Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which nameservers do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which nameservers do you use?

a1474563a1474563 Member
edited December 2012 in Help

I recently hired a vps to host many personal websites.. the thing is:
I have the domain names,
I have the hosting (vps) with name based virtual hosts set up...
..... but I'm missing the nameserver that links these two

Untill now, i used FreeDNS Afraid.org nameservers, and they've been amazing.. if some page didn't load, it was always because of my home internet connection failing..

the thing is, I don't really know if it's a reliable service or not, if the other alternatives are better (or not)...

The only I used was afraid.org... i know the existence of zoneedit.com (didn't use) and dyn (expensive, didn't use)

what do you use for your nameserver needs? do you host your own nameservers? do you buy the service from someone?

Thanks for sharing, have a nice day

Comments

• For one domain i just use name.com's DNS
    For all my other domains i use cloudflare for DNS

• All my domain using cloudflare.

• @budingyun said: All my domain using cloudflare.

The interface looks sleak, it's reliable and got optional on demand CDN and flood filter

• Since I have a vps with buyvm and they give you free dns, I use them for a few domains, I like the setup and the fact it's cpanel for admin.

• I use mainly PointHQ (and for some domains namecheap.com's freedns).

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Cloudflare or dns.he.net. Both are rock solid.

• CloudFlare, HE.net

• @BronzeByte said: The interface looks sleak, it's reliable and got optional on demand CDN and flood filter

DNS update almost instant. I'm just using it as nameserver though. :-)

• i'm using cloudflare for DNS

• namecheap ones :)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

< selfpromo > ... so maybe it's time to switch to Rage4 DNS :) < /selfpromo >

• Personally it varies by domain, often I'll use dns.he.net, sometimes namecheap's own, I have a few clients that are pretty much 100% cloudflare, some will use the built in DNS of vpsnodebox and others who have a mix of just about everything.

• @gbshouse said: < selfpromo > ... so maybe it's time to switch to Rage4 DNS :) < /selfpromo >

I'll try your service sometime in the future. Already registered though. :-)

• I use Rackspace's free DNS.

• Namecheap, Cloudflare, or HE.net

• Self hosted nameservers for 108 zones/domains (1,298 dns records) using PowerDNS nameserver software (free, open source) and PowerAdmin for administration (free, open source, very easy to use) , and 3 512MB VPS's (nginx/minstall) in different data centers to run it: IntoVPS (Amsterdam, $10), DotVPS (Rotterdam, $4), IcelandVPS (Reykjavik,$4). Total monthly cost $18.

• definitely rage4

• Im using rage4 as well

• I use ones provided by Daddy and my VPS provider LFCVPS

• Cloudflare, I <3 it to bits.

• HE.net, although I might take a look at Cloudflare.

• edited December 2012

Just recently setup my own dnsonly cluster for fun. http://dns3d.com Though it's only serving two domains right now until I get off my butt and get everything else on board.

• ztecztec Member
    edited December 2012

My domainname provider's nameservers are good, why is everyone using something else? Some are on cloudflare to speed up some sites that are intended for USA public but are hosted in Europe.

• jhjh Member

My own: anycasted.com

• DNSMadeEasy for corporate sites & cPanel DNS cluster for other sites I manage

• Geoscaling for one of my domains, as they've got a little PHP example thingy that will do nearest-first GeoDNS. Going to move it to Rage4 as soon as they issue their latest update.

Rage4 (they're A++) for the few others I care about and HE DNS for the stuff I don't.

• Anyone used Rage4 for a long period? Can't trust them with any serious yet... The fact they use SoftLayer DNS for their own domains doesn't help.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@adly - why do you think we should use our own DNS to host our own domains?

• I use Sitelutions' free DNS.