Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too.

124»

Comments

• caperailfancaperailfan Member
    edited December 2012

@pubcrawler I have successfully followed the ISPmail Tutorial on a VPS. The guide is located at workaround.org/ispmail/squeeze. Then after you have the mail server operating,
    1. Install Apache apt-get install apache2
    2. Install PHP5 with MySQL support apt-get install php5 php5-mysql
    3. Then you can setup Roundcube. Of course I always configure Apache for SSL Support too. I am considering setting up my VPS as a mail server, and over the next few days I might. If I do, I'll try and write a howto for setting up Roundcube after you have completed the ISPmail Tutorial. Or you can just follow the guide on the Roundcube site which is very easy. It's located at trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Install. There are also some tools at there that serve as a web interface to this setup.

Or if you want something easier:
    Take a look at iRedMail. I've never used it before but it is really simple to setup or as so I've heard. It uses RoundCube for webmail right out of the box and it also has a web control panel. I haven't tried it yet because of the lacks of features unless you upgrade to there commercial product.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

cPanel license goes a long way.

• @jarland said: cPanel license goes a long way.

Easy yes... secure... not so much for most people who don't know how to set it up properly.

• @jarland said: cPanel license goes a long way.

I've just grabbed a 10 domain Plesk licence. I've been meaning to setup my own mail server(s), so I guess this was the kick I needed.

• Checkout http://www.2ya.com/services.php

Quite a good attempt.

• @ElliotJ said: I've just grabbed a 10 domain Plesk licence. I've been meaning to setup my own mail server(s), so I guess this was the kick I needed.

... I hate Plesk with a passion... but it's bout the only decent control panel if you want to use it on a Windows host. Otherwise me personally I'd go with Cpanel/Whm or Directadmin, but not Plesk for linux (I could probably do with ISPConfig... but it's not as nice).

In the end I prefer to do without the whole control panel.

• @kbeezie said: I hate Plesk with a passion

I don't have a great deal of experience with with either panel, but since Plesk is significantly cheaper for my usage (about $2/month) I couldn't justify spending $13 extra on cPanel :(

• Use ZPanel CP

• @darknessends said: Use ZPanel CP

Kind of odd that their site would say FreeBSD is supported, yet they have no installer, or instructions, and any kind of installer are user contributed and incomplete etc. At best seems you can install it on CentOS6 or Ubuntu via an autoinstaller here, http://www.zvps.co.uk/zpanel .. though the folks need to remove BSD from their list of supported OSes if they're not going to support it. It seems to be a PHP driven control panel.

• oh boy let's not get started on zpanel again :)

• @twain said: oh boy let's not get started on zpanel again :)

I haven't even heard of it til now. I presume you had some history with it.

• @kbeezie - nope not me, there have just been a couple of threads on LET about it.. security and such (or lack thereof)

• @kbeezie said: Kind of odd that their site would say FreeBSD is supported, yet they have no installer, or instructions, and any kind of installer are user contributed and incomplete etc. At best seems you can install it on CentOS6 or Ubuntu via an autoinstaller here, http://www.zvps.co.uk/zpanel .. though the folks need to remove BSD from their list of supported OSes if they're not going to support it. It seems to be a PHP driven control panel.

It's built for windows, but works on linux just as well, they no longer have autoinstallers officially.

• @curtisg said: It's built for windows, but works on linux just as well, they no longer have autoinstallers officially.

So more of a free Plesk alternative than anything.

• @kbeezie said: So more of a free Plesk alternative than anything.

Meh, depends how you look at it.

• Use it, than say ! You do not use the products and chit chat, its improved and works nicely now.

• @darknessends said: Use it, than say ! You do not use the products and chit chat, its improved and works nicely now.

What? Might want to rephrase that, almost like you're saying try it cuz it's new and improved... but still no freebsd support otherwise I'd try it, though I could probably create a CentOS6 VPS to try it on, just would prefer to test inside of a jail. It's just the lack of support, broken-links, how-to etc seems disconcerting by the creators themselves.

• @kbeezie said: What? Might want to rephrase that, almost like you're saying try it cuz it's new and improved... but still no freebsd support otherwise I'd try it, though I could probably create a CentOS6 VPS to try it on, just would prefer to test inside of a jail. It's just the lack of support, broken-links, how-to etc seems disconcerting by the creators themselves.

If you want to try zPanel, I can set up a demo on one of my vpses.

• kbeezie, Just try it. I am having websites running on it, Yes its working good. And if you and guys like us use it and post the broken things and problems it will very well become a good alternative.

• @darknessends said: kbeezie, Just try it. I am having websites running on it, Yes its working good. And if you and guys like us use it and post the broken things and problems it will very well become a good alternative.

True... but I'd have to be able to actually install it, and there's absolutely no instructions on how to install it even manually on FreeBSD (only their old version 6.1.1 seems to have an old installer for an old version of FreeBSD).

@curtisg said: If you want to try zPanel, I can set up a demo on one of my vpses.

I would not mind that one bit if you got time to set up a quick demo such as on CentOS (or do you think it runs better on the likes of Ubuntu?)

• It runs best on CentOS

• @kbeezie said: I would not mind that one bit if you got time to set up a quick demo such as on CentOS (or do you think it runs better on the likes of Ubuntu?)

centos better. I'll get a demo up on my LA vps.