Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk vs WebHostingTalk - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk vs WebHostingTalk

Comments

• I hate to say this,but for once I have to agree with Lee.

• LeeLee Veteran

lazyt said: I hate to say this,but for once I have to agree with Lee.

Everyone agrees with me at least once in their life.

• @Licensecart said:
    Depends on your taste.

WHT: Policed and you are punished like criminals if you do something the admin (bear) / mods don't like.

LET: It's more a minor forum with a few adults who talk about cheap things.

VPSBoard: A more grown up forum based on mainly VPS.

Actually when you cut all the offer from WHT you got around 100 threads a day (and 200+ offers threads)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/62366/how-many-are-daily-offers-at-wht

LET is around 60-70 threads a day but most of the threads are longer (with more post) than in WHT so it is on the Libra which is more Live forum at current state....

Here you can make a contact and talk with a lot of CEO, CTO, Admins, Network Engineers, Senior Devs... Even from brands that do not have low end offers and the low end barrier of the offers, cut the competitiveness so you can get a normal talk with them...

Also it is not All work and business I found LET has threads that create amusement and fun an that is important if you work in stressful environment ...

WHT looks bigger and has years of threads/posts history but it is in decline stage of normal hosting business talk ... (if something is not changed)

VPSboard got very good technical threads but it is a bit small for my taste I visit forums once on several hours or when I'm waiting something to finish ... If in that interval nothing change or not a lot of change I time I start to visit it more rarely...

Thanked by 1StackVPS
  • Even though I was apart of the WHT Community I left, And the reason I did so was because I got so frustrated with how the mods and admins acted. On their other site FWHT the mods are much nicer and more respectable.

that is why I created the site whrally.com Because I was tired of how they acted and wanted to build a board to pretty closely compete with them be be a bit more modern not so corporatism as I call it.

• AshAsh Member

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Unfortunately, IMHO it has lost some of the spirit to help each other, and many comments tends to be a parade of signature.

Can't argue with that. It's a common complaint and I'm not entirely sure how we fix it.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Maestro said: that is why I created the site whrally.com Because I was tired of how they acted and wanted to build a board to pretty closely compete with them be be a bit more modern not so corporatism as I call it.

How did that go for you?

You can't just wish for a new WHT and just spawn it and make it happen.

Also, I do have to acknowledge/appreciate Ash's courage (if it's truly the WHT Ash) to post in this thread and try to explain things, even though some people will not understand him or will hate him nonetheless.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • AshAsh Member

@HBAndrei said:
    (if it's truly the WHT Ash)

Good point, nobody asked. Perhaps I'm just a random troll =]

• Ash said: Can't argue with that. It's a common complaint and I'm not entirely sure how we fix it.

Pretty easy. When you spot people doing it, tell them to stop being cunts or you'll remove their sigs and their ability to make offers.

I'm available for bannings, forum clean-ups and childrens parties, you'll find my hourly rate competitive.

Ash said: Perhaps I'm just a random troll =]

Hopefully not :D

• Ash said: Can't argue with that. It's a common complaint and I'm not entirely sure how we fix it.

It is not as easy as it seems, and it requires a lot of effort both from the caretakers and members. We cant really blame WHT for that matter, as it goes both ways, and of course stakeholder's interests members, advertiser & WHT) would be another factor.

I am just an old school guy, and at some point I feel that there is a shifting of value system everywhere, some turned to be good, and some bad.

Some examples:
    Case 1. A sysadmin needs help in a forum, then the community help him/her without trying to sell anything. The sysadmin will be grateful and trust is build between them which might end in a business transaction or good word of mouth.

Case 2. A sysadmin needs help in a forum, then the community eagerly commenting with useless thing, just to show their signature, or force to sell something. The sysadmin might get confused and the thread might be a new "UFC" ring to find out who has the bigger "dick" ;) (I got that from George Carlin btw).

Case 3. A member write a tutorial based on his/her experience, including the technicals and tips and tricks, and the member really know what he is doing. Readers would be happy, even if this writer try to sell something directly or indirectly, at least there is a transfer of knowledge going on.

Case 4. A member write a tutorial by copy pasting articles or tutorials that we can easily get by asking Uncle Google, just for the sake of SEO. Naaahh, badda bing badda boom - get lost!

To be honest the situation in this universe and other universe (can't get my head out of "The Fringe" TV Series) are mostly the same.

One thing for sure, I believe in freedom of speech, but there are some lines that we cannot cross due to our concession with others ;)

• AshAsh Member

@Nekki said:
    Pretty easy. When you spot people doing it, tell them to stop being cunts or you'll remove their sigs and their ability to make offers.

We do that, though usually without the C word =]

We quickly remove responses if we feel they were made just to show a signature. We also disable sigs on an entire thread if we think it's one that will attract such responses.

Short of disabling all sigs in the main forums, the spammers keep coming.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Ash said: Short of disabling all sigs in the main forums, the spammers keep coming.

If that's the solution to the problem, then do it, even if it's just for the problem forums.

Nekki said: If that's the solution to the problem, then do it, even if it's just for the problem forums.

WHT activity would just plummet if sigs were to be disabled in sections like 'Web Hosting'... and why would they disable sigs? all other forums allow sigs, take LET for instance, sigs everywhere and nobody bats an eye.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2015

HBAndrei said: sigs everywhere and nobody bats an eye.

Signatures are not the issue, it's people posting stupid things just to get the signature seen, it's so common on WHT now that it's affecting content. You get called out for it here if you do it, you get your post removed or an infraction for calling people out over there.

• HBAndrei said: WHT activity would just plummet if sigs were to be disabled in sections like 'Web Hosting'... and why would they disable sigs? all other forums allow sigs, take LET for instance, sigs everywhere and nobody bats an eye.

Because that's apparently the only viable solution they have? I'm only going on what was said above.

We don't really get sig spam here because if someone does it, they quickly get shat on by the community and they get fucked out of here, so sigs aren't an issue.

edited October 2015

@Lee said:

As far as I know WHT staff gives out infractions for obvious sig spammers, as you say it can be pretty easily spotted.

I have to admit that in 2008 I received a sig spam infraction on WHT, so they do warn/ban people for doing that.

Nekki said: they quickly get shat on by the community and they get fucked out of here, so sigs aren't an issue.

This is why I enjoy visiting LET every single day, it's very different than WHT in this sense, I'm not saying better or worse, each has its own pros and cons, but I enjoy both.

On LET I've seen drama threads like nowhere else, threads in which kids where torn apart by the community, etc, etc... you won't see such things on WHT though.

• HBAndrei said: As far as I know WHT staff gives out infractions for obvious sig spammers, as you say it can be pretty easily spotted.

I have to admit that in 2008 I received a sig spam infraction on WHT, so they do warn/ban people for doing that.

Clearly doesn't make much difference though, does it.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: Clearly doesn't make much difference though, does it.

Nope. The people that created the content, knowledge and real participation are all but gone. The content curators do next to no curating.

Nekki said: Clearly doesn't make much difference though, does it.

I think it does make a difference... because on LET if someone sig spams the community shits on him (as you've said), so it's all public and the result is tangible and quantifiable... but on WHT if someone sig spams their posts get removed and nobody is allowed to publicly bash him, basically if you blink you miss it and the result is unseen, intangible, unquantifiable.

The problem with the WHT way is the community, if they don't actually see the consequences themselves, tend to trip over the rules probably more often than on LET where everyone can see the rule-breakers being publicly humiliated and bashed.

I don't know, this is how I see it, could be right, could be wrong.

• HBAndrei said: I think it does make a difference... because on LET if someone sig spams the community shits on him (as you've said), so it's all public and the result is tangible and quantifiable... but on WHT if someone sig spams their posts get removed and nobody is allowed to publicly bash him, basically if you blink you miss it and the result is unseen, intangible, unquantifiable.

What I meant was 'it doesn't stop the spam', so the measure doesn't make a difference to the spam rates. You've read far more into my statement than I was intending.

Anyway, fuck WHT right? I'm sure we've all got better things to be doing than discussing a hosting forum on another hosting forum, haven't we?

Haven't we?

Thanked by 2HBAndrei NexHost
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2015

Nekki said: Haven't we?

Well, one nut, get the fuck out the thread and stop feeding it.

• Lee said: Well, one nut, get the fuck out the thread and stop feeding it.

I'm working on a Saturday night, I've got fuck all else to do until someone says we can all go to bed.

• WHTWHT Member

This thread smells on WHT shit. You can not wait the "normal" LET comments when the gradfather is in the house. He will ban everyone who speaks against WHT. To protect your members and the SPIRIT of LET, close the thread and ban the mdf.

• LeeLee Veteran

WHT said: To protect your members and the SPIRIT of LET, close the thread and ban the mdf.

We should ban you as well then.

• WHTWHT Member

@Lee said:
    We should ban you as well then.

Am a patriot :)

• sinsin Member

Nekki said: I'm sure we've all got better things to be doing than discussing a hosting forum on another hosting forum, haven't we?

I don't

• +1 LET

• MaestroMaestro Member
    edited October 2015

@HBAndrei said:
    Also, I do have to acknowledge/appreciate Ash's courage (if it's truly the WHT Ash) to post in this thread and try to explain things, even though some people will not understand him or will hate him nonetheless.

The forum was setup within the past month and for a few weeks due to personal issues I was not able to advertise the site, I also did not have twitter, or a facebook page now I do, and with alot of work my site can be a great forum.

I never said I wanted to have a forum as large as WHT or LET immediately I know it takes work however I want to build a great community, that does not have as much bias as WHT.

To help me build it and grow my community join it, Follow webhostrally on twitter, I am not trying to beat anyone I just want a fun helpful community.

• LeeLee Veteran

Maestro said: To help me build it and grow my community join it

Not going to happen.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Ash, check out that post by Harzem in the premium section, that sums up part of the issues with WHT. "Let's look externally, can't be an internal issue".