Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is wrong with inception? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is wrong with inception?

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@qtriangle said: Let's say you working in 9-5 schedule of the day. Working hours is something written in your appointment letter.

There is an instance when your boss tell you at 4:55 PM that he needs 1 hour of your time to solve a problem. You can say you will not, because as per terms you are not to be in office after 5:00 PM. But if you care for your job and boss, you will try to do something for him. If you don't, your boss will think you are a stubborn underworking brat, even if you think you are not, as per your "TERMS".

Except when you have a gazillion people (customers) that all represent the "boss" in your hypothetical scenario, you are going to end up working until 8PM every night because there's always someone that believes you can "spare that extra hour to help me out".

• As someone who's accidentally abused @AnthonySmith's service before, I guess I'll chime in with my experience.

I have a 64MB yearly special, and upon receiving it I immediately installed OpenVPN and thought that'd be fine - I didn't monitor it.
    Due to my mistake, it ended up swapping and causing significant load, similar to the OP's scenario.

I was sent the following graph indicating how much I was abusing the node (guess who I am)
    Notice how the activity was tolerated for over 12 hours before being shut off.

So, in summary. If the OP's scenario was similar to mine, we can assume the following.
    1. If the website was crucial, then proper monitoring should've been in place.
    2 .From what Anthony has said "not once but 3 times in a row" it shows that the OP had a reasonable amount of time to check and notice how his site was performing.

From what I can see, @qhoster made a mistake but instead of accepting/correcting it, decided to make a rage thread - Not helpful for either party in this situation.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@qtriangle I am sorry you feel this way, I was aware you called thanks, I had barley got back to sleep before you called, support hours are clearly defined, your vps was abusive and shut down it is as simple as that.

Managed support is offered during checkout, managed customers get a specific email address which is the first point of contact and will alert out of hours.

Sorry your customer was upset, however I did not configure your kloxo install so I cannot take responsibility for the fact it has issues.

edit: I don't think this is a rage thread I completely understand why he is upset, I think you just need to understand that the reason you are angry @qtriangle is that you did not read the terms, you did not read both emails that notify you of support hours, you don't seem to understand that this action was absolutely required to provide quality of service to all other users on the node.

So in summary you have set your own unrealistic expectations and that is why you are upset about this.

I am not looking for a public argument or to pick apart the who should have done what's if you are not happy then you can find another host, I will gladly refund your payment in full, there is no point in trying to continue a business arrangement with so much animosity, I cant base my business decisions on your VPS alone.

I would point out again that I resolved the root cause within 20 minutes at 4am which was your VPS, did you want me to sit up for an extra few hours to see if you were going to respond?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Client != Boss

I don't know about other providers but if a single client is harming dozens of other clients who know how to obey the TOS, I would not be jumping out of bed to help them because they need to be unsuspended. Hell, if I woke up and saw tickets in our EMERGENCY queue over a suspended VPS I would invoice them for each ticket they opened as per our TOS.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2012

Your a client, you aren't the boss. So your example isn't really adequate.

But to answer your question, i have always refused to work past the time i get paid up to, in other jobs i have had.

I'm not about to work for free, nor is Anthony.

• @joepie91 said: Except when you have a gazillion people (customers) that all represent the "boss" in your hypothetical scenario, you are going to end up working until 8PM every night because there's always someone that believes you can "spare that extra hour to help me out".

No, you will not have gazillions customers "whose VPS you have suspended and not giving him any chance of communication", even if you say your support people are available.

• @AnthonySmith said: @qtriangle I am sorry you feel this way, I was aware you called thanks, I had barley got back to sleep before you called, support hours are clearly defined, your vps was abusive and shut down it is as simple as that.

Its fine Anthony. I am actually spoiled by some hosts who go out of their way to support me. Although there very few of them, but they are probably spoiling the industry because they cannot match your professionalism and working to terms.

• @qtriangle Anthony said it happened 3x. Is that true? Did you check what's wrong?

It is not the first time I have jumped out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning to prevent abuse, and actually on nodes you have or have had servers on :)

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

@qtriangle said: There is an instance when your boss tell you at 4:55 PM that he needs 1 hour of your time to solve a problem. You can say you will not, because as per terms you are not to be in office after 5:00 PM. But if you care for your job and boss, you will try to do something for him. If you don't, your boss will think you are a stubborn underworking brat, even if you think you are not, as per your "TERMS".

Not sure how it works in your country, but where I am from, we get paid 150% overtime payment per hour.

You are being really rude and offensive while Anthony has been nothing but professional.

• @AnthonySmith said: It is not the first time I have jumped out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning to prevent abuse, and actually on nodes you have or have had servers on :)

I disagree with that. I have only 1 VPS with you and put websites on it only a few days ago. There was no issue or suspension till today.

@jcaleb said: @qtriangle Anthony said it happened 3x. Is that true? Did you check what's wrong?

Just to clarify this, the op may not be aware, the first action was to restart his VPS, I had hoped this had just been an out of control script, I watched it for a few minutes and it happened again, I then tried to resolve the issue but its a fine line, I dont want to be seen to be snooping in someone's server so I only had the console output to go by.

I turned it off left it a little while and started it up again and the same thing happened again, at this point it was obvious it could not be left and it was suspended. so from the OP's perspective this was the first time. from mine it was clearly going to persist if I left it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

We do go out of our ways to help ppl, but nobody should DEMAND that.
    Both me and Uncle are very helpful with people that are polite and understand that we do things which we wouldnt have to do normally, but they are subject to available time and resources.
    We get alarms when something is down/overloaded, but cant really wake up at every ticket or jump from eating/out of the bathtub for it...
    As ppl said, if your service is crucial for you, proper monitoring should be in place and you should not ask others to care more for your customers than you do.

@AnthonySmith said: I then tried to resolve the issue but its a fine line, I dont want to be seen to be snooping in someone's server so I only had the console output to go by.

I pretty much do the same thing, snooping around as little as possible, but I only restart once, if the abuse continues, it stays down (not suspended, just shut down) and the customer gets a notification.

You have a VPS256 package that is on NL Node 3 and a UKVPS512 package that is on node 10

Also if you look at the announcements page you will see a fair bit of work was done on node10 last night due to other issues.

• You had three chances before he suspended your service. Plus if you run a business operation on the VPS, I would assume you had some significant monitoring involved. Otherwise, I would say that was not a bad move for not properly monitoring your VPS. Stop for a minute and think about what you learned here. Things can go bad sometimes not everything is perfect.

• As another customer on that node I just want to say that I appreciate the work done @AnthonySmith :)

• @AnthonySmith said: I turned it off left it a little while and started it up again and the same thing happened again, at this point it was obvious it could not be left and it was suspended. so from the OP's perspective this was the first time. from mine it was clearly going to persist if I left it.

that seems fair. will such a case be unsuspended if he works things out?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@qtriangle said: No, you will not have gazillions customers "whose VPS you have suspended and not giving him any chance of communication", even if you say your support people are available.

Are you really so convinced that you're right, that you twist what I say to be able to complain about it?

If you believe that you are the only person in the world that's asking for some "extra support" and believe that your reason is the only valid reason to do so, you probably have a bigger problem than a suspended VPS, and will continue to have that problem at other hosts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

I agree with @AnthonySmith on this. I'm not a fan of using unmanaged as an excuse and I'll gladly accuse another provider of using it as one if I see it. I don't see it here. If it were me I'd have tried to isolate your container as much as possible and then watch it, but it sounds like I would have failed and done the same thing. CPU / IO isolation is pretty easy if the offensive process or processes are limited and don't frequently restart themselves or open new instances. This isn't always the case though. Sometimes you just have to turn it off.

• @qtriangle said: There is an instance when your boss tell you at 4:55 PM that he needs 1 hour of your time to solve a problem. You can say you will not, because as per terms you are not to be in office after 5:00 PM. But if you care for your job and boss, you will try to do something for him. If you don't, your boss will think you are a stubborn underworking brat, even if you think you are not, as per your "TERMS".

He's more of your landlord, where you rent space from, than this whole boss fantasy you have.

• You need a managed VPS, or even dedicated server if you require that much resources. Not going to be below $7.

• lzplzp Member
    edited December 2012

A VM on the node I'm on (another host) was running something at 9PM every night (probably some cron job). Whatever it was that he was running, it had no noticable output on the server. It was killing the networking for the other VMs, and that's it (massive packet loss). The node itself and the rest of the network was fine. According to @qtriangle, my host should have let this fool continue to run his server killing script every night.

Of course, since support response was so quick, we started with a reboot of the server on the first day, the next day another reboot, and the next day a cycle of all the VMs (ruled out hardware issues). Finally, the script to temporarily disconnect each VM one by one was finished and my host discovered that it was a single VM disabling service for every other customer. They suspended the VM and contacted the customer.

So, @qtriangle, should they have let him continue to damage their business, and the business of the other customers? That's what you wanted Anthony to do.

• Well I think we should start a thread and see how common the abuse on node like this and what providers are doing.

This time last year, I recall quite a bit more complaining about abuse on nodes and being shut down. Something changed in the past year as the complaints and apparent abuse has slowed.

I don't envy anyone, either the customer or the provider in this instance.

One of my first VPS experiences was with one of the bargain providers and their larger plans (1-2GB RAM, 50GB+ harddrive).

I was banned/shuttered by that provider because a simple MySQL import was deemed abusive to the node and causing high IO wait. It was a pedestrian import and the data wasn't anything exceptional in any way.

Cause of that truly was lousy disk on the node and the provider continues to be notorious for such -- either oversold or running single SATA drive.

• @lzp said: So, @qtriangle, should they have let him continue to damage their business, and the business of the other customers? That's what you wanted Anthony to do.

No, I wanted them to provide a way of getting websites online, since this downtime meant a lot for my customer. I could have migrated my data to other server: it was technically possible alternative without letting me use their server for traffic.
    When inception suspended my VPS I replied within 9 minutes to request them some alternative, but it was not to be. Now it is very much possible that vps was suspended as last activity of the night, and nobody was there to take care of the things.
    Anyways, I dont intend to throw bad light on someone. I am sorry to state that it was one of bad experiences in hosting that I had. To my friends who are suggesting dedicated etc: I am not a rookie who doesn't know how to run VPS. If that was the case I would have opted for managed servers. SOmetimes bad things happen, and you need support of your host in those cases. For me it was one notice and BAMMM.

• Well @qtriangle, you either take the learning time and curve or buy a fully managed type solution.

• @qtriangle said: No, I wanted them to provide a way of getting websites online, since this downtime meant a lot for my customer. I could have migrated my data to other server: it was technically possible alternative without letting me use their server for traffic.

So as I said, you wanted him to allow your VM to damage his business and that of the other clients?

@qtriangle said: When inception suspended my VPS I replied within 9 minutes to request them some alternative, but it was not to be. Now it is very much possible that vps was suspended as last activity of the night, and nobody was there to take care of the things.

He already said he had to be up at 4AM to deal with your VM. He went back to sleep. He's not going to sit up for potentially 8 hours to wait for you to reply.

@qtriangle said: I am not a rookie who doesn't know how to run VPS. If that was the case I would have opted for managed servers. SOmetimes bad things happen, and you need support of your host in those cases. For me it was one notice and BAMMM.

You blamed the downtime, that you caused, on your host. If he had left your VM up, I bet you would have submitted a ticket about how slow your VM and sites were. This leads me to believe that you are a rookie after all. On an unmanaged server, the only support you get is network and hardware - the issue you caused was neither of those.

• @Izp, you are unnecessarily trying to attack each of my posts. I tried to explain the situation. If you read a bit more, probably you will understand. If you have read everything and still don't understand my point then thanks for your time and suggestions.

• lzplzp Member
    edited December 2012

You have no point. You keep saying the same thing to try and justify Anthony waiting around at 4AM for you to reply so you can get your data off the server. Every provider on this site will agree with how Anthony managed your case. In fact, they already did before he even replied.

The only thing my replies have done is give an anecdote and then summarize your posts and the entire thread.

You did wrong. You expected to be serviced like a customer who did no wrong.

Want to know what you could have done to avoid the entire situation? Backed your shit up on another server or locally (the fact that you didn't do this shows how much of a rookie you are).

• @lzp thanks for your expert comments and passing a judgement.
    I am sure that you don't know what went wrong with the application or VPS, still you say "You did wrong". Even me and Anthony don't know what caused all this. I would not comment on your posts any more since I think it is off topic and irrelevant information. Sorry if you feel bad about it.

• According to Anthony, you were abusing everything and didn't stop after continuous warnings. If you want this fixed, I suggest you promise that you will stop everything that's causing the problem via a ticket and they may be able to unsuspend, however it's their choice as you broke their terms.