Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

urpad thoughts - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

urpad thoughts

13»

Comments

• Well at least your honest @Damian. I know you have mulitple vps with multiple pv's so I respect your opinion. I am just doing my research before I buy so if it offended anybody sorry.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

well ok, maybe I read more in to it than was intended, just seemed a little like you were saying, I hear URPad have gone down hill can anyone else confirm, which is a very odd thing for a host to do but perhaps you did not intend it to be like that.

• @AnthonySmith I don't like to buy things just based on a whim, people here do a lot of benchmarking and testing. They buy multiple vps's and have lists of who they will use and who they won't. I have always read here they were a decent host, but the last couple of weeks left me shaken a little bit as I was ready to buy.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@24khost fair enough, I probably read to much in to it, apologies :)

• it's alright @AnthonySmith, I ain't mad at ya.

• @24khost said: good to hear that is looks like @gsrdgrdghd issues may get solved.

So far not, but since i don't use that VPS much i don't put too much effort into getting it fixed.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

@FTNChris said: When you signed up you agreed to our TOS stating that there are no refunds on VPS services. If a refund request however is granted it's not really a top priority it will be answered just not as quickly as the others.

Alright, I'm not out here to get you @FTNChris, but let me just play this out here.

I requested a refund on 12/01/2012 (Your Cyber Monday Offer was posted on 11/25/2012 and I immediately purchased one). This is 6 days after purchase (on a yearly plan) that I requested a refund. I Before that, on 11/26/2012 (aka, a day after purchase) I opened up two separate support tickets about the newly provisioned Cyber Monday Offer VPS. One was about the SolusVM Provisioning (which bugged up and created the container and everything but wasn't in my Solus account, understandable that this just randomly happened I guess) and the other was about the VPS CPU Speed (of which it was 850 MHz with 4 cores). The way I was told, there was basically nothing I could do except deal with 4x 850MHz cores. Now, I very much appreciate URPad giving me a refund 2 weeks after my initial support ticket requesting a refund, but I just find this unacceptable.

To my knowledge, I don't break ToS. I understand that providers are also people and I try to be as helpful and work with you guys on this. If I don't like something I try to work with the provider to try and fix it, because we're both basically in a partnership to get work done. You're here to provide a service I need in order to get what I want done (which could be profitable or not). If my service/profits on that specific service fails, then I could decided to stop that service. Stopping that service would mean I wouldn't renew/continue our partnership and therefore you lose a source of income. Because I don't want that to happen (its a loss/loss to both of us) I try and work with and sometimes do take one for the team to get things working for both of us. The entire reason why I requested a refund was because I just didn't see a way for me to make this VPS work with what I needed. I'm not out to get you, but I just don't have a use for a CPU stunted VPS with a heavily restricted ToS (focusing only on Web essentially) wouldn't be useful for me when I already have another VPS specifically focused for the web with you.

Also, I just re-read your ToS. I don't see any ToS stating there's no refund on VPS services. Now, it does say the 30-day money-back guarantee is only applied to Shared and Reseller hosting, but it doesn't specifically state no refunds to VPS services. Look, I'm trying to be reasonable here but don't start suddenly acting like you were doing me a favor by refunding me my 21 dollars. If you seriously feel I have violated your ToS (by requesting a refund) then I'll be happy to give back the 21 dollars, but I personally don't feel comfortable with your stance to this as if you were doing me a "favor" (aleast that's how I feel to your response).

• what's so strange about their tos?

• @sandro said: what's so strange about their tos?

Read it.

• fanfan Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: but I just find this unacceptable

At least you're lucky enough to get your money back, pity for the rest trapped there.

• @sandro said: what's so strange about their tos?

"Offering video and/or audio streaming or downloads, MP3 Files, Games and shareware is also not permitted on any URPad.net server(s)."

This clause for instance. I run a small podcast, and was very leery of URPad due to that clause. Sales assured me that it wouldn't be a problem as long as I own the copyright, but that's not what it says in their TOS.

I did a month trial with them and had very low I/O and other benchmarks (I have a thread somewhere on here about that). After filing a ticket, things improved somewhat but still not enough. I canceled the account after a month.

Interestingly even though I got a cancellation confirmation a week before the month ended, I still got billed a second month. Had to file another ticket about that too.

Also, even though I had a WHT special that wasn't eligible for their loyalty program, the cancellation e-mail said that if I canceled I would no longer be eligible for the loyalty program. I coulda had a pocketlamp!!!!!

One other annoying thing (maybe it's a limitation of SolusVM) is that when you first order your VPS, it only gives you a subset of possible OS installations. For example, if you want Debian minimal, it's not an option when you first install.

• @patrokov said: pocketlamp!!!!!

wait, people who did not cancel their 21/year 1gb deal can have the pocket lamp?

• @patrokov said: that's not what it says in their TOS.

But it is. The line you quoted was from the section "Examples of unacceptable material on all Shared/Reseller Hosting servers include..."

I've used my URPad yearly for streaming media. So far, nary a peep from them.

• @24khost said: Though I do have to say that @FTNChris did a pretty good job of customer service

Was that before or after he threatened Kevin's life? ;)

/whistles and walks away quietly.

• lzplzp Member
    edited December 2012

There are other providers with equivalent price/performance ratio. The difference is that with another provider you will get support that isn't mentally challenged.

I won't go into the specifics of my issue with them (I know how providers like to go through old tickets when someone mentions anything), I'll only state that they provided such horrible support that even some providers and their outsourced "tech support" seemed like geniuses in comparison.

This is just my warning, and you can do as you please after reading it. The server itself seemed to be fine; it was pretty generic. Just hope you never have an issue.

Editing to add that I only got service from them because I kept reading about how great they were, but it turns out that was all before being sold to the current owners. As you can tell, even from comments here, they aren't all that great any longer.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited December 2012

@FTNChris said: There are no issues with support everything has been answered swiftly within minutes

I understand HalfEatenPie's escalation may have been deprioritized since it was about a refund, but I've had the same experience with non-refund tickets waiting for management. Two tickets about OpenVZ templates escalated to the promptly-replying Curtis (well, on one tech support told me I was simply wrong, even though I wasn't, so I had to resubmit it as billing to get to him), but both sat there for days after that waiting for a manager (and then got no response until I bumped them). One that I submitted on the 15th is still "on hold."

I'm not going to complain too much since I'm on a $12/yr VPS and performance of the VPS itself has been perfectly acceptable, but it's still a bit frustrating.

• @Dylan, nothing new. I've had critical tickets sitting there for days without a reply.

• @lzp said:
    Editing to add that I only got service from them because I kept reading about how great they were, but it turns out that was all before being sold to the current owners. As you can tell, even from comments here, they aren't all that great any longer.

I don't think that is a fair assessment. We've got thousands of customers, most of which are completely happy and satisfied with their service. I'm not saying we've had dissatisfied ones, because as you've seen we most certainly have had some of those too. And I'll even give it to you that there have been areas on which we can improve, and guess what? We're working on it. URPad will continue to strive to be THE go-to budget host with good support and good services in a variety of destinations worldwide. We will always take criticism as an opportunity to improve and show that we are THE best.

@Dylan said: I understand HalfEatenPie's escalation may have been deprioritized since it was about a refund, but I've had the same experience with non-refund tickets waiting for management. Two tickets about OpenVZ templates escalated to the promptly-replying Curtis (well, on one tech support told me I was simply wrong, even though I wasn't, so I had to resubmit it as billing to get to him), but both sat there for days after that waiting for a manager (and then got no response until I bumped them). One that I submitted on the 15th is still "on hold."

I'm not going to complain too much since I'm on a $12/yr VPS and performance of the VPS itself has been perfectly acceptable, but it's still a bit frustrating.

@lzp said: @Dylan, nothing new. I've had critical tickets sitting there for days without a reply.

Can you two share a ticket id# so that we can look into this more?

• @MannDude said: we are THE best.

meme

• @CVPS_Kevin, even with all of their issues, I'd take them over ChicagoVPS every time.

• edited December 2012

@CVPS_Kevin said: @MannDude said: we are THE best.

You know two or three months ago you would of said the exact same thing. Don't you need to get your beauty sleep if you're going to continue to be 'big sexy Kevin' as you call yourself? Arrogant much?

=P

EDIT: Wow you sure edited your Twitter fast.

• @MannDude said: EDIT: Wow you sure edited your Twitter fast.

Because it was outdated and plastered with FTN and said I worked there which I no longer don't, thanks for reminding me that I needed to update that, haven't been using Twitter much

• Alot can be said about a company with the way they treat their ex-employees ! it sure shouts alot when it desperately tries to frame him in bad-light for ever.

And i for sure have noted it , will never consider / recommend Urpad ever.

• How is he being framed in a bad-light? How is he being framed in general?

Anyway, I'll share my Urpad experience. I bought a yearly with them. I had problems on the Dallas node (slow I/O) and they moved me to a node in LA. Working fine since.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am ok with them.
    Sure, no stellar performance, but you should be mad to expect it at 1.75/1 gb ram.
    Everything above 30 mb/s in "dd test" is ok at this price.
    I have seen better (but not much) at same price marks, but urpad is not going to run anytime soon.
    Shouldnt be used as main production box, after all, the time to setup is worth more than a few extra bucks for premium LEBs but otherwise is a great price for the stuff.

• @Maounique said: Shouldnt be used as main production box

why not?