Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is wrong with inception?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is wrong with inception?

qtriangleqtriangle Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

They suspended our vps without giving any opportunity to recover websites, and then they are not responding to any tickets since many hours now.
First they told that issue is with their raid, then they abruptly suspended our vps.
I thought they were good hosts, but can a good host behave like this?
Their own website was down today morning, may be they have issues but they cannot keep silence for a client after closing down his business.
Although I understand abusive VPS can be suspended (Although in this case I did not get opportunity to see if their was real abuse by any application/site), but then client must be given an opportunity to bring critical websites online somehow. Is it normal to expect it from them ?

Comments

• Did you by any chance host this client in the VPS? http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4332/is-this-client-servable

• qtriangleqtriangle Member
    edited December 2012

@rds100 said: Did you by any chance host this client in the VPS? http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4332/is-this-client-servable

:) no no, we do not allow anything like that. As i wrote in that post, our first gut feeling was not to allow them.
    The clients that we hosted on their server are with us for a long time, we just changed them form shared to VPS.
    I cannot understand that if they were running fine on shared, how come they started using so much resources.
    If it is some attack etc, then I should get opportunity to see what is wring and fix it.

• someone has telephone number of them?

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

@qtriangle said: someone has telephone number of them?

http://whois.domaintools.com/inceptionhosting.com

Probably not a support number, though.

• @qtriangle said: someone has telephone number of them?

Nothing a WHOIS on the domain cannot solve...

• @bamn said: Nothing a WHOIS on the domain cannot solve...

It did not solve anything. I thought they have some team working 24x7, but it is just an answering machine.

• I have a VPN running on a NL node, working fine here, is your box in the US?.

• @matessim said: I have a VPN running on a NL node, working fine here, is your box in the US?.

Not all VPS are affected. I guess now all VPS are back again except ours which is suspended. That is why they can afford to have tight sleep, as it is only 1 customer in deep trouble.

edited December 2012

It is weird.. many replies in the tkt were not answered.. I called them, does not work.. Opened another emergency tkt, no answer... sent email to Anthony directly, no reply... used their contact form.. no response.
    I guess that's why it is not advisable dealing with a host who have not published their support numbers on their website. Hard luck. Some hosts are taking unmanaged VPS very lightly. Unmanaged does not mean not replying to emergency tickets :(

• How long have you been waiting on an emergency response?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Companies normally don't suspend clients for fun. If you were suspended it was probably for a reason which does not constitute an emergency for them.

• I'd think communicating the reason for a suspension should be automatic for any serious provider.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@averell said: I'd think communicating the reason for a suspension should be automatic for any serious provider.

+1. That's why I always suspend via WHMCS and not SolusVM since WHMCS asks for a reason and sends an e-mail to the client.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@KuJoe said: +1. That's why I always suspend via WHMCS and not SolusVM since WHMCS asks for a reason and sends an e-mail to the client.

Same here but i also open a ticket to give more details, such as amount of DDoS and previous attacks, ToS article which was breached, quote the DMCA and the evidence we found, things like those.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

The VPS as suspended for being completely out of RAM, SWAP and using 100% of 4 cores 100% of the time and being at around 200 load, not once but 3 times in a row, after it was clear that the VPS was just going to keep doing this I suspended your VPS and sent you the outputs.

24x7 support is available to semi managed customers as per the TOS and standard support hours for individual VPS issues not caused by the infrastructure are available during normal working hours as per the TOS and 2 emails you get upon signing up, 1 of them reads:

If you have this email it means you have agreed to both our acceptable use policy and terms of service, a brief outline of what you have agreed to can be found at the bottom of this email.

This is a self managed service unless you have selected the semi-managed add-on support hours are 10:00 - 18:00 Mon- Fri GMT+0

This was communicated to the op he is aware of the reasons, this caused me to be alerted at 4am to resolve this.

So to answer your question... Nothing is wrong with Inception.

@qtriangle said: Unmanaged does not mean not replying to emergency tickets :(

Your VPS is not unmanaged, it is self managed by you, because you have overloaded your VPS I do not class that as emergency support because that resulted in one of your sites being down

You created an emergency however when you affected multiple customers at the same time with your crazy server loads the result and resolution being the suspension of your VPS, this was resolved within 20 minutes at 4am which I would say is pretty good.

I am sorry you did not take any time to read the terms of the support offered.

• I never understand the resource consumption issue to the point of degrading other users on server.

Surely, whatever virtualization you use allows you to demote the container - reduce the resources, priority, etc. Unsure why more providers that have these issues don't just contain users with hard limits and box them in as needed.

@pubscrawler not really, to some degree on OpenVZ, however when someone is generating over 10,000 disk IO R+W requests p/second I assure you any platform will suffer.

• Anthony, I dont want to criticise any service provider.
    If my business is fucked by a provider without any due courtesy, it makes me upset.
    If you destroy someone's website then you cannot hide y saying that your support hours are limited.
    I was not asking for any support. I was just asking for cooperation/courtesy in bringing it online.
    You just drop an email, suspend websites for 24 hours without giving an opportunity of doing anything. That is not helpful or normal.
    You also say that telephone support is for managed customer so you did not answer the call. How did you come to know that a caller is unmanaged/self managed without picking his call?
    I cannot shift my websites everyday so continuing for now is my only option.

• Nothing is wrong with Inception, it's a great movie actually. Oh wait, what's this thread about?

• @qtriangle said: You just drop an email, suspend websites for 24 hours without giving an opportunity of doing anything. That is not helpful or normal.

Support hours are support hours. What your saying is he should be waiting for your response before he takes any action. Then he could turn around and say the same, why didn't you respond as soon as you received the suspension email?

• The million dollar question here isn't really if a user is abusing or not, but whether the person is given the opportunity to move out/have access and secondly if there is some means with OpenVZ to contain the abusiveness inside the container moreso.

I suspect there is something providers do and perhaps another OpenVZ shop can chime in. I am seeing less of these abuse matters with the more established providers. Assuming they have some other way to deal with the node abuse.

• @pubcrawler said: I suspect there is something providers do and perhaps another OpenVZ shop can chime in. I am seeing less of these abuse matters with the more established providers. Assuming they have some other way to deal with the node abuse.

InceptionHosting are Xen. And regardless of virtualization type users are still sharing the same hardware, there is no fool-proof way of restrictions things such as disk I/O or load. Even a VPS with access to one core can cause high loads.

I suppose in the end it comes down to how strict the provider is, if i spot something that could cause problems for others, its getting suspended pending customer response.

• Yeah you can't have all of your other clients suffer because of one client

edited December 2012

@GetKVM_Ash said: Support hours are support hours. What your saying is he should be waiting for your response before he takes any action. Then he could turn around and say the same, why didn't you respond as soon as you received the suspension email?

No, I am saying that if your support operators are available all the time, as you claim, then you should attend to an event where you have abruptly suspended a VPS and send him email without any further communication. That customer is frustrated like hell and you are hiding behind your terms, even if you could have helped him. These are things like this which separate a good host from a great one.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Each virtualization has ways to throttle a VPS, however, they differ a lot.
    There are some abuses you cant defend against and one of them is disk, you may throttle io on some platforms, but in practice it does not work that well.

• @qtriangle said: you are hiding behind your terms

How can you hide behind TOS. You as a customer agreed to those before sign up. There's nothing to hide behind.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: How can you hide behind TOS. You as a customer agreed to those before sign up. There's nothing to hide behind.

You are not getting it. I will give you another example.
    Let's say you working in 9-5 schedule of the day. Working hours is something written in your appointment letter.
    There is an instance when your boss tell you at 4:55 PM that he needs 1 hour of your time to solve a problem. You can say you will not, because as per terms you are not to be in office after 5:00 PM. But if you care for your job and boss, you will try to do something for him. If you don't, your boss will think you are a stubborn underworking brat, even if you think you are not, as per your "TERMS".

• @qtriangle said: You also say that telephone support is for managed customer so you did not answer the call. How did you come to know that a caller is unmanaged/self managed without picking his call?

I don't see him saying it anywhere above.

I am with IH for 1.5 years and didn't have any major issues, except those ones with snel.