Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[TRIAL] BuyVM needs people to help test vswap - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[TRIAL] BuyVM needs people to help test vswap

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@Adam : Yup, Just what I was thinking about :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Adam said: Install Handbrake and have some fun ;) I think I'll encode some stuff for my iPhone and iPad.

I did that on my Hostigation vSwap test ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

This trial has been a nightmare but thankfully was able to collect up bug reports:

http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2093

Francisco

• Any got an IP for one of these boxes?

• Aww you have ran out, i wanted to test one for myself and you guy's since we have all had so much trouble with RHEL6. Hope you get thing's running smoothly, its about time someone did :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited November 2011

doh you ran out when i tried to sign up ... was going to do part 2 of compression tests http://vbtechsupport.com/1576/ on the provided VPS but with much larger file sizes and memory consumption :)

• Dangit, sold out.

• Interesting tests you got there Fran, please keep us updated.

• I bet you will need more users to fill the node well :D

• @dmmcintyre3 said: That's what I did with Hostigation's vswap test, and it's what I'm doing with this one. (tntabuse.d3vm.net if you want to do some testing yourself)

Outdates Server! Needs 1.0.0 :D

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited November 2011

@gsrdgrdghd said: Outdates Server! Needs 1.0.0 :D

I can't make my massive TNT stuff fast enough without bukkit/worldedit.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited November 2011

@dmmcintyre3 said: I can't make my massive TNT stuff fast enough without bukkit/worldedit.

Oh :D
    Btw if you wanna see a cool thing with WorldEdit select an area of like 10,000-15,000 blocks and do //set chest

;)

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?a=add&pid=100&carttpl=cart

For those interested in helping.

These are 512's instead and this node (node98) is running a very different setup compared to node99.

We'll document our findings for everyone :)

Thanks!

Francisco

Thanked by 1Taylor
  • @ Franisco Thanks grabbed one, Waiting to be allocated :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Already outta stock again.

• Damn it!

• Ok, just to say some points, independently of the crashes:

About the RAM usage, as you can notice, is lower compared with the RHEL 5 OpenVZ. The RAM usage isn't the allocated memory anymore, so, you can use software like Java without problems I guess. My main services are Quake 3 based gameservers, and before RHEL 6 I was using lots of memory just to start the server because was allocating a lot of RAM. Now my usage is like in Xen, KVM and so.

About the CPU. Now I feel the CPU less isolated than before. Some utilities report you 16 threads (dual quad core with HT). Particularly, I use taskset to put some affinity to my process, and it reports a deffault affinity to the CPUs 0 to 15. Also, you can't set the affinity anymore:

# taskset -pc 626 1
    pid 1's current affinity list: 0-15
    pid 1's new affinity list: 0-15

About CPU usage, the information shown by htop or top isn't accurate anymore, and probably the loads aren't too. A gameserver running at this moment with 32 bots, must be using around 1/2 of one core, and just that core (and depending of the load, can be spiking to 100% of one core). In htop I just see random cores spiking a little and going back to 0% and my loads are around 0.05-0.20.

I have noticed this behavior with my UptimeVPS box (yeah I know), and seems to be the default behavior in RHEL 6.

And about the crashes, that DowntimeVPS boxes were AMD platforms mostly, and my VPS was running fine for one month. Maybe this are issues associated to the Intel instruction set? Just guessing.

My 2 cents

The issue looks to be related to vswap.

While running memtester and allocating vswap the box would deadlock almost instantly.

Now we've swapped everyone on node98 from 512/512 to 1024/0 and we're getting no lockups with memtester.

Francisco

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited November 2011

Is there a chance you could get me a trial VPS tonight Francisco? I would love to benchmark it and do lot's of tests on it! :)

Going to load up some more in a few.

I think we've figured out where the issue is. At this point after our latest adjustment things have remained stable, even with the node sitting at 400 loads from people forkbombing prime95 >_>

Francisco

Stock has been loaded.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited November 2011

Your Order Number is: 4498574640 :D

Hey @vmport come get some! :P

• Is the provisioning instant? I am asking because I haven't received my VPS yet.. Sorry for being a pain, but I've always wanted to try BuyVM and now I can with a trial! :)

I dunno what Anthony is doing for provisions.

This isn't going to be a very good test as the box is just raped hard, 190 loads right now from everyone giving it their all :P

Francisco

• Holy ****! 0_0

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited November 2011

All I am hoping for is to get my VPS. Also, Francisco, I am getting a bank account next week so I can make a purchase from my Paypal account, when is the next time BuyVM will have more stock?

The point of this trial is to help us debug/test/etc this kernel :)

Francisco

• I know :) I wonder where Anthony is, I'm so impatient :P

• I submitted a ticket giving mine up. Was going to have a play, but some other stuff has come up. Might as well let someone else properly participate :P