Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too.

Comments

• @jarland said: New roundcube is nice. I've had less downtime of my own servers than I've experienced on gmail. I know we like to forget, but gmail will have random issues for random sets of people at least once every couple months. Server side unavailable messages, timeouts for up to 5 minutes, etc. It's not a big deal but it happens. They're on the same internet we are. For the size of their customer base, it's not a judgement, just...I can do better for myself.

Offloading email load somewhere else and the headache of the problems being in someone elses hands is better IMO.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Corey said: Offloading email load somewhere else and the headache of the problems being in someone elses hands is better IMO.

Where's your sense of adventure? ;)

• @jarland said: Where's your sense of adventure? ;)

I've been dealing with it myself since we started. I just signed up for google apps on a personal domain and I love it... was just about to get an account for other domains as well... and then BAMN... you can't get an account anymore.

So if anyone has a google apps account they aren't using I would love to have it.

• @Corey you can just add your other domains to your existing Google Apps account

• @gsrdgrdghd said: @Corey you can just add your other domains to your existing Google Apps account

You just can't really use them as the outgoing I don't think (ie: they become forwarders to your primary basically).

• Time to setup roundcube on my catalystvps!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@FluX said: Time to setup roundcube on my catalystvps!

Let me know if you need a little memory boost ;)

• How about free emails for all ?? on their domains?? Can we make some LEBMAIL

• @gsrdgrdghd said: @Corey you can just add your other domains to your existing Google Apps account

Won't I need more than 10 accounts for sales@ support@ admin@ wayne@ corey@ payments@ for two different brands?

• @darknessends said: How about free emails for all ?? on their domains?? Can we make some LEBMAIL

Sounds great, is the 'going under in 3 months' a feature or a bug?

• @Corey said: Won't I need more than 10 accounts for sales@ support@ admin@ wayne@ corey@ payments@ for two different brands?

Only if you need a seperate mailbox for all of those, otherwise you can create most of them as aliases to the same mailbox.

• why do people expect so much things for free?

• @DraterTel said: why do people expect so much things for free?

The best things in life are free...

• @DraterTel said: why do people expect so much things for free?

I think some of us don't expect to pay $300/mo for low volume email.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@unused - why does zoho suck?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: I think some of us don't expect to pay $300/mo for low volume email.

Seriously? I thought it was something like 50/month or 25 or something like that, not 30 a month? Did they just chunk it up into a corporate offering?

I know educational was like 50/year.

• @kbeezie said: Seriously? I thought it was something like 50/month or 25 or something like that, not 30 a month? Did they just chunk it up into a corporate offering?

$50/mo per user times 6 users that we would need for one brand, right?

• @Corey said: I think some of us don't expect to pay $300/mo for low volume email.

@Corey - why are you and most provider so lazy like the solusvm sll guy to setup your own email srver?

• @Corey said: $50/mo per user times 6 users that we would need for one brand, right?

cringes

• unusedunused Member
    edited December 2012

@raindog308 - the engineering, management, everything. they rebranded to zoho from adventnet but the stink remains.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@DraterTel said: @Corey - why are you and most provider so lazy like the solusvm sll guy to setup your own email srver?

You don't even know what you are talking about. Since we've been in business (almost 4 years now) we setup our own email server. I'd rather someone else have the headache of problems, and offloading email to someone elses server frees up some resources. I just recently got google apps for my personal domain and I loved it. I was about to sign up for a free account for the business as well but that is down the drain now.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said:
    $50/mo per user times 6 users that we would need for one brand, right?

Not unless you're the government:

6 users x $5/mo = $30/mo or using yearly, 6 users x $50/yr = $300/yr.

• @nunim said: Not unless you're the government, 6 users x $5/mo = $30/mo not 300.

I thought they were charging $50/mo for businesses.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited December 2012

@kbeezie said: You just can't really use them as the outgoing I don't think (ie: they become forwarders to your primary basically).

Actually you can:

• @Corey said: @nunim said: Not unless you're the government, 6 users x $5/mo = $30/mo not 300.

I thought they were charging $50/mo for businesses.

They are, there's special pricing for government and educational, unless you run a small country I don't know about... you're still paying for business.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Actually you can:

Nope, you can have aliases, but those are for incoming, ie: if I send you an email at Facebook@* , you couldn't use that as your outgoing email (but you could set it as your Reply-To if you wanted).

ie: when you send email out, it shows as your primary alias/account/domain.

• @kbeezie said: They are, there's special pricing for government and educational, unless you run a small country I don't know about... you're still paying for business.

I think for $300/mo I could buy a managed server somewhere and they do a lot more than a few email accounts for me......

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: I think for $300/mo I could buy a managed server somewhere and they do a lot more than a few email accounts for me......

Yea I was thinking the exact same thing, in a nutshell, if the business aspect is no real big difference than what we've been using as the free google apps, then what do they really have to offer against an actual mailing provider aside from how big and 'globally distributed' they are?

Last I heard, their technical support department makes some people want to slit their wrist. (especially in terms of how exactly to get ahold of them... why bother for 300/month?)

I been fortunate not to have problems, but when I Did with any other google product, it's always been a huge pain in the ass (ie: adsense, adword, wallet, checkout, etc).

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: I thought they were charging $50/mo for businesses.

Nope. Did you guys actually look at the site?

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

$5/user/month
    or $50/user/year 

They're also charging $50/yr/user for Governments which is a rip off considering how large the Government market would be.

@kbeezie said: They are, there's special pricing for government and educational, unless you run a small country I don't know about... you're still paying for business.

U.S. nonprofit organizations with over 3,000 users are now eligible for Google 
    Apps for Business at a 40% discount ($30/user/year). If your organization has under 
    3,000 users, you can apply for the free Google Apps for Education through the 
    Google for Nonprofits site
  • @Corey said: You don't even know what you are talking about. Since we've been in business (almost 4 years now) we setup our own email server. I'd rather someone else have the headache of problems, and offloading email to someone elses server frees up some resources. I just recently got google apps for my personal domain and I loved it. I was about to sign up for a free account for the business as well but that is down the drain now.

nah, you just lazy bum