Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URPAD vs ChicagoVPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

URPAD vs ChicagoVPS

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: What's wrong with one man teams? You make it sound dirty ;)

I guess it depends on the man himself :) It certainly is not dirty with you or uncle, however, not everyone can work miracles :P

@MannDude said: Correction, doesn't have IPv6 yet... =]

Thanks, any ETA ?

• I don't know about urpad, but had nothing but hassle with ChicagoVPS. First time I've ever met a VPS company that is rude to their customers and doesn't offer any form of refunds if you are unhappy. Like a 3/7/15/30 day kind of deal. Oh and don't pay by credit card, because there is a $25 fee to get refund if you somehow manage to get one. I also encourage to you read the reviews over at LEB on their last deal.

Urpad appears to have a slightly better refund policy from the quick glance I took. Note that I have not personally used urpad so I can't comment further.

I point this out because people tend to overlook this stuff. Then when you aren't happy, you get told tough luck by the VPS provider.

• LeeLee Veteran

To be fair URPad does not offer a refund on VPS services at all. I know this from various posts over at WHT.

• akeraker Member
    edited December 2012

i use urpad $21/y, 3 day after on Suspension ,Suspension Reason: Attempting to run windows on VPS. my install qemu test run windows.urpad say:" This created an unstable service for others on the node, therefor you have been suspended and will -not- be unsuspended."

• @aker said: i use urpad $21/y, 3 day after on Suspension ,Suspension Reason: Attempting to run windows on VPS. my install qume test run windows.

How do you run windows on OVZ?

• Debian 6+Qemu

• @Aker is the qemu ban located in their TOS? They have no grounds to perm suspend you like :S

• TOS did not say this, they Suspension just send email to me, and no warning.

• It's time to start using real virtualization like Xen or KVM
    (pitchforks in 3...)

• @Zetta said: (pitchforks in 3...)

Sorry. I'm not working on Sundays.

• Qemu inside Ovz, and then you attempted to run Windows on it?

...why? <_<;

• @aker said: i use urpad $21/y, 3 day after on Suspension ,Suspension Reason: Attempting to run windows on VPS. my install qemu test run windows.urpad say:" This created an unstable service for others on the node, therefor you have been suspended and will -not- be unsuspended."

I forgot to say this... but...

This is a stupid thing to do in my opinion. Just get a KVM and install Windows on it instead of dealing with OVZ.

• @Wintereise said: Qemu inside Ovz, and then you attempted to run Windows on it?

...why? <_<;

$21/year for Windows VPS. Awesome. Autoboot not included.

@Zetta said: It's time to start using real virtualization like Xen or KVM

(pitchforks in 3...)

Will that save me from getting suspended?

• Urpad does not have autoboot?

• @jcaleb said: Urpad does not have autoboot?

Dewlance exclusive.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I dont find why not QEMU... I tested also that, and works good

edited December 2012

@netomx said: I tested also that, and works good

I guess it depends on provider.
    Some ppl bought windows from Prometeus, the 512 special LET deal to install vmware and virtualbox and run linux, so, who can say what ppl want really...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Maounique said: so, who can say what ppl want really...

maybe just to play? I did it with Chicago bc I was bored :( Win 3.11, Win95, WinXP and tried Win7 but freezes @ setup :(

• fanfan Veteran

@MannDude said: if that's the case simply log a ticket and we'll see whats going on and what we can do to correct the issue.

We want everyone to be satisfied with their service and we'll always try to accommodate requests for things as best we can.

Your reviews from the past on LET were nice, that's why I got the yearly deal, but things happened so far proved I was wrong, at least for now. Support is fast and polite but did literally nothing for me, I reported several performance issues but was only told either to wait or already solved (in fact it's not).

When I asked for a migration to a stable node in LA (Dallas has +50ms latency and NY +80ms, so it's just not what I need) or refund, I was told there's no room in LA and they need to let someone in charge to review the refund request, then it's been no reply for about 2 days now. Before that I PM'ed @FTNChris here but he just ignored my message.

On LA node Savory, for most of the time, it took like a minute to log into SSH console and took like 5 ~ 10 seconds to respond to any command, network got severe packet loss from all over the world for quite a few times. No offense but performance-wise, it's just no better than NordicVPS or HostRail (I wonder how many of you could still remember these legendary hosts).

Fan

• I have used both hosts and Urpad is fast, but you will probably get a TOS violation for about anything. ChicagoVPS is great, until those odd days that everyone is using the same box and it takes over an hour to run an application.

If you are planning on running anything critical that might get some massive use, then find another host. If you are looking for a vps that you just want to get for "I got a deal" and then leave idle, then I suggest URPAD. If you are planning on running anything other then that I suggest Urpad.

Side note: I am working on getting off both hosts and have already fully left urpad. I might keep the chicagovps server for a basic nginx server though.

Second note: ChicagoVPS recently lost all data on there chicago servers so on either host make sure you back up your data.

Third note: I have never in my life of owning/using vps's seen as long of a terms of service as Urpad. http://www.urpad.net/terms-of-service.shtml They will also when they magically determine you violate TOS shut down your instance and then they can't restart it to remove the data.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited December 2012

URPad is great in Dallas -- have one of their $12/year or whatever it was there. Had a VPS in LA a few months ago, let it drop because it wasn't being used.

Chicago is great in LA -- well, after the initial reboot hiccups -- and decent in Chicago. Both hosts are great. Chicago is the $7/2GB provider, URPad is a bit more varied.

@Mun said: I have never in my life of owning/using vps's seen as long of a terms of service as Urpad. http://www.urpad.net/terms-of-service.shtml

They combine AUP and TOS into one document. For kicks, I pasted Chicago's TOS/AUP into a single Word document, and it's got 4,960 words to URPad's 4,739.

• @ihatetonyy

Though most of CVPS TOS is actually about payments and such, URpad is about what you can't do with your vps/website/dedicated server etc.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited December 2012

I will use my urpad for free hosting my friends websites with low traffic, for their learning

• I was a customer of both of them and was not happy. So I would recommend to look for alternatives.

@jcaleb said: I will use my urpad for free hosting my friends websites with low traffic, for their learning

Same here, gave it to someone in south america to learn hosting since they wont need ipv6 too soon.

• ZettaZetta Member
    edited December 2012

@Amitz said: I would recommend to look for alternatives.

Whether you like it or not, you always get what you pay for in the end.

• @Zetta i have to agree we you..

• markmark Member
    edited March 2013

Well, seen as this has been dragged up from last December for some reason, I may as well contribute as I am now a customer of both. Being in the UK, I go for the Chicago DC for both and find them both to be very responsive with good connectivity (both Colocrossing if memory serves me right?). Last support contact with CVPS was good; before Jeramiah disappeared, it was always short, snappy and downright rude but seems a lot better now. Not had to contact URPad support.

And for the DD fans - done just now:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

URPad:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.73947 s, 287 MB/s

cVPS:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 6.85116 s, 157 MB/s

• Wrong question, both are overcommitted.
    Instead ask yourself: UGVPS or WeLoveServers?
    (just mentioning two fine services in the US offering 1.5GB of RAM for less than $5/mo)