Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Cyber Monday] URPad $21/Year ($1.75/m) VPS - 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 750GB BW - In 3 Locations. Must See - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Cyber Monday] URPad $21/Year ($1.75/m) VPS - 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, 750GB BW - In 3 Locations. Must See

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

I'm thinking of ordering another one, on Dallas location =)

• LA node is so slow that I just gave up, no reason to keep it, anybody wants it?
    Let me know.

• @LAKid said: LA node is so slow that I just gave up, no reason to keep it, anybody wants it?

Let me know.

just wait about one or two weeks later... until every one not doing any benchmarks

• In LA, its just the network that is a bit slow at times. But IO is okay.

• Got one in LA two days ago. Network and IO is fair, rather slow sometimes.

Cannot be accessed at the moment, either by SSH or HTTP, but ping is ok. I guess the node is highly overloaded.

• @dsz said: Got one in LA two days ago. Network and IO is fair, rather slow sometimes.

Cannot be accessed at the moment, either by SSH or HTTP, but ping is ok. I guess the node is highly overloaded.

Have you opened a ticket for we can look into this for you?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2012

Will urpad distribute us later on their nodes for better performance? Perhaps they cant look at it yet now because of too many orders coming.

Edit: not for me, I'm happy with mine. But because just reading above comments

• 1GB RAM guranteed or burst ??

• dszdsz Member
    edited November 2012

@FTNChris said: Have you opened a ticket for we can look into this for you?

It has recovered now but download is slow (~500KB/s from cachefly). Perhaps the node is out of bandwidth just now.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@dsz Having the same problem here, you can tell that the nodes are very much oversold.

• I'm moving stuff out of here, can't trust the node.
    Wasting money and time. So pissed off.

• @LAKid said: I'm moving stuff out of here, can't trust the node.

Wasting money and time. So pissed off.

They didn't help you resolve performance problems?

• @darknessends said: 1GB RAM guranteed or burst ??

1024 MB RAM Guaranteed

it's clearly written on first post

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb It's ok now, but this happened the other day, opened ticket, and resolved.
    But it keeps happening, like today, and it will happen again tomorrow, can't take a chance anymore.

• There were some abusers across some nodes(mainly savory), which we promptly addressed. If anyone is still experiencing any performance issues please contact our support team. Everything should be back to normal.

@FTNChris I hate the fact that you guys don't allow game servers, even after I've clearly listed reasons on why this wouldn't go against your fair-use agreement. Unbelievable.

• @LAKid Thanks, I might have not noticed performance issues as I only use it at night after work.

• @RobertJFClarke said: @FTNChris I hate the fact that you guys don't allow game servers, even after I've clearly listed reasons on why this wouldn't go against your fair-use agreement. Unbelievable.

Game servers are allowed on windows VPS's only. Game servers have never been allowed and they never will on OpenVZ services.

@FTNChris So stupid, even after giving you valid reasons on why this wouldn't affect system performance in any way. This is why folks should stay away from Urpad.

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited November 2012

@RobertJFClarke said: @FTNChris So stupid, even after giving you valid reasons on why this wouldn't affect system performance in any way. This is why folks should stay away from Urpad.

Give someone a pass, and everyone will want a pass.

We bend over backwards constantly for our clients as much as possible but we must keep everything fair for everyone. Game servers such as Minecraft have always been disallowed per out TOS.

Just because one person comes up with a reason why they believe something should be allowed doesn't mean we will allow it. We have the right to deny service to anybody for what ever reason like any other business no matter the profession or service they provide as a business we always have this right.

Ref: http://www.urpad.net/terms-of-service.shtml

@FTNChris "Gameservers (e.g., Minecraft) are prohibited on our servers due with the level of CPU abuse we've seen originating from them." That's the thing, I've made it very clear that my intentions for such a server are very much for personal use only, keeping CPU usage down to a minimum, which is why I requested to be able to do this.

• @RobertJFClarke said: @FTNChris "Gameservers (e.g., Minecraft) are prohibited on our servers due with the level of CPU abuse we've seen originating from them." That's the thing, I've made it very clear that my intentions for such a server are very much for personal use only, keeping CPU usage down to a minimum, which is why I requested to be able to do this.

Why not find another host?

@jcaleb Would happily do that, if not for the 2 years worth of service that I paid for. Yes, I did read the TOS, but the TOS also said that I could do it if permission was gained from URPad. Considering my very reasonable circumstances, I thought it wouldn't be a problem. Clearly I was wrong.

• @FTNChris Perhaps you should put on some limits on the boxes to prevent abusers so every can share the node equally. I looked at the /proc/user_beancounters, and it seemed that most values are currently set at the maximum.

I/O is ok now :) but network is still slow.

• Anyone ordered in Dallas? How's performance?

• @jcaleb said: Anyone ordered in Dallas? How's performance?

i was order on buffalo, ny. but located on dallas

so far so good :)

root@vps4:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  850.034 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   23:25,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 6.94MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 9.68MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.50MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK:  
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.97MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.08MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.19MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 3.11MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 5.50MB/s 
    I/O speed :  19.4 MB/s

• @arieonline thanks! the io, seems low

• LA, Savory using Akamaras bench script

root@urpaddev:~# bash bench.sh
    CPU model :    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    CPU frequency : 850.250 MHz
    System uptime :   2 min,       
    Download speed : (841KB/s) 
    I/O speed : 144MB/s
    root@urpaddev:~# bash bench.sh
    CPU frequency : 850.250 MHz
    System uptime :   4 min,       
    Download speed : (890KB/s) 
    I/O speed : 173MB/s

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb
    here is the update (with Akamaras bench script)

LA, Savory Node, $12/y

root@vps2:~/temp# bash bench.sh
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 3401.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    System uptime :   3 days, 14:42,       
    Download speed : (19.1MB/s) 
    I/O speed : 158MB/s

Dallas, Juliet Node, $24/y

root@vps4:~/temp# bash bench.sh
    CPU frequency : 850.034 MHz
    System uptime :   1 day, 6:36,       
    Download speed : (7.69MB/s) 
    I/O speed : 185MB/s

i think everyone stop doing benchmark :)

• Glad to see that performance has stabilized for you all!