Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dumbest support ticket you, as a provider/staff member, have seen this week?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dumbest support ticket you, as a provider/staff member, have seen this week?

bamnbamn Member
edited November 2012 in General

Best ticket today: can you show me how to enable remote desktop on my PC at home.

Yeah while I'm at it, let me take your dogs out for a walk and pick up your dry cleaning.

Budget / whiny customers: take note of how you treat your support staff. If you were that one client who files a ticket once in awhile, I would had pasted a link from Microsoft's website, but you're one of those hand holding clients who waves $4 at a VPS provider like we're supposed to jump like trained circus animals so you got the copy/paste reply of "Your request does not fall under our obligations as a VPS provider since this applies to your home PC"

Comments

• Just say no? :)

• @bamn said: Budget / whiny customers: take note of how you treat your support staff.

Disrespectful hosts: take note of how you treat your customers.

• Dumbest tickets? {PHP}eval ... and so on.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Dumbest tickets? {PHP}eval ... and so on.

Yeah, I wonder why people (I mean bots) still send those..

• @infinity i wonder too. But who knows, if you knock on 1000 doors, one of them might open.

• @serverian said: Just say no? :)

Replied with lmgtfy.com

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@bamn said: Replied with lmgtfy.com

Even with really annoying and dumb customers, I still tend to reply as courteously as I would with any other customer, even for requests which shouldn't even be done due to it being an un-managed service, e.g. configurations for software (that's if it's a quick fix). Even with raging customers.

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

Nobody else has a good ticket?

I like how all the warez / DMCA offenders are often the cheapest customers, constantly complain about the performance of their $3/mo 256mb OpenVZ VPS, but have big ol' DONATE VIA PAYPAL buttons on their Wordpress / blog sites

• skirtTightskirtTight Member
    edited November 2012

@bamn said: I like how all the warez / DMCA offenders are often the cheapest customers, constantly complain about the performance of their $3/mo 256mb OpenVZ VPS, but have big ol' DONATE VIA PAYPAL buttons on their Wordpress / blog sites

-shares videos illegally
    -doesnt host them himself
    -half of the website is just huge ass flashy ads and 50 popups
    -PLZ DONATE WE NEED 500 USD TO RUN THIS SITE

• @bamn said: Nobody else has a good ticket?

It's usually unprofessional to ridicule potential customer base, current or otherwise. Also doesn't reflect well on the provider if they're spilling the beans on their customers, outside of a customer-initiated discussion on a public forum (thus their expectation of privacy becomes nil).

As @kbeezie said, plus ask @damian how that worked out with posting a ticket :(

• I think the result was:

• LeeLee Veteran

To be honest it's more annoying to see posts like this. That $4 is what you chose to charge, if they have a paypal donate button on a site run on their $3 VPS then that is up to them.

Everyone expects to get the service you advertise, at the price "you" asked them to pay!

• Goodness, I see from some of the responses there needs to be an anonymous place to post your funniest tickets so others who get fed up from time to time can laugh at.

Now I do not work in the VPS/Hosting industry but I have done technical support in various forms over the years. Whether I dealt with tickets or phone calls, I always had days I would talk to co-workers and find out their craziest and funniest questions and requests and it helped pass time and let off steam so you COULD be as nice as needed to the next customer/client.

I do not have some company on here I am trying to be goody goody to make mine look the best so I can be a little more frank. I must say whether customers know it or not, the people who handle their support requests have to let off steam by talking about the craziest questions we got.

Are we giving out personal info in the discussion or revealing anything considered private to that incident? NO! It goes something like this "oh man I got this ticket today from someone who was asking me how to put remote desktop on their home computer, like I work for MS tech support?!" Did anyone get hurt in that conversation? Nope.

I like how all the warez / DMCA offenders are often the cheapest customers, constantly complain about the performance of their $3/mo 256mb OpenVZ VPS, but have big ol' DONATE VIA PAYPAL buttons on their Wordpress / blog sites

@bamn - Sounds like you have a real nice pool of customers over there. Sure, copy and paste some of your tickets over here. Unfortunately all of our customers are well behaved - well mannered - really nice folks, so there isn't anything exciting going on here.

• @kbeezie said: It's usually unprofessional to ridicule potential customer base, current or otherwise. Also doesn't reflect well on the provider if they're spilling the beans on their customers, outside of a customer-initiated discussion on a public forum (thus their expectation of privacy becomes nil).

+1. Whatever the customer says in a ticket stays in a ticket. Privacy is privacy.

@bamn said: but you're one of those hand holding clients who waves $4 at a VPS provider like we're supposed to jump like trained circus animals

Either refer to the terms and conditions of what is and isn't support or increase the price. You chose to sell the package at said price point then please provide the service included.

All business models should have included support cost if any into a package as well as other overhead. If that isn't the case, therein's the first problem.

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@Holoshed said: Goodness, I see from some of the responses there needs to be an anonymous place to post your funniest tickets so others who get fed up from time to time can laugh at.

4chan... though seriously though with a complete lack of transparency, the place would just take a shit dive. Having accounts and some transparency as to who we are attached grants at least some credibility, but even with a complete anonymous section I wouldn't waste my time posting tickets I thought to be a dime-a-dozen and predictable.

Think about it... so far most of the stuff mentioned are stuff we've all heard before and know of, and I doubt that if the next 5 or 10 people actually decided to share, it'd be another, 'been there, done that'. But that aside, things posted anonymously tend to have a way of finding their way to the affected parties if it makes a big enough splash.

• @concerto49 said: Either refer to the terms and conditions of what is and isn't support or increase the price. You chose to sell the package at said price point then please provide the service included.

All business models should have included support cost if any into a package as well as other overhead. If that isn't the case, therein's the first problem.

@concerto49 - If this is how @bamn respects and treats his customers then he can't expect his customers to respect him as a provider, or even take him seriously at times. I guess this isn't exactly the response that he was expecting from the community here.

• @Holoshed said: Goodness, I see from some of the responses there needs to be an anonymous place to post your funniest tickets so others who get fed up from time to time can laugh at.

http://thedailywtf.com/ - great site of all the fun you want.

• @concerto49 said: http://thedailywtf.com/ - great site of all the fun you want.

Well there ya go, its a win/win situation!

• @concerto49 said: http://thedailywtf.com/ - great site of all the fun you want.

Where's the section of businesses WTFing their customers? :P

• @kbeezie said: Where's the section of businesses WTFing their customers? :P

It's not obvious since it's all anonymous as asked :P

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Had a guy who couldn't figure out how to access a desktop on his VPS. So I set it up for him and he's been a perfect paying customer ever since. Boring story, I know ;)

• @jarland - Sounds like a perfectly decent customer to me ;-)

• bamnbamn Member
    edited November 2012

@skirtTight said: -shares videos illegally

-doesnt host them himself
    -half of the website is just huge ass flashy ads and 50 popups
    -PLZ DONATE WE NEED 500 USD TO RUN THIS SITE

You pretty much summed up this client.

@kbeezie said: It's usually unprofessional to ridicule potential customer base, current or otherwise.

It's also one thing to get butthurt in a rant over a vague description of the issue, without me mentioning specific details of the customer, where they live or even mentioning the site itself.

Follow the directions on the back of the package.

@Holoshed said: Whether I dealt with tickets or phone calls, I always had days I would talk to co-workers and find out their craziest and funniest questions and requests and it helped pass time and let off steam so you COULD be as nice as needed to the next customer/client.

Most people with employment experience engage in this type of employee behavior to let the steam off but looking at some of these responses, seems like the box of Prep H needs to be opened up and it's contents distributed to those in immediate need.

• haha. Minecraft customers. ha. ha. haha.

@lele0108

• All I've got to say about URPad clients is that they're all wonderful and great, and each and everyone is a pleasure to provide support to. =]

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2012

@MannDude said: All I've got to say about URPad clients

All I have to say about URPad clients is welcome, enjoy your stay! /sarcasm

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Sharing tickets will violate my own TOS.

However the funniest tickets we get are about guys demanding refund, otherwise will post bad reviews on WHT/LET and pretty much every other shitty forum they know. Atleast 1 of those every 2 months.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Sharing tickets will violate my own TOS.

I don't care what the client's name is or their website, all you guys need to man up instead of acting like a bunch of these LET online lawyers who post legal theories in every thread.

Would I violate a customer's privacy by saying an idiot flooded the support tickets for 6 hours straight during a shift change about his "VPS down" and after 20 of his own posts, without a reply and some screaming about threats to post on WHT/LET, the last post was "I just noticed I didn't pay my bill".

These situations offer insights to existing providers, new providers and those considering starting up as it allows them to form their own AUP/TOS (most of you copy/paste each other's stuff, right?) and form support ticket policy regarding customers like these.