up for 5 years but if the network has consistent packet loss then its pointless.

If the network has consistent packet loss, it is irreverent to node stability, uptime is a 100% reflection of node stability. Now if you are talking about network stability, the oranges are in isle 3, but we are debating these apples.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited January 2013

@miTgiB said: If the network has consistent packet loss, it is irreverent to node stability, uptime is a 100% reflection of node stability. Now if you are talking about network stability, the oranges are in isle 3, but we are debating these apples.

Hence my wording. I count stability as the product overall. As for which isle i should be on, the topic is named "Your VPS with the best uptime", so id say we were debating uptime :)

Off-topic, fruit is generally found on the same isle. At least over here..

• The problem with network uptime is that it's very often relative and its hard to determine whether the provider, the uptime monitor or some 3rd party is causing the issues.

Since we are debating fruits and isles: Although a tomato is a fruit it is commonly placed on the same isle as the vegetables.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: fruit is generally found on the same isle.

Ah, but you assumed we are in a super market, but this is a produce stand with many isles of goodness