Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its people like this that ruin the LEB market. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Its people like this that ruin the LEB market.

Comments

• Lol! wait till the solusvm just refuse to work when you had to shift around or vps not booting despite solusvm telling its booted. Then they know what magic and saviour are command lines and ssh / consoles can be during that point of time. =/

• @Daniel I have to admit that I took one quick look at Xen's setup guide and went 'Huh?'

• @DrMike don't worry, Xen still puzzles me a bit.

KVM is much easier.

• Forget IPv4, future is IPv6 :)

Comcast's IPv6 Deployment Has Started, they are providing native IPv6 for customers - http://www.comcast6.net/

With major companies setting up their own DCs in Asia (Singapore/Japan/India), it makes way for more cheaper asian VPS providers.

• Anyone want to succeed in LEB market must remember the words by Fionn http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/byte-bistro-6-95-512mb-xen-vps-in-france/#comment-50380

Secondly you need your own hardware, not rented and your own IP space and a good co location facility partner.

QuickWeb selected PhoenixNAP, AZ and have their own HW and IP space.

NordicVPS is located in CoreSite, CA and have our own HW and IP space.

RAMHost have multiple locations, Kansas and LA and have their own HW and IP space.

I do not believe, the LEB VPS market will run out of stock any time soon :)

• Got your own hardware/colocation ready but no own IPv4 space?

For ARIN/APNIC (US/Asia), contact Roel at QuickWeb, he can help you out.

For RIPE (Europe) - You just require a sponsoring LIR partner to get your own IP space.

Fees are involved :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NordicVPS said: Forget IPv4, future is IPv6 :)

Easy to say, hard to do.

I think we got more IPV6 traffic than most and even then it's only accounting for a few mbit of traffic a month. I think it used to account for more when we didn't have BW accounting working for it, but that ended a few months back :P

Francisco

• Hang on NordicVPS giving advice out on how to survive in the LEB market :S

Thanked by 1drmike
  • NordicVPSNordicVPS Member
    edited November 2011

@VMPort We were unprepared for the great storm (curse) of LEB :)

Today we do no longer offer $15/year offers on our servers in Hetzner.
    But we offer $15/year VPS in San Jose, where have our own IP space and fully owned hardware.

All customers in US, affected by the unexpected downtime were all provided minimum 2 months of free service. Some opted not to accept the offer but the rest are enjoying a premium service powered by the latest E31270.

In Germany, we continue to provide hosting for all OpenVZ plans including 128MB yearly plans, until their current subscription expires.

• @Francisco I do not understand why ISPs do not roll out IPv6 to the subscribers when they have the infrastructure in place already, at least in US & Europe.

• @NordicVPS: Because that would cost them money. They're going to basically wait until they HAVE to roll out IPv6, then double their prices.

• @NickM

Yep that's about right :)

• You have to keep in mind, that rolling out IPv6 to customers involves sending out new routers and set-ups. Because if you simply change the infrastructure set-up you are changing the contractual agreement. So if anything fails you are liable.

• @kylix Yes it disappointing to see only three devices, currently provided by Comcast supports IPv6. (http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/)

• @NordicVPS said: Anyone want to succeed in LEB market

Should you really be giving advice on how to run a successful company?

• @Aldryic

Yep, that was my point as well.

edited November 2011

@Aldryic @VMPort

Unlike some here I do not try to be smart.
    Unlike some I do not wish anyone to fail!
    By sharing what I have learnt in the past, I hope more LEB start ups will succeed not fail.

LEB is great resource where new start ups have the opportunity to get exposed to large community.
    Unlike some, I do not wish (demand) LEA to limit posting new providers or ban competition.

• Personally, I feel a company's responsibility lies in helping their clients first and foremost. Regardless of how 'successful' a startup may be, there is no guarantee that they will treat their customers right.

I honestly would rather see less startups. I could care less about a fly-by-night company having issues; it's the folks that got shafted by poor/shady business practices that I feel for. Not to mention that every time another UptimeVPS or (insert provider here) goes belly-up, it does nothing but give a bad name to the rest of us that actually run a legitimate service.

• @Aldryic

100% Fact, hence the thread title, why should reputable providers suffer due to your bad business plans.

• @Aldryic Everyone have the opportunity to create a start up. Customers looking for low end budget offers on LEB must have learn't their lessons now.

Customers should be aware and not pay annually or even bi-annually on new start up businesses. Customers should at least test the new VPS for 30 days before moving important files and data to the new VPS.

Why would anyone pay a company without checking if they are a legal registered company. (Only exception was w2servers)

When a company (keep) changing PayPal address, why do people keeping paying them? A company PayPal address should match the company domain, not some personal email from free email provider.

Fly-by-night companies have always been a part of the hosting business, because only in this business can a 14year old kid start up a business. To create a shared hosting business, all it requires is some cash, some rented server space and the popular control panel software combo, WHM/cPanel and WHMCS.

To create a VPS hosting business, it requires some cash to rent a server and get the SolusVM / WHMCS software combo. (Save some $$, select HyperVM)

It is way too easy to become a VPS provider today.

With ClubUptime and lately Enetsouth, we've seen even companies with good reputation can go belly up. No one can provide 100% guarantees of any kind.

• @VMPort You are a new comer. I do not know anything about your previous business experince, but I notice your domain was registered very recently: Creation date: 19 Jun 2011

I would not call VMPort.com a reputable provider, yet :)

• Yes, clients do need to be aware of what they're getting into. However, you're contradicting yourself now. You're all for more successful startups, but think that clients should avoid non-registered businesses?

The rest of your post is common-knowledge for regulars here; we're all very well aware of just how easy it is to see someone be successful, then try to copy what they do. The existence of business-level resellers just makes it worse.

The bottom line is, the low-end market is not a starting point for a successful company. There's too much investment, up-front charges, and a low starting payoff; especially for companies that do things right and avoid renting.

Your contempt for "customers that haven't learned their lessons" tells me exactly how you would treat clients, and only goes to show that your past mistakes have taught you very little. Your concern isn't for the people you're hosting, but rather to ensure that you keep your income flowing without falling apart like your last attempt. And that, мой друг, is why some of us even now are taking bets on how long you'll last this go around.

• I dont believe i said a reputable provider like ours, i said reputable providers as in general?

Eitherway yes 19 June 2011 we started out under our first name in

Creation date: 25 Feb 2011 18:24:00
    Expiration date: 25 Feb 2012 13:24:00

So not too far of a year and no-unhappy or ripped of customers :P Longer than some of the start up's we see and where now offering free trial VPS for our new KVM line so all things for us are on the up, not the down.

Ash

• @Aldryic мой друг , We were not ready for the LEB market. Customers on our XEN offers have experienced no problems. With LEB, we accepted too many customers in a very short time range, something we will not repeat. We learnt from our mistake.

Today we have a cluster of servers in US to provide stable service for every customer.

@VMPort Everyone deserve a chance :) Most providers on LEB are max 4 years old, some are just 2 years old. (Ramhost, BuyVM, QuickWeb, NordicVPS)

Many LEB companies have blossomed due the success of SolusVM.

• SolusVM - Success :O Really? Have you not seen our thread on WHT :P

• @NordicVPS said: some are just 2 years old

Actually, our Frantech brand has been running for a bit over five years now. Our BuyVM line is the same hardware, same setup; not a "new" offshoot.

• @NordicVPS said: success of SolusVM.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ahaha. hah.

ahem.

Yeah, their raging 'success' is why we scrapped that garbage code of theirs and wrote our own panel. A panel that's in very high demand by everyone that wants to move away from that poorly coded pile of junk.

• When it comes to the point your considering vePortal, sh*t has hit the fan :)

edited November 2011

@Aldryic You no longer provides or accepts customers on the VMWare platform, right?

Basically you had a lot of unused hardware, ready to be deployed for the LEB market.

Presumably, you already had experience from hosting even before the set up of Frantech.ca business, like most new start ups ;)

People just have to look up "frantech" on WHT to get a glimpse of your past.

Our mistake: Not having fully owned infrastructure and lack of support personnel. It is impossible to provide LEB without having access to own hardware and network infrastructure.

SolusVM

Even with the problems everyone have with SolusVM, the software makes it very easy and cheap to set up a VPS hosting business.

You can select between HyperVM or SolusVM or go high end with OnApp.

Only RAMHOST have a true home brewed control panel ;)

• @VMPort Can only agree about VEPortal. Bad support.