Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google kills off free GApps - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google kills off free GApps

13»

Comments

• i dont understand what the big deal is that there is no more free google email for free?

• I don't think there is a way of finding out what number of users you're allowed. I used to say somewhere, but I can't find it anymore either. I know that during creation I could choose how many I wanted and filled 999 in just cause I could. I used to say that I could still create 998 accounts :P Just tried adding 20 or so accounts, and that works fine which leads me to believe the 999 limit is still in place even though I only used one up till this morning.

I wonder how long it will be before Google starts to restrict the use of free GApps for example by not allowing creation of new accounts even if you throw one away.

• You have reached the 10 user limit for this organization. To add more users, please purchase Google Apps for Business.

Guess it's time to find an alternative.

• Sucks to be honest, good thing we're got ours setup.

• @kbeezie said: :P they certainly downplay the freebie don't they hehe. "If you manage a domain for the neighborhood Little League or the photography club, you can personalize Windows Live for your group."

indeed... so far kind of liking domains live http://domains.live.com/ offering, with chrome i use it with my message center for auto notification of new emails like i use gmail checker for all google app email accounts

only dislikes with domains.live.com email so far are

1. conversation thread view, no way to change ordering of the thread, it goes newest email at top and original email thread starter at bottom. The opposite of what i am use to for gmail/google apps

2. no alias feature for the same single user account that i can find, with google apps i have up to 20 aliases IIRC for each user account

3. miss google drive/doc integration, when you click on text, documents in google drive they can open up in google docs. On domains.live.com service skydrive text documents clicked on prompt for download

• Are Windows Live Custom Domains like Outlook.com in that they don't support IMAP?

• Maybe if they put more advertisements and put a donation bar or something, they won't need to kill off free Google Apps.

• @MrDOS said: Are Windows Live Custom Domains like Outlook.com in that they don't support IMAP?

They are the same, you can login at outlook.com too, and no, they don't support IMAP :D Just POP3 and MS Exchange.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2012

@GIANT_CRAB said: Maybe if they put more advertisements and put a donation bar or something, they won't need to kill off free Google Apps.

I seriously doubt that Google is so strapped for cash that they need to ask for donations....

The free service was a technology testbed and a loss-leader to build name recognition and demand. Those tasks have been accomplished.

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Maybe if they put more advertisements and put a donation bar or something, they won't need to kill off free Google Apps.

Have you completely forgotten about the fact that Google is a publicly traded company and its sole purpose is to generate revenue for its shareholders?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

With focus we’ll be able to do even more for our business customers.

This one sentence really explains the entire situation, the intentions of Google, and the future of the grandfathered Google Apps accounts.

• @joepie91 said: This one sentence really explains the entire situation, the intentions of Google, and the future of the grandfathered Google Apps accounts.

Yes. I'm surprised that people don't seem to get it:

1. Introduce a cool new service, offer it for FREE with HUGE resources, like 100's of email accounts. (Make a note that a paid service is also available);
    2. Use the free account holders to test & troubleshoot. Develop new features, deploy, test. If something breaks well, hey, it's free right?
    3. Build brand recognition. Google Apps baby. It's cool. It's free.
    4. Stabilize the platform. It's nearly ready for production.
    5. Refocus the website. Start directing traffic to Google Apps for Business. Make the free version harder to find.
    6. Begin phasing out the free version by gradually reducing resources. 50 email accounts... 10 accounts....
    7. Discontinue free account signups. Write a nice email to free account holders to provide assurance and limit the reaction.

Now we just wait for the final step in the plan...

• Push free account holders to the paid version.
  • Yes its work like that

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Well said @sleddog. +1

• @sleddog said: Now we just wait for the final step in the plan...

Push free account holders to the paid version.

Kinda reminds me of hosting providers who have a fire sale to get their membership numbers up before selling off the customers.

• @Infinity said: Well said @sleddog. +1

Thank you.

Another thing... I think webmail is dying. I provide email service to about 180 users, and the use of webmail has decreased significantly in the past year. Mose people now are using a mail client like Outlook/Thunderbird at the desk and a mobile client when away -- iPhone, Blackberry, etc.

For Google Apps, that pattern has to affect ad revenues. When logging into the web interface is the third & least-used means of accessing mail, it's gotta mean that ad revenues are down. Webmail is the only place that Google can advertise.

• @eva2000 said: no alias feature for the same single user account that i can find,

They've gone and hidden it but you can use wlalias to add aliases on Windows.

• I wonder if there's now room for someone to step into the 'free' custom domain email space... Particularly for hosting providers, having something like CloudFlare, where email can be 'offloaded'.

Email may seem like a simple concept, but it's actually a pretty complex thing to manage (well) these days.

• @adly said: Email may seem like a simple concept, but it's actually a pretty complex thing to manage (well) these days.

Email is damned complicated, much more so than website hosting. Which makes it a challenge, that's what I like :)

• Yandex is working great for me.

• last time i check i only had 50 users allowance and then went down to 10 then it went down to 5 and now it went down to shit.

• @gqserv said: last time i check i only had 50 users allowance and then went down to 10 then it went down to 5 and now it went down to shit.

wow I'm so sorry. You might want to check out yandex!

• I thought yandex is in, Russian?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited December 2012

@Chan said: I thought yandex is in, Russian?

We have many people who are multilingual here, and Google Translate helps too (but you have to copy and paste the content as it is in secured HTTP page), I actually just set up one for fun :)

This is the site if anyone is interested:
    https://pdd.yandex.ru/domains_add/

• @Corey said: wow I'm so sorry. You might want to check out yandex!

It it Russian. Can you post translation?

• @George_Fusioned said: I had 18 users since day 1 (I think I've set it up in 2007-2008).

People mentioned in previous replies "I've got a 500 user limit account", "I've got a 200 user limit account" etc. so I wanted to know where they see this info.

@kbeezie said: Go back quite a few posts, I mentioned how.

For those who want to see their old Google Apps account's user limit (and some further information about that account), there is an application called GAM (Google Apps Manager) that can be downloaded here : http://code.google.com/p/google-apps-manager/downloads/list

read all the instructions and follow the steps, and you will get something like this:
    Photobucket