Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is wrong with inception? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is wrong with inception?

13»

Comments

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited December 2012

@Ishaq said: and didn't stop after continuous warnings

Hi Ishaq, we got only single warning, that too after knowing that our vps was suspended. I think it was a bit unfair. Getting suspended like this without any past bad history, then not getting any response is bad. May be IH working at 4 AM did not have time to chose a better alternative. I can understand that.

• edited December 2012

Here's an idea - How about instead of bitching about how you were "wronged", open a ticket with them and ask for suggestions on what to do to resolve the issue..

I really don't get the point of complaining when you're at fault. This could all be easily resolved if you were compliant and worked with Anthony instead of against him.

• @qtriangle said: you are unnecessarily trying to attack each of my posts.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do will be used against you in the public court. You have a right to an attorney. At anytime, you may exercise your right to be silent to prevent attacks of your own statement by others :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@bamn said: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do will be used against you in the public court. You have a right to an attorney. At anytime, you may exercise your right to be silent to prevent attacks of your own statement by others :)

I have to agree with this.

edited December 2012

@zachfedora said: I really don't get the point of complaining when you're at fault. This could all be easily resolved if you were compliant and worked with Anthony instead of against him.

I am not working against him. I am pretty much working with him even now. This thread was opened because I was trying to find out how to contact them in the emergency.
    Sorry but your statements smells preconceived notion (See you said "you are at fault". how??). Support desk is the right place to complain, i am ware of that. But some of our friends are curious to know some details, which they got to know via this thread.

• @qtriangle said: Getting suspended like this without any past bad history, then not getting any response is bad. May be IH working at 4 AM did not have time to chose a better alternative. I can understand that.

Plus it's a weekend, and they're a budget host, and have lives too. Did you get any reply to your tickets?

• @Ishaq said: Plus it's a weekend, and they're a budget host, and have lives too. Did you get any reply to your tickets?

Yes I did. They seem to be decent when they talk. Other times when they send you an email telling your VPS is suspended without any prior warning, they did not seem too decent to me.

• @qtriangle said: Other times when they send you an email telling your VPS is suspended without any prior warning, they did not seem too decent to me.

In their eyes, you're just another abuser running scripts that hog the RAM and CPU. Plus, the suspension email is automatic upon pressing "suspend" on your service. I suggest you just try and co-operate with them so that you can get your service back online quicker than not getting it up at all :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This thread has blown up a little bit, like I said I completely understand why @qtriangle would be annoyed, his customers site went down, (It had been down for at least an hour before I notified him) and his customer was giving him a hard time about it.

Obviously in those circumstances you do what you can rather than loose a customer and sometimes that means over stepping the line a little, I have done it myself in the past so I can understand the perspective.

Looking back over things in hindsight is always different, maybe I should have waited an extra 10 minutes for a response but at that point after working for about 7 hours solid after a full days work to fix all the other problems the node had had only to be then woken up an hour or so later by a load alert caused by a single VPS my objective was not to spend another 2 hours pulling someone else's server apart and going CSI on it.

That's my take on it, no malicious intent involved on either site I am sure, this thread has gotten a little personal and its not needed, happy to move on.

• @Ishaq said: In their eyes, you're just another abuser running scripts that hog the RAM and CPU. Plus, the suspension email is automatic upon pressing "suspend" on your service. I suggest you just try and co-operate with them so that you can get your service back online quicker than not getting it up at all :)

Yes I am working with Anthony to get it sorted out. My final opinion, till now, is that they are a decent hosts. It is just that few instances become point of contention. As I type this I see @AnothonySmith's post above. We do not have a hard feeling about each other. As he said I was given a very hard time by a customer, and I was a bit surprised to get this sudden suspension.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@qtriangle said: We do not have a hard feeling about each other.

I would hope that no one does over such issues. Hopefully this thread helped you and him both gain some perspective about the scenario. You both have clients to worry about and a little understanding on both sides goes a long way.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

@jarland said: I would hope that no one does over such issues. Hopefully this thread helped you and him both gain some perspective about the scenario. You both have clients to worry about and a little understanding on both sides goes a long way.

I feel like this is the nice ending/resolution we all need to hear. (sounds fairytaleish!)

Who wants pie?

• @HalfEatenPie said: Who wants pie?

ME, I want your other half :P

• I'd hope problems like this with an abuse issue could be handled more gracefully.

If this were a live client VPS everyone would be getting chewed out on all sides about the issue.

Hoping in general the providers here can come up with graceful ways to address these sorts of things with a notice first, a timeout or limit/cap use stage then finally if unresolved put the VPS in some recovery mode for the client to unload and move out.

This situation appears it went on for a while and prior notices were given and the problem was lack of experience by the buyer.

The industry, those that offer VPS packages need to step up the FAQ and DIY help sections for buyers, just in case, just to stand out and just to insure further sanity.

Referring to AUP and TOS is like every other legalese thing, no one reads them and if you actually do, you determine using said service is almost impossible by many legal statements.

• @qtriangle said: VPS is suspended without any prior warning

Just to clarify - did you receive any warning when your VPS was shut down due to abuse 2 (or so) times before?

edited December 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Just to clarify - did you receive any warning when your VPS was shut down due to abuse 2 (or so) times before?

It was the first notice and first instance of overload and also suspension. But now when both of us have probably got some learning from this incident, it's ok from my side.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Hoping in general the providers here can come up with graceful ways to address these sorts of things with a notice first

The truly effective ways that I've seen have been imbedded in custom kernels. If I could hard limit a container on every relevant resource, I'd be in heaven.

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler in an ideal world that would be great, sadly it is just not always possible, nothing is perfect.

I am fully aware that very few people read TOS/AUP I used to take the "your can lead a horse to water" stance on this however in order to address this further in the same email that contains the information you really need to get going I have also bullet pointed some key points regarding the TOS and AUP which includes the things that get questioned most, can I do, do you allow, payments, support hours.

That way I can be sure that even if someone has ticked a box and not bothered reading the terms that I can in good conscience know that if they are still ignored it is through wilful neglect and honestly that is my line in the sand so to speak to stop trying to make allowances.

In some cases and this was one of them you simply cannot just watch a node crash and burn while waiting a fair period of time for a response, I don't think the OP is questioning that I think the main question was more around how long it took to then get a response from my side once he had replied but please take in to account it was little after 4am in the UK at that point and like I said in the previous paragraph "you can lead a horse to water then put the water right in front of it" you cant force people to drink/read/pay attention.

Resource limitation is perhaps not quite as functional and simple as you think but I agree it is a great idea in theory.

The bottom line is in this industry it really does not matter what I think, you think or 10 other people think for every one man's ideal you will find 50 that don't agree, all you can do is your best :)

/speech and hopefully /thread.

• One of my friend also had his account suspended.
    He got an email stated that his MySQL is causing the server load heavy. He's just hosting 2 of his blog, hiw wife office blog with database less than 5MB.

So, I have my blog on Prometeus, with database arround 6MB, but it's working fine. Maybe some explanation I can give for him?

@ErawanArifNugroho your friend got a full explanation, it was not the sites themselves it was the start-up services, and I sorted that out for him and had him back on-line within minutes.

• @AnthonySmith Thank you for the explanation, I've forward it to him :)

Obviously I cant give specifics but if your friend is who I think then it was the mysql and exim services that were chewing things up.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@ErawanArifNugroho It depends, not only the db size matters, at times it is some bad plugins, wrong versions, downgrades half done, incompletely installed scripts, you know, when something can go wrong, it will :)
    Not to mention when ppl make up their own databases and they grow up and indexing doesnt keep pace, a 10 MB db can put down a specialized db server if done wrong.

• so do we know the root cause of qtriangle's out of control VPS? What was done to resolve/prevent it from recurring?

• @ElliotJ said: As someone who's accidentally abused @AnthonySmith's service before, I guess I'll chime in with my experience.

Here's my 2 cents, also with the 64 MB special. Had munin running on it, but it also caused way to much swap (and thus io). @AnthonySmith gave me the chance to resolve the issue, helped by supplying graphs, but in the end I removed munin because it was not going to work at all (even with rrdcached and the graphs on CGI basis).

He was polite and friendly, I was ass well.

• @patrokov said: so do we know the root cause of qtriangle's out of control VPS? What was done to resolve/prevent it from recurring?

Asking him to stop the process causing the RAM and CPU hogging?

@patrokov said: so do we know the root cause of qtriangle's out of control VPS? What was done to resolve/prevent it from recurring?

It has been fine since it was brought back up, you would need to ask @qtriangle what the root cause was, I don't manage his VPS.

Someone did suggest that: http://forum.lxcenter.org/index.php?t=msg&th=19518&start=0&amp this may have been the cause, and its a top tip for an kloxo users anyway :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

The tl;dr version

There is nothing wrong with inceptionhosting