Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - I am impressed! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - I am impressed!

Comments

• I knew it... ;-) I had the same problem with one of their EX servers. It kept crashing from time to time without obvious reason for it. Hetzner support worked a lot with me on that problem but was unable to solve it, so I cancelled within their 14 days period, got an E3 instead and am happily sailing since then without any issues.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I have a i7-2600, 16 GB Ram running for 226 Days till last reboot. Very much satisfied. With soft Raid 1, I get about 130 MB/s HDD Speed though it's not Ent. HDD. Does the Enterprise Grade HardDisk perform better than the Normal Ones at Hetzner ?? And what's the necessity of Intel NIC ? @Amitz

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

I only have servers with "enterprise" hdds in SW Raid 1 there which perform around 120 MB/s when doing the oh-so-famous dd "test". The Intel NIC is said to perform better than most onboard NICs. Is it a necessity? Not for me, but it could be for others depending on the usage scenario.

• Are you OK with their BW policy?

• @sandro said:
    Are you OK with their BW policy?

Yeah, it allows them to keep the pretty decent network quality they have for the price.

• @sandro said:
    What I don't like about them is that they punish you if you got over the monthly BW, why not just block the traffic?

What do you mean with punish?

In my experience you have two options:

1. They will limit you to 10mbps after you go over monthly BW or
    2. you pay for additional bandwidth (€ 1.17/TB + VAT).
  • @sandro said:

Yes, I am. I keep an eye on my bandwidth usage and never faced any problem. I don't do 20TB+ per month though.

• sandro said: Are you OK with their BW policy?

Here is a crazy idea, if you are likely to reach the bandwidth limit, how about you monitor it and then stop what your doing until the next month starts.

Thanked by 3Amitz GM2015 Maounique
  • I don't see why their policy is better than just stopping traffic like everybody else.

• I don't see why their policy is better than just stopping traffic like everybody else.

• sandro said: I don't see why

You either accept it or you don't. Your choice. No point whining about it.

• I'm not whining...

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@sandro said:

What's the Problem with that ?? You need your Server to stop responding when the 20 TB Bandwidth is finished ?? Most of the Providers give 10-15 TB BW, so Hetzner is doing more than them. Where's the Problem ?? It keeps you connected at 10 Mbit/s, is that a Problem ??

• Like it or not, but I personally prefer paying for overages rather than having my services unavailable in moments of unexpected popularity. But every sperm is different.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: What's the Problem with that ?? You need your Server to stop responding when the 20 TB Bandwidth is finished ?? Most of the Providers give 10-15 TB BW, so Hetzner is doing more than them. Where's the Problem ?? It keeps you connected at 10 Mbit/s, is that a Problem ??

>

Well I was referring with VPSs.

• Hetzner has more Bad Disk, i am met two times, just 3 servers

maybe your need buy STD Servers, Bid is very cheapest and old hardware

• notgod said: STD Servers

Are they safe? What kind of STD?

Thanked by 2arpanjot Maounique
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited September 2015

notgod said: Hetzner has more Bad Disk, i am met two times, just 3 servers

Seems you're just not lucky?
    I'm sure they give you working disks when you ask them.

Other providers also provision servers with faulty disks, so that's one of the things you should check before going in production with such a "used" dedi.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

Lee said: Are they safe? What kind of STD?

It was to expect. So many connections, without DDoS protection...

• @Lee said:
    Are they safe? What kind of STD?

not even sure how we are supposed to check our servers for stds..

Thanked by 2deadbeef Smir
  • @sin said:

Wait, you're administering a server and you're not even a med graduate?

Thanked by 3sin Maounique netomx
  • sin said: not even sure how we are supposed to check our servers for stds..

Depends on the value

find / -name sex | wc -l

returns.

Thanked by 2Smir netomx
  • @sin said:

There is dr server for you. ;)

• @sin said:

Maybe stick your dick in the server?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Just a small update:
    Today, Hetzner impressed me again with a memory issue which took them less than an hour from first ticket to resolution. Friendly all the way. A EUR 29,- server - I really cannot complain at all.

Thanked by 3Tom mehargags Mathias
  • RodneyRodney Member

Same here. I had a server there for almost 2 years (recently switched to a better offer at another provider), they were always surprisingly fast compared to other hosters I've dealt with. Only issue that I ever had with their support was that when my server failed they replaced it with a different one (weaker cpu), but one ticket and <30 min. later that was resolved as well.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • TomTom Member

I've gone from some random host -> ovh -> online, all unpleased. Now at Hetzner for a month, so far impressed, hope Hetzner don't fail on me.

• Had a small server with them for my work, had to cancel the subscription because I no longer needed it after a year. I was always impressed with their service, no matter how cheap priced server you get, their customer support was always top notch.

Of course, customer support isn't the only factor that is important in hosting services but it definitely does play a very big role in keeping customers happy and satisfied even during the time of a pinch. Something I picked up when I moved to the States, "peace of mind" or something like that..

• I ordered servers in Hetzner before and now in Online, they both have excellent services with low prices.

• @Yoda said:
    I've gone from some random host -> ovh -> online, all unpleased. Now at Hetzner for a month, so far impressed, hope Hetzner don't fail on me.

Can't wait to try their new location end of this year :)

Thanked by 1karjaj