Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which nameservers do you use? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which nameservers do you use?

13»

Comments

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited December 2012

In my opinion, Rage4 still the best among all if you understand DNS well. The update takes immediately. Verifying google app domain ownership using rage4 txt record take less than 30 second.

Rage4, no doubt will soon be mentioned in DNS hosting. Too bad I miss their 500k promotion last time.

@gbshouse bravo

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

https://www.powerdns.net/en/ and https://pointhq.com/

Both are amazing and really good :)

• why not DNSbed.com :)

• DeanDean Member
    edited December 2012

dns.he.net for holding my my nameserver ip information.
    then cpanel dns-only for client sites.

Just out of curiosity, how many dns servers is too many? I've got 9 so far (all LEBs) Info & Locations. Also, what's the name for the type of setup I have?

ns1.mydomain has 5 ips
    ns2.mydomain has 4 ips

• PointHQ looks good, still fan of DNSMadeEasy and probably will always lead the market :)

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited December 2012

@DeanClinton said: Just out of curiosity, how many dns servers is too many? I've got 9 so far (all LEBs)

According to RFC2182 section 5 you must have at least 3 nameservers, and no more than 7

That's interesting, you actually do the redundancy setup using multiple A records on your two dns server instead of having multiple NS records (i.e ns1, ns2, ns3. . .ns9)

I wouldn't know whether RFC2182 will apply to your case, lol.

• I only set them up on ns1. and ns2. as some domain control panels you have to click a button to add extra rows; I didn't want to have to explain each different domain control panel so stuck with the two.

intoDNS doesn't complain when I do a check (example).

• @DeanClinton said: intoDNS doesn't complain when I do a check

LeafDNS doesn't like it... http://leafdns.com/index.cgi?testid=127F82E3

Not saying they're right :)

• DeanDean Member
    edited December 2012

Ah that's because each NS has more than one IP assigned to it, and the nameserver will return any of the IPs. LeafDNS doesn't take into consideration that it may return more than one IP for it so only pulls one (which in this case is different). CheckDNS and MXToolbox do the same, however they look to see if any match and return an OK result if it finds the IP in the list.

All the IPs it pulls in though have the same records so as long as it gets the records somehow, I'm happy. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though!

I know this is how ResellerClub also do it (for people that use their DNS) - they have four nameservers and each nameserver returns four different IPs.

edit: hmmm, yet this returns ok.

• @twain Other DNS providers don't seem to have an issue using their own DNS system for their own domains. Pretty sure Dyn, easyDNS, pointdns, Zoneedit, etc are considered reliable without using a third party DNS system.

I could be wrong in this case, and I plan on trying Rage4 out for myself, but if you can't trust your own service with your own domains why should anybody else?

• @gbshouse Why don't you use your own DNS system for your own domains? Other DNS providers seem to manage fine without relying on a third party, what makes your service unsuitable for your own usage?

• Why do you not setup a small DNS system on a box, Onething LEBs really do good.

• I want to try rage4 but getting "Unable to register new account" at registration page.

@gbshouse why is that?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@WhizzWr - check your password against our password policy, also do not use proxy/Tor

• I use my own, except for freevps.us because it's a DDoS target. For freevps.us I use cloudflare just for dns.

• @gbshouse ah, you're right I missed the minimum 2 symbols requirement. :p

I think your site should give out clear message on what's wrong with the inputted data.
    Also if you want to impose those password policy I imagine it would be easier if the password is auto-generated and e-mailed during sign-up. Both prevents confusion during registration.

• @WhizzWr said: ah, you're right I missed the minimum 2 symbols requirement. :p

I think your site should give out clear message on what's wrong with the inputted data.

I had the same exact issue, it's very confusing

• @WhizzWr said: password is auto-generated and e-mailed

uhhh

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@WhizzWr - one the beginning we offered auto generated password, but after few change requests from our users we've introduced possibility of using your own password. New version will contain few improvements to registration process

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I was using ZoneEdit for a long time before running my own name servers. Then I moved some stuff to Amazon Route 53 as I didn't want to run my own. Now I'm using RAGE4 for anything newer.

I can't see myself moving away from RAGE4 anytime soon. The main reason for the move away from the others was the price.