Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTB $6 yearly vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WTB $6 yearly vps

RurikoRuriko Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

Can someone price match IPXcore $6 yearly vps? I'm bored of waiting for them to restock.
Specs are:
32mb RAM
5GB HDD
100GB Bandwidth

Comments

• As per Damian on IRC, they will not be restocked.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@Ruriko said: I'm bored of waiting for them to restock.

We decided to stop selling these.

@Ruriko said: Can someone price match IPXcore $6 yearly vps?

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing so, unless they enjoy a lot of stress.

• oh ok :(

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can match it in Seattle, however with 50GB of BW, instead of 100.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

I can probably match it in Chicago, LA or NC with 50GB BW too.

• Feels like a waste of an IP more than anything.

• @Jono20201 said: Feels like a waste of an IP more than anything.

+1 These kind of plans wont exist soon (At least not until IPv6 is running natively world wide)

• +1 about the plans being IP waste space and IPV6 enabling them to continue.

What do folks use these for? VPN?

• Not for everyone the IP cost would be any problem, but i too don't intend to offer any similar plan. Just not worth the trouble and risk.

• Disagree. It's only a waste of an IP if it's never used.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2012

@Jono20201 said: Feels like a waste of an IP more than anything.

How wasted? Since when is plan resources specification measure for wasted/non wasted IP?

edit.
    Some of us don't waste just IPs but also money. With VPSs with bigger resources specifications than we really need.

• @Spirit said: Since when is plan resources specification measure for wasted/non wasted IP?

Exactly. It's silly.

And why are we being discouraged from using lowendboxes on lowendtalk.com?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

The tipping point for us was when a single person signed up for an excessive number of the 32mb plans, then complained when our SSH-brute-force detection system blocked him from operating on them in parallel. At 50 cents/month, it wasn't cost-effective to spend a lot of time on support issues with them, yet clients seemed to want the world delivered to them. Surprisingly, we had very few issues in terms of actual abuse.

Another point is that I can sell fewer resources for $7/month, and only have to sell one to one client to make $7, instead of needing to sell 14 to make $7. Those 14 would then have 14 IPs, 14 transaction fees, 14 crons running 14 times an hour, etc. It's also easier to ensure good quality for one product than 14, especially when it grows exponentially.

@pubcrawler said: What do folks use these for? VPN?

It's a mix of VPN, proxies, torrent, small gameservers, TOR relays, DNS servers, teamspeak.

• Totally makes sense @Damian. Resource contention issues with all those small accounts.

VPN, proxy, yeppers. DNS and Teamspeak, can see that happening too.

Tor and torrent, uggh! Those are the worst things on a server I swear. I'd never allow them.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Even IP's cost about $1/mth min now because we're basically out. $6/yr wouldn't even cover half of the cost of just the IP alone. How does a provider make any kind of profit?

• @Eased IP costs are different if you get your IPs directly from RIPE or ARIN.

• @Eased, a provider has bulk IP plan with upstream that is less than $1 per IP per month...

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@Eased said: Even IP's cost about $1/mth min now because we're basically out. $6/yr wouldn't even cover half of the cost of just the IP alone. How does a provider make any kind of profit?

Our IPs do not cost $1/month. Our IPs are less than 50 cents; we aren't going to stay in business by selling things for less than cost.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Yes, but you think the companies above are buying large IP blocks directly from ARIN/RIPE? Don't think so.

• @Eased said: Yes, but you think the companies above are buying large IP blocks directly from ARIN/RIPE? Don't think so.

No, but there upstream provider would be ColoCrossing and im sure they will go direct to ARIN/RIPE :)

• @Ruriko said: I'm bored of waiting for them to restock.

An alternative is to ask someone for an unused one. We aren't selling new ones anymore, but are willing to foster trading existing ones.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@Damian said: We aren't selling new ones anymore, but are willing to foster trading existing ones.

Well in that case, before I hit cancel, @Ruriko you want this? I never used it, I just can't pass up good deals ;)

• $6/yr. that's so much moneyyyy. :) What's next $1/yr. ?

• @qhoster said: What's next $1/yr. ?

Yeah, and 8MB RAM, 1GB HDD, 5GB BW?

• @andre I'd love that. :D

• @jarland said: Well in that case, before I hit cancel, @Ruriko you want this? I never used it, I just can't pass up good deals ;)

I'd love that! :D

• @Damian said: An alternative is to ask someone for an unused one. We aren't selling new ones anymore, but are willing to foster trading existing ones.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/166767#Comment_166767

No reply there. If anyone is interested maybe we can try again....

• I honestly don't know what people do with these VPSs.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited December 2012

@gubbyte said: I honestly don't know what people do with these VPSs.

I have a couple of LEB's I use as a proxy [VPN] to access some geographically restricted websites (eg Hulu), and also use a couple for encrypted backups..

I guess some people could want some simple web or DNS hosting, or just for testing / playing around on and don't want to mess with a production server

• They work great as minimal repo servers, to act as a central location to hold scripts, repositories, and other files with low or no overhead.