Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk vs WebHostingTalk - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk vs WebHostingTalk

Comments

• @vedran said:
    Did you post the same thread on WHT?

It got removed.

• @vedran said:
    Did you post the same thread on WHT?

No, i do not. If i post same thread on WHT, it would be deleted till now.

+1 LET.

Thanked by 2princeshoko StackVPS
  • LowEndTalk. WHT is just a trash

• @mpkossen said:
    It got removed.

Maybe cause they see how idiotic of a thread this is??? It's like going to Redmond and asking MS vs Apple....

• LET is much more friendly. WHT are a-holes who will ban you for 2 days, or 3 days for using to many caps, or the dreaded to many colors in a post (more then 2 is bad) , or the ever world destructive wrong font, fonts are bad too. Yea to many nazi rules over there.

• LowEndTalk!

because colors are great

Thanked by 2netomx StackVPS
  • I think LET is better because providers can openly reply with offers.

So if MySummerHost replies saying "we can offer that for $0.01/year" then other members on LET will usually warn the OP about them.

On WHT, they would just post something like "which location do you need?" and the OP might click the link and sign up with them.

Plus WHT is so against people posting their offers, but the hosts still get around it by asking irrelevant questions to flash their sig anyway.

• LET is much more amusing.

• LET, great offers (including some silly ones)

• AshAsh Member

OK. I've probably picked the wrong thread to start my WHT representation here. Just so we're clear, this isn't a response to say WHT is "better" than LET, I'd never suggest it is. This is just the most recent WHT related thread, so it felt the most appropriate. I'm happy to respond to others that come up, if we can play nice =]

On that note, my crash helmet is buried somewhere in the cupboard under the stairs, so please be gentle.

@flopv said:
    WHT: You never know, when you will be punished by mods.

Normally soon after you post something that's contrary to our rules. Appreciate the easy opener.

@angrysnarl said:
    Since you asked on LET, I'll bet most of the votes would be for LET.

Yep. I'm guessing if you open a thread on any forum asking if people prefer 'this forum' or 'that one' that majority will be this.

@sin said:
    WHT has been pretty slow lately

Server slow or activity slow? not sure how much impact I can have on either, but it would be nice to clarify.

@Licensecart said:
    WHT: Policed and you are punished like criminals if you do something the admin (bear) / mods don't like.

If we 'don't like', or if it's not fitting with the rules we have? There's a difference. While you might not agree with some of the rules we have in place (There's some I'd actually change myself if I could), there's a difference between staff enforcing what's there and taking actions simply because they don't 'like' what was posted.

it seems like wht is purely all ads most of the time.

Yep. Can't argue with the fact that the weight of ads vs decent content is wrong. What can we do about that? ideas are welcome =]

@jbiloh said:
    signature spamming

Related to the above I guess. The popularity of WHT attracts many people that don't give a crap about the community, or helping people. They just want to flag their sig. We kill the obvious ones and disable sigs in threads where it becomes a common issue. Any ideas what else we can do? again, they are welcome.

@Nekki said:

Hmm, what did I quote for you? it's gone. Damn those gremlins!

@Dillybob said:
    LET is moderated by people who don't let their emotion supersede administrative decisions. Which is a good thing for online communities.

Emotions never come into it. Ah ... it's you! Some people we'll never win over and I guess you're one. That's cool, life goes on.

@2298 said:
    WHT is just a trash

Trash what? .. Hard to respond to just that

@hostnoob said:
    I think LET is better because providers can openly reply with offers.

I think it was Francisco that commented in another thread. Allowing hosts to post offers in the main forums isn't going to work on WHT. As he already pointed out, it would be chaos. Also, there are comments in here about most of our new threads today being ads. If we allowed offers in the offers forum, and offers in every other thread, that would make the problem worse, no?

So there's my opener, just addressing what's posted in here. If you want to go mental on me that's fine, I'm sure I've heard worse. If you want to be constructive, even better. If there's something I can personally fix I will. You'll see from my profile that I visit (if not comment) here often. I'm sure both communities can thrive with the right plan. Not sure we really need a 'vs' thread (appreciate this was started by a member, not "LET") There's certainly no animosity on our end.

Ash

• LeeLee Veteran

@ash for transparency is a WHT community leader.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • And so, the forum wars began...

• @Nekki said:
    And so, the forum wars began...

Everything changed when the WHT nation attacked

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • AshAsh Member

@Nekki said:
    And so, the forum wars began...

No war, Just that nobody from WHT has responded here in a while and most of what I see here is very one-sided. Just giving my view. Take it, leave it, ignore it. No issues with whatever you pick =]

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WHTWHT Member

@Ash said:

@Ash said:

Get the fuck out of here.

• Ash said: No war, Just that nobody from WHT has responded here in a while and most of what I see here is very one-sided. Just giving my view. Take it, leave it, ignore it. No issues with whatever you pick =]

This is the problem, you've not taken the time to lurk so you don't know I'm taking the piss.

• AshAsh Member

@WHT said:
    Get the fuck out of here.

You didn't say please, so I'll decline.

@Nekki said:
    you don't know I'm taking the piss.

Oh but I do. You just gave me the opportunity to clarify my intentions a little better. Thanks =]

• WHTWHT Member
    edited October 2015

@Ash said:

>

Have you checked the offers section?

Edit: may I be mod for some seconds please :)

• Ash said: Oh but I do. You just gave me the opportunity to clarify my intentions a little better. Thanks =]

I'll be honest, you do sound like a bit of a helmet. Really, none of us other than @Dillybob really give two craps about WHT, so there's really no need to participate, you're not helping your cause.

Thanked by 3WHT netomx Pwner
  • AshAsh Member

well this is going marginally better than my first date.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Ash said:
    well this is going marginally better than my first date.

Seriously, just leave us be.

• ha! Don't lie. You've not had a date.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • sinsin Member

Ash said: Server slow or activity slow? not sure how much impact I can have on either, but it would be nice to clarify.

As in activity slower then normal...well except for all the Arvixe hate threads :)

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

WHT and LET have a very different moderation philosophy. On WHT the mods seem to shoot first and ask questions later where as here the moderation team is generally more forgiving and don't act as swiftly.

One thing is for sure though, WHT is a money making machine with the incredible amount of ads and sticky posts they have going right now.

• Wht is very annoying they absolutely shoot from the hip and ask questions later. I made a post on there suggesting a forum owned by a friend http://whrally.com could be used for advertising and of course to be a guide to new users for help with different questions people have. I knew as soon as I put it up when I got a reply I would get in trouble for no other reason than oh you know the person who owns that forum your banned.

I'll be honest I used it only for advertising and once in a while I would try to help people If I could. The companies that advertise there are smart because they get their money's worth they might as well remove all other sections of the forum and only offer advertising services.

And the mods/administration absolutely use their emotion before anything else.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2015

@Nekki said:
    Whore House Talk

This insult sent me into an uncontrollable outburst of laughter.

WHT = SummerHost V10,000,000 :)

• @Ash, any comments on paid memberships (a.k.a corporate)?

• AshAsh Member

@sin said:
    As in activity slower then normal...

Yep. Can't deny that.

@sjr2004 said:
    oh you know the person who owns that forum your banned.

I'll not give details on personal accounts. Would help if the story didn't keep changing though.

@FlamesRunner said:
    Ash, any comments on paid memberships (a.k.a corporate)?

We have them? not sure what you want me to comment on exactly, but happy to.

@jbiloh said:
    On WHT the mods seem to shoot first and ask questions later

Not saying we're perfect, but if we get it wrong then we usually fix it. You know that.

• LEB was initiated by LEA (Scott Yang) during the period when VPS price started to decrease, and he'd like to share good & cheap services to VPS enthusiasts, who wants to test how far we can push, say, a 64mb VPS to the limit. Just like what @Nekki said in other thread, it is possible to install a WordPress in a 64mb box. LEB now has grown into a mature low end VPS market.

LET was the idea of many LEB readers who wants to have a forum to share knowledge, technique and good deals among VPS enthusiast. Originally LET doesn't have the Offer section.

Nowadays LEB & LET has also turned to be a money making machine, or at least a promotional media for Collocrossing ( @jbiloh a good thing from a business point of view), whereas many service providers, from startup business to corporate, might take advantage for marketing their products, while VPS enthusiast may still share some knowledge.

WHT is more mature and grows bigger and bigger (business wise). Unfortunately, IMHO it has lost some of the spirit to help each other, and many comments tends to be a parade of signature.

There was a time when WHT was the best place to buy services, share knowledge, asking for help, tapping industrial news, and the best hosting job market.

To sum up, both LEB & LET and WHT are good resourceful places to look for a good time, but each of them has their own ruling and moderation style that every member must abide.

Cheers :)

• LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: WHT and LET have a very different moderation philosophy. On WHT the mods seem to shoot first and ask questions later where as here the moderation team is generally more forgiving and don't act as swiftly.

UMAD? It's the opposite.

WHT tend to act when they have good enough reason to do so. I say that of the likes of Bear, SWR, Mouse etc. They are a group that has been around long enough to see things or indeed have information that most don't. In fact it can be infuriatingly difficult to get them to act without the right info. Their unwillingness to disclose what they know or discuss issues openly is the right thing to do on a forum such as that. Yet people like to think they act on nothing.

Over here decisions are either to hasty or to slow to be effective.

Many of the people who criticize WHT on here are those who have fallen foul of the moderators because they did not follow the rules, tried to pull a fast one with multiple accounts and so on.

It's always simple, follow the rules and play nice on WHT and you won't get banned or suspended. Even I had infractions over there although I had some overturned by Bear who agreed the moderator was wrong.

However that leads me to the next point, most of the Community Liaisons are inactive and or lazy, just as the content curators. They take on "staff" who do little for the actual forum. Forget the back end, I am talking out in the open on the threads.

WHT needs to rotate their inactive staff more often, those who are not contributing what they should out in front.

I even see on here people shouting about how restrictive it is on WHT and that is why they are here, but then complain about what people are allowed to say in threads here. Make you fekkin mind up.

I do miss WHT, having joined in 2003 I got a lot out of it but it simply scores my eyes these days with the shilling (inc staff), constant ads by way of "what's your budget (chck my signature)" posts and the fuckton of minute hosts.

The content has gone to shit compared to when I was active and hence I don't visit much any more unless I really have to. It's a shame really but there you go.