Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google kills off free GApps - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google kills off free GApps

Comments

• @vedran said: Time to start using your own then. I'm starting to dislike gmail anyway.

I rarely ever used the gmail interface... point of google apps was to be able to do IMAP/POP3/SMTP within your own client to your own @domain.com easily, and have control over multiple different account aliases at that domain.

Not sure why so many people are heavily reliant on the web interface. (Stemming off complaints like switching hosts and 'how can I transfer my squirrelmail emails to the new host, I don't wana download em').

• @seikan said: Maybe it's a good chance for Microsoft to grow...

Are those Hotmail boxes as reliable as GMail?

• Still looking for a 10 user account :(

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited December 2012

well i signed up one of my domains for microsoft's version at http://domains.live.com they allow up to 500 users free

looks good so far with @myowndomain powered by hotmail, get skydrive and all :)

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@Chio said: Are those Hotmail boxes as reliable as GMail?

They don't seem to call em hotmail as much anymore but as mail for your Live! account, and they've had something similar to google apps (ie: your own domain) with Live! for a little while now.

Far as reliability, I've always considered hotmail to be one of the major sources of spam.

I'll most likely keep my kbeezie/ionvz domain with google apps, since that's not going to change for existing customers at all, my only other domain is my personal one which I might risk changing the MX records over to my live account to see how goes.

@eva2000 said: well i signed up one of my domains for microsoft's version at http://domains.live.com

:P they certainly downplay the freebie don't they hehe. "If you manage a domain for the neighborhood Little League or the photography club, you can personalize Windows Live for your group."

• Hmm, anyone know how I can check the total number of accounts I have for GApps? I don't recall my limit anymore.

• @tinyray said: never mind since they no longer exist

but they do

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@tortau said: Hmm, anyone know how I can check the total number of accounts I have for GApps? I don't recall my limit anymore.

Setup Tab -> Users and Groups -> Choose more than one user

Should say something like "To add more than 10 users you'll need a Google Apps for Business or Education account, which provides many business-grade features not covered in this wizard. Find out more and upgrade now (free trial)."

Near the bottom, I believe if you didn't already have more than 10 accounts before, it's reset to a max of 10.

But that's of course 10 separate accounts, You could have like 50+ user aliases to one account depending on what you need it for. And could have multiple domain aliases like I do for one of my domains (ie: using other domains after the @ but still same account).

I guess that means if you still have a free account, and you picked up a new domain, you could just add it as an alias of that account.

• @gubbyte said: @tinyray said: never mind since they no longer exist

but they do

I think he means, the free version no longer exists.

PS: Don't try the 'trial' for the business version, if you do, you won't be able to revert back down to the free version after the trial.

• Looks like you can still get a Free Google Apps Account, difference is, it's single-user only:

Hello Everyone,

The Apps Standard account you have today will continue to work for free. If you create a new Apps account going through the App Engine Admin Console you'll still be able to create a Standard Apps account for free but you'll only be able to get 1 user per account rather than the 10 you get today.

Let me know if you have additional questions,

Greg D'Alesandre

Senior Product Manager, Google App Engine

Which might be fine for some, but some like myself, like to create a separate account for say wordpress or whmcs etc to send out emails on. (that way the account password isn't the same as my primary account).

• @seikan said: Maybe it's a good chance for Microsoft to grow...

Very funny :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

The old GMail (when it initally launched) was fantastic, but at some point they changed the UI (like they do now with all their services) and now it just looks like a broken website where CSS failed to load, to me. But I migrated away to my own E-Mail server long before that, so wasn't affected all that much really.

The sense of bliss when you know that a Google (or any other company) employee can no longer peek at any of your mail for the past X years, can't be beaten.

• I think with Google Apps, most people who set it up have some degree of technical know how (setting up MX records etc, which in itself is pretty easy).

As a result, they probably didn't get as much ad exposure within the Gmail interface itself, when most people just used POP3/IMAP to download their emails ad-free (plus there's banner blindness... you never even notice the ads after a while).

• @kbeezie said: As a result, they probably didn't get as much ad exposure within the Gmail interface itself, when most people just used POP3/IMAP to download their emails ad-free (plus there's banner blindness... you never even notice the ads after a while).

I never really knew Gmail had ads. I always keep Adblock on.

• @gubbyte said: I never really knew Gmail had ads. I always keep Adblock on.

Well the ads were always pretty discrete/text-based, usually showed at top once you clicked into something.

• Been using Google App's for business for a while now. I got to say that it is worth it and it works well.

Kinda sucks for new users I guess if they can't pay they are missing out.

• Google Apps is out of beta now, so free testers are no longer needed :) I'll bet that a move to a paid-only service was planned from the beginning.

I'll also bet that Microsoft eventually does the same thing.

Lesson: don't build reliance on free services.

• So how can I find how many users my old free Google Apps account can handle?

• @George_Fusioned said: So how can I find how many users my old free Google Apps account can handle?

If you've always had it, it's gona be 10, unless you already had more than 10 users set.

only NEW free gapp accounts are going to be single user only.

• I had 18 users since day 1 (I think I've set it up in 2007-2008).

People mentioned in previous replies "I've got a 500 user limit account", "I've got a 200 user limit account" etc. so I wanted to know where they see this info.

• @George_Fusioned said: I had 18 users since day 1 (I think I've set it up in 2007-2008).

People mentioned in previous replies "I've got a 500 user limit account", "I've got a 200 user limit account" etc. so I wanted to know where they see this info.

Go back quite a few posts, I mentioned how.

• @kbeezie said: Not sure why so many people are heavily reliant on the web interface.

I'm always on the go, not necessarily on my own computer. I don't want to be setting up a mail client on every computer I get on... not to mention when I'm at work.
    Everyone has their own reasons, the web interface is super easy and fast and works on pretty much all devices.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

@NickO said: I'm always on the go, not necessarily on my own computer. I don't want to be setting up a mail client on every computer I get on... not to mention when I'm at work.

... you know email works with smartphones now days ...

But even for people not-on-the-go, I've noticed are heavily reliant on some sort of web-mail interface even if the only place they check is their own computer all the time.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited December 2012

Well got this email from Google.

Hello from Google,

Here's some important news about Google Apps—but don't worry, there's no need for you to take any action. We just want you to know that we're making a change to the packages we offer.

Starting today, we're no longer accepting new sign-ups for the free version of Google Apps (the version you're currently using). Because you're already a customer, this change has no impact on your service, and you can continue to use Google Apps for free.

Should you ever want to upgrade to Google Apps for Business, you'll enjoy benefits such as 24/7 customer support, a 25 GB inbox, business controls, our 99.9% uptime guarantee, unlimited users and more for just $5 per user, per month.

You can learn more about this change in our Help Center or on the Enterprise Blog.

Thank you for using Google Apps.

Clay Bavor

Director, Google Apps

• Just got the same mail. I still think $5/mo/user is a bit too costly :|

• I think very soon live.com will stop the free domains mail. Better to register few accounts to park free domains there. I may use them later.

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited December 2012

that still shows 10 user for me,..though I already have 20+ acc,and still able to create more from 100...

@kbeezie said: @George_Fusioned said: I had 18 users since day 1 (I think I've set it up in 2007-2008).

Go back quite a few posts, I mentioned how.

• @Shamli said: that still shows 10 user for me,..though I already have 20+ acc,and still able to create more from 100...

Same here. It shows a 10 user limit there, but I already have 18.
    Anyway, since I made my account in 2008, I think it has a limit of 100 accounts.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

Yeah this is kinda bad, they could have reduced the number of users to like 5 and kept the free plan available :/

aanyways, I can still use my old account so no issues :)

• zoho.com
    live.com
    yandex.ru

they are good alternatives .