Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

urpad thoughts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

urpad thoughts

24khost24khost Member
edited December 2012 in General

so I have been watching wht again, as on look out for something specific and have happened to read multiple threads now about support not being up to snuff. I am not ripping another provider. Just wondering about any of you guys that may have a urpad vps how is it going with you. Thinking about getting one for testing purposes.

Comments

• I think they just get hammered with tons of kids on WHT posting shit, because they might have a large db of users or are growing a bit. But they do have a couple of representatives on WHT always active and stuff, i'd definitely recommend trying them :P

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@24khost said: as on look out for something specific

What would that be? ;-)

• it works, not bad

• new design for 24khost.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@24khost said: new design for 24khost.

Ah nice, so why you questioning UrPAD? I don't think they do designs? Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Edit: Sorry, I get you. I've used Urpad before and they're "OK"

• NexusNexus Member
    edited December 2012

Ouch, I didn't see that review/topic.... I am a bit eerie now.

• I wouldn't be. Considering the number of edits that always happen with his posts 'after-the-fact' I wouldn't pay it any attention.

• I recently posted a review on them, terrible.

• fanfan Veteran

They seemed to be good in the past, that's why I got their Cyber Monday special, then it turned me down. And definitely I'm not a kid.

• =D

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Kevin is certainly distancing himself from them, as he probably should.

• @CVPS_Kevin Buffalo 30/year still active right?

• @jcaleb said: Buffalo 30/year still active right?

Yes

• Got a ticket and about 2 weeks without answer :\

• I am very surprised. They were highly spoke of when I first came here but it seems there are multiple people having problems right now.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited December 2012

They will hate me for saying this, but Im just going to say it, it's been on my mind for months, lol.

That FTNHosting.net site looks like complete garbage man, having that linked on your beautiful site "urpad" kinda makes it look bad in my opinion.... (Just my opinion, sure urpad is great, but this shit has been on mind for months, I had to burst my bubble)

• Tagging @HalfEatenPie in here.

• I have the $12 yearly VPS

root@testbed:~# ~/debian.sh test
    Classic I/O test
    dd if=/dev/zero of=iotest bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -fr iotest
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.5 s, 93.4 MB/s
    Network test
    wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O 100mb.test && rm -fr 100mb.test
    --2012-12-19 20:35:31--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: "100mb.test"

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 2.15M/s   in 46s

2012-12-19 20:36:17 (2.17 MB/s) - "100mb.test" saved [104857600/104857600]

The VPS is laggy but still its better than SemoWeb's $12/yr (I have that one too)

root@testbed:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 58
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    stepping        : 9
    cpu MHz         : 3400.013
    cache size      : 8192 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 8
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 4
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms
    bogomips        : 6800.02
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Using Xeoncross/lowendscript just incase you are wondering

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited December 2012

Well, before I had no problem with URPad, but now I'm getting a bit more disappointed.

1. I got their old 1GB Deal a few months ago, it had horrible I/O (and after a single complaint post on LET) Kevin got me transferred to another server in a different location (it was fine, I was ok with it).

2. The Quality of that service was good... until recently. Now this server has 80-90% Packetloss in the last week or so and I just can't use it.

URPad's 1 GB Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal:

1. This one just crashed and burned. I/O was atrocious, CPU was throttled like no other. Their network on this one was great, but the physical server itself was horrible.

2. I requested a refund. I received a refund (Basically means they're not out to get you). This is after about 2 weeks of waiting (or was it 1? I really don't remember (and really care to remember right now)). Manndude was awesome with getting my support ticket answered within 10 minutes of it being up (he escalated it to management), but that's where I received no support for the next few days. I had to update the ticket in order to get a response back.

Conclusion

They're nice people. I enjoy talking to the URPad staff. The product they're selling (atleast in my opinion) is another story. I don't want to bash them or anything because I really do want them to succeed especially since I currently have a semi-critical project hosted on one of the VPSes there (this was probably my second VPS I ever got ever). But right now the quality has gone down-hill and I'm possibly looking at a migration off of it as a whole.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited December 2012

@Nexus said: I think they just get hammered with tons of kids on WHT posting shit, because they might have a large db of users or are growing a bit. But they do have a couple of representatives on WHT always active and stuff, i'd definitely recommend trying them :P

Yeah exactly anyone want a Pocketlamp? There are no issues with support everything has been answered swiftly within minutes in some cases there are a few which aren't answered as quick as the others which has mostly caused this but which aren't usually handled by unmanaged providers.

@MartinD said: I wouldn't be. Considering the number of edits that always happen with his posts 'after-the-fact' I wouldn't pay it any attention.

I don't like them for this. They are good at this now. But this is now why I am complaining. Being from the same user in the same thread there seems to be a pattern there.

@giang said: Got a ticket and about 2 weeks without answer :\

Could you private message me your latest Ticket ID?

@HalfEatenPie said: URPad's 1 GB Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal:

The amount of abusers which came from that deal were horrid.

@HalfEatenPie said: I requested a refund. I received a refund. This is after about 2 weeks of waiting (or was it 1? I really don't remember (and really care to remember right now)). Manndude was awesome with getting my support ticket answered within 10 minutes of it being up (he escalated it to management), but that's where I received no support for the next few days. I had to update the ticket in order to get a response back.

When you signed up you agreed to our TOS stating that there are no refunds on VPS services. If a refund request however is granted it's not really a top priority it will be answered just not as quickly as the others.

• Since when they have a UK location?

• @sandro said: Since when they have a UK location?

Since May.. It's another quick selling location like Luxemburg the only way to get it is that you have to watch for when it is in stock.

• From my 12$/year VPS:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  3400.139 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   44 days, 23:34,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 879KB/s
    I/O speed :  45.9 MB/s

I don't really need it and since they offer no refunds i never really bothered contacting their support regarding this.

• I guess I will keep watching @FTNChris for a couple of more weeks as have seen a few to many bad reviews latley. All be it you fixed the issues after they posted on WHT.

• wow i/o seems kinda low but not terrible.

• @24khost said: wow i/o seems kinda low but not terrible.

You think the IO is low?

I'll show you low (same VPS):

root@us1:/home/user/ioping-0.6# ./ioping .
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=1 time=12765.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=2 time=129.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=3 time=89.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=4 time=123.6 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=5 time=176.0 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=6 time=176.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=7 time=63.8 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=8 time=214.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=9 time=161.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=10 time=184.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=11 time=309.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=12 time=330.3 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /vz/private/10689): request=13 time=206.9 ms
    ^C
    --- . (simfs /vz/private/10689) ioping statistics ---
    13 requests completed in 27377.6 ms, 1 iops, 0.0 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 63.8/1148.5/12765.7/3354.4 ms
  • It says SOLD OUT on LEB and shows: N.B. There is a limited stock for the Enterprise $30/year promotion and it ends midnight EST 27/11/2012!

So, is that a mistake or are you guys out of stock?

• that's not so bad I guess.