Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it VPS, or VPSs? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it VPS, or VPSs?

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@lzp naah, don't fall on that little diversion and try to stay with topic. You explained it well no matter if we all agree or disagree regarding topic of discussion and that's great. Interesting reading and finally very pleasant LET discussion. Lets keep it that way.

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Its VPS' pronounced the same as you'd say VPS with a little bit more of an S than normal :)

• It's pronounced veepee essess but written as VPSs.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited December 2012

@Oliver said: I made a mistake though. Abbreviation != Acronym.

You didn't make a mistake. An acronym is a form of abbreviation. Thus the proper plural is VPSs, not VPSes or with any sort of apostrophe usage.

@sleddog said: VPSs

No apostrophe (it isn't a possesive or a contraction), no e (the word being pluralized is server = servers).

Arguably, Virtual Private Witnesses would be VPWes....

Precisely.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@MartinD said: It's pronounced veepee essess but written as VPSs.

vipppssss

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A wuttttt

• VPS's

• I think this thread is most popular thread of the day.

• Cut the crap, virtual servers. Have a good night.

• It's kinda funny everyone forgot to ask which language you are answering for :-D

Oh come on! Even lazy, you can't really forget there is a British English, a North-American English and an international English!!

• @Miky said: North-American English

No such thing :)

• I really don't care, but I say VPSs.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@lzp said: You seem butthurt for some reason. Were any of my facts incorrect?

I take no issue with the facts (all factual information appears correct as far as I can see). I take more issue with you saying that "this is about facts, not opinions" and then proceeding to write a giant post whose conclusion is almost entirely based on opinions.

EDIT: No, I'm not "butthurt" - I have no reason to be. I'm simply pointing out an inconsistency in your posts.

@lzp said: the most commonly used grammar book (in colleges) was written by two people who had no idea how to write.

@lzp said: everyone who isn't a shitty professor agrees that it's a horrible reference

@lzp said: due to the cycle of shitty teaching

@lzp said: Essentially, the book just teaches you to do many things the wrong way.

These are a lot of opinions or at the very least alleged "facts" that need backing up. The entire argument you are trying to make is built on these.

@lzp said: but those changes were adopted because they were beneficial.

Here you appear to be implying that the concept of changing language does not apply here because the change is not "beneficial", for which I have not seen any reasoning. Seeing as writing it in an apparently "incorrect" way provides superior readability, I'd say the claim that it's not "beneficial" needs some backing up.

• @joepie91 so what you're saying? It it VPS's? Or VPSs? Or VPSes? Or..? :)

• lzplzp Member
    edited December 2012

I think he's claiming VPSes, which would logically be Virtual Private Serveres (wrong no matter how you use it).
    VPS's would be Virtual Private Server's (in otherwords, belonging to the Server, not plural).
    VPSs would come out to Virtual Private Servers.

edited December 2012

@Spirit said: @joepie91 so what you're saying? It it VPS's? Or VPSs? Or VPSes? Or..? :)

I have no idea what it is technically supposed to be - apparently VPSs - but if you want people to actually be able to read what you're writing, you'll probably want to use VPSes. Hence a great example of language changing for the benefit of it.

@lzp said: I think he's claiming VPSes, which would logically be Virtual Private Serveres (wrong no matter how you use it).

VPS's would be Virtual Private Server's (in otherwords, belonging to the Server, not plural).
    VPSs would come out to Virtual Private Servers.

That would only fly if you'd mentally read "Virtual Private Server" every time you saw "VPS". As far as I am aware, people usually read it as a sequence of letters, and not as the meaning of said sequence. Which makes the whole argument about "Virtual Private Serveres" somewhat irrelevant.

@darknessends Clearly I'm not the only one bugged by this.

• Unless you can replace the term with Virtual Machines, VM or VMs.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

We need to stop the mismash of wrong words to clear up the mess.

This is OpenVZ's page describing their product:

OpenVZ is container-based virtualization for Linux. OpenVZ creates multiple secure, isolated Linux containers (otherwise known as VEs or VPSs) on a single physical server enabling better server utilization and ensuring that applications do not conflict.

KVM describes itself as:

KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT or AMD-V). It consists of a loadable kernel module, kvm.ko, that provides the core virtualization infrastructure and a processor specific module, kvm-intel.ko or kvm-amd.ko. KVM also requires a modified QEMU although work is underway to get the required changes upstream.

Using KVM, one can run multiple virtual machines running unmodified Linux or Windows images. Each virtual machine has private virtualized hardware: a network card, disk, graphics adapter, etc.

Citrix Xen says:

Citrix XenServer is a complete, managed server virtualization platform built on the powerful Xen hypervisor.

Server virtualization is a proven technology that enables multiple virtual machines to run on a single physical server.

Clearly, OpenVZ is the leader by adoption in this market. The language confusion seems attributable to them. They call VPS plural, VPSs. But note they also call these containers VEs.

KVM writes out the situation as "multiple virtual machines", a route I'd take while being verbose.

Citrix uses actually the very same language, verbatim, "multiple virtual machines" and then clearly states "a single physical server".

Hope that helps :)

VPSs looks like a Nazi starter kit. I'd steer clear of it because it looks totally wrong and going to be a point of useless argument. Refer to KVM and Citrix and how they dance around it.

• @pubcrawler said: KVM writes out the situation as "multiple virtual machines", a route I'd take while being verbose.

That's because "one can run VPSs running unmodified Linux etc." doesn't sound good.

• True @gubbyte.

What folks are selling typically is a single virtual machine to a customer. In case that customer buys several the "multiple virtual machines" works.

It's a funny topic since the entire acronym seems unnecessary, like most acronyms.

• @RobertJFClarke "Clearly I'm not the only one bugged by this."

It's been bugging people for years:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=753321
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/158900-plural-vps.html

"That would only fly if you'd mentally read "Virtual Private Server" every time you saw "VPS".

If the advertisement is from a provider like Prometeus or CloudVPS then I mentally read VPS as "Virtual Private Server". If the advertisement is from a provider like DixHost or XenSpeed then I mentally read VPS as "Virtual Piece of Shit".

• edited December 2012

Lets put this all into perspective here - is the United States of America USesA or USA. I think that answers it pretty well

• DylanDylan Member
    edited December 2012

Though you'd normally pluralize words already ending in "s" by adding an "es" (e.g. dresses, gases), acronyms are a special exception and most of the major style guides (Chicago, MLA, APA, and AP) say to just add an "s" regardless of what the acronym ends in (e.g. VPSs, HDDs, SSDs).

This is only an issue of style, though, and as long as you're not writing professionally for publication you're fine using "es" or "'s" if you prefer how they look. The most important thing is to just be consistent -- don't use "VPSs" in one sentence and "VPSes" in the next.

And never use VPS'es, because that's plain wrong.

@pubcrawler said: Clearly, OpenVZ is the leader by adoption in this market. The language confusion seems attributable to them. They call VPS plural, VPSs. But note they also call these containers VEs.

Heh. If the quality of writing on their wiki is any indication, OpenVZ is possibly the worst source to follow for proper use of a language :)

@zachfedora said: Lets put this all into perspective here - is the United States of America USesA or USA. I think that answers it pretty well

Actually, it doesn't. The acronym "USA" already stands for a pluralized version ("United States of America"). It does not represent "United State of America". The pluralization is literally part of the acronym itself.

What we are discussing here is the plural forum of an acronym that in itself represents a singular term ("Virtual Private Server").

• Gollum would say VPSes :)

Pretty sure it's an even tie here, did we reach a decision?

• @RobertJFClarke said: Pretty sure it's an even tie here, did we reach a decision?

Yup. It's VPSs. Pronounced VPSes.

• VPS plural version isn't even per se a real word. Whole issue is a matter of origin. I think OpenVZ started the muck.

Server virtualize= Virtual Private Server
    A single container within the VPS = Virtual Machine
    Plural containers = Virtual Machines (VMs)