Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Apps Alternative ! GMail too.

Comments

• @kbeezie said: ie: when you send email out, it shows as your primary alias/account/domain.

Nope

• Paid google apps user here. Works fine for me, and since I cannot get two-factor auth working with dovecot/postfix I'm still using gapps. Have tried multiple alternatives though, but gapps just works the best for me...

• @nunim said: They're charging $50/mo/user for Governments which is a rip off.

Most government related services (state and federal) are going to use their own servers. I remember years ago when I did some contract work for NC ESC LMI (North Carolina, Employment Security Commission, Labor Marketing Information), they actually kept their website on a pair of Pentium 200s down in the basement which was a small datacenter of it's own with about 10 racks (though the one their public website ran on, only had the one 4U unit plus a swing out monitor and keyboard, which I had to go down with a keycard any time I had to make an actual change to IIS's settings).

So course if they were running a datacenter out of their own basement 10 years ago, I imagine most are today, so probably targeting more city/metropolitian related (those most of those tend to piggy back off state resources), and non-profit organizations. Though even the west michigan altzheimers(sp?) association was running their website out of a desktop computer in their closet and a Partial T1 uplink as of a 2-3 years ago.

For some reason there's a certain 'distrust' of having your site/server/mail/etc in a location you can't physically access on a daily basis when it comes to some of the larger government/non-profit organizations. Even though it would actually save them money for leasing, but there's probably legal/accountability involved too.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Well that's new...

I do not see that under my Accounts tab, when I log into my user's gmail interface.

I have like 20 aliases for that account, and the add an email only appears to be for external non-gmail addresses.

Does it ONLY apply to the gmail interface? or can do you do it with SMTP?

EDIT: http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=22370

It appears only to be within the Gmail Client, so again "Nope". Far as using it normally from an email client.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited December 2012

@kbeezie said: I do not see that under my Accounts tab, when I log into my user's gmail interface.

The Accounts/Send Mail As tab?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: The Accounts/Send Mail As tab?

Look above I screen-shoted it, it's not all that useful of a feature because I don't use the gmail web interface 99% of the time, rather an actual email client such as on my computer or my phone. That "send as" only applies to the gmail interface.

They have sort of a 'hackish' way to do it, but would show both in the from. As in you'd have to set up a separate SMTP account for each different way, and it would still show your primary along side the other one.

EDIT: and when I looked at the mail header of the email sent from the gmail interface, even though the from: was from the alias' nickname and alias' domain, it still showed the primary account as the Sender:.

• @DraterTel said: nah, you just lazy bum

Really?......... Your intelligence quotient must be that of a small rodent.

@nunim said: Nope. Did you guys actually look at the site?

http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

$5/user/month

or $50/user/year
    They're also charging $50/yr/user for Governments which is a rip off considering how large the Government market would be.

Yes I did see that and I was thinking it said $50/mo :).... sorry...... still..... $30/mo per brand....... getting close to managed vps prices for as few users as it is and for as little email that will be sent. The most I would pay for this service for even 50 users would be $5/mo.

• @Corey said: Really?......... Your intelligence quotient must be that of a small rodent.

@Corey - insulting costomers always paves the way to success

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@DraterTel said: nah, you just lazy bum

@DraterTel said: @Corey - insulting costomers always paves the way to success

Insulting a future provider after having evidence in front of your face that clearly invalidates your insult is a great way for that provider to never do business with you. It's a two way street mr @DraterTel

Let's make it even more clear - I don't want your business.

• @kbeezie said: and when I looked at the mail header of the email sent from the gmail interface, even though the from: was from the alias' nickname and alias' domain, it still showed the primary account as the Sender:.

Yeah it shows the primary account as sender (but the alias as From). I don't mind that since it doesn't really do anything bad for me.

If you want multiple Sender mails you need to add an account in the Apps interface with a different primary address

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Interesting idea: if a company charges a different price for government services, not limited to the US... what if you set up your own micronation?

• DraterTelDraterTel Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: Insulting a future provider after having evidence in front of your face that clearly invalidates your insult is a great way for that provider to never do business with you. It's a two way street mr @DraterTel

Let's make it even more clear - I don't want your business.

there is a great deal of providers here I do no need your services idiota. you need my money more than I need you otherwise how you pay for your servers idiota? you do not want my business big deal I do not want to give you money for low quality service. everyone knows that you sells oversold servers.

• @DraterTel said: there is a great deal of providers here I do no need your services idiota. you need my money more than I need you otherwise how you pay for your servers idiota? you do not want my business big deal I do not want to give you money for low quality service. everyone knows that http://yourdomaingoeshere.com/ sells oversold servers.

I don't need your $5 :)

• DraterTelDraterTel Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey said: I don't need your $5 :)

wow corey is the worst hosting provider I have come across

@DraterTel Enjoying your "forum SEO"?

• I think he is saying you are giving me free links in every one of your smear posts.

Well, most people wouldn't go through the trouble of posting a full hyperlink to a providers site every time, instead of just mentioning the name or even the abbreviation. Unless... said people were trying to get Google to associate the thread with the provider.

• i removed links but Corey was very insulting to me and he canot talk like this to customer active or not so my opinion is still that he is a bad provider

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: Well, most people wouldn't go through the trouble of posting a full hyperlink to a providers site every time, instead of just mentioning the name or even the abbreviation. Unless... said people were trying to get Google to associate the thread with the provider.

No telling what his agenda is here because I can't find anything about him. Just comes out calling us lazy bums in a legitimate thread about google apps.....

@DraterTel said: i removed links but Corey was very insulting to me and he canot talk like this to customer active or not so my opinion is still that he is a bad provider

Your comments were very insulting to me and you cannot talk to a provider like this with an active subscription or not so my opinion is still that I do not want you as a customer.

• Obvious troll is obvious

• @Corey you must not have great many customers if you have time to troll on forums and insult other people customers or not

@Microlinux you are right he is a troll

• meh that sucks.

• @skirtTight said: is there some kind of script that would install a mail setup for me on debian?

Heard good things about iredmail, but haven't used it. Personally, for email, I use what Virtualmin provides, which is sufficient.

• Oh I got an idea, if I can get a single user one maybe I'll switch my 10 user one over to business and get a new single user one for personal.

• Where are people getting $50/user/mo from?

http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

Shows up as £3.30/user/mo

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

@Jack said: @StormVZ $50/year /user i think...

Yeah I was reading the first page with people coming out with $300/mo etc. seems to be rectified in the top of page 2. Not too bad for a very reliable service.

• @kbeezie said: Look above I screen-shoted it, it's not all that useful of a feature because I don't use the gmail web interface 99% of the time, rather an actual email client such as on my computer or my phone. That "send as" only applies to the gmail interface.

It works outside the web interface as well. I'm able to "send as" from one of many different addresses via Thunderbird. Just gotta add them via the Manage Identities feature for that account first. Still get the "on behalf of" crap though, so using POP/IMAP client doesn't help with that.

• Zimbra is a pretty solid package if you want to do it yourself. Resource hog, though.

• I would be thrilled if someone would do a howto or offer as a service a VPS for email specifically.

Roundcube for the web GUI, plus SMTP, POP3 and IMAP. Some sort of user, spam, etc. web controller.

I can hear folks yelling Cpanel :)