Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences?

124»

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Mun said:

Yes very helpful, thank you.

• I've been with delimiter since February 2014 and besides a few hiccups in the network. I haven't had any major issues with it or with support.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • I have been with Delimiter since Feb 2015. Network has been reliable. I have only experienced one network outage and it was due to natural resources. I wish they had a better support for answering tickets. Their answers are extremely short, and feel like they are being bothered. @MarkTurner I have a ticket from July 31, 2015 and it closed without any comments. Ticket ID: #293421. I replied yesterday, I still have not heard a response. I will have a full review here and WHT at the 9/12 months mark.

• hdpixel said: Ticket ID: #293421.

Please PM me a copy of the ticket contents and also your registered email address.

• @MarkTurner PM sent. Thank you.

• @jbiloh said:
    What sort of dacentec packages are most popular?

To seriously answer your question: It's all the sub-$30 boxes they dropped in the last few months, older gear but still very usable (L5420/X34xx/whatever cheap Opterons they got in). They must've also got truckloads of refurbished 2TB RE4's because that has become the new default.

The support is quite good, very responsive. Network isn't great, but still very usable and Gigabit vs. most other similarly priced offers that only have 100Mbps or 2-3TB @ 1Gbps.

They launched a ton of the older Opterons, x3440s and L5420s at <$30/mo with 8-16GB ram & 2x2TB with 10TB @ 1Gbps. Dedicated gear for the cost of a typical 2-3GB KVM VPS at a good provider.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @jbiloh anything with 2x2TB disks under $30 makes an amazing backup box. We got 3 machines with them all really good. We have the 1381 with 2x2 for $20 which is our main backup box. We have a 2xL5420 RTO for $40 which runs a few VPSes for testing and the $30 dell RTO with 4x146GBSAS which is perfect for a playground trialing a few new things and with IPMI for an extra $5 it isn't a bad deal.

Thanks for the information. Definitely an interesting approach to those older servers. I presume their thinking is that use them as loss leaders in an effort to get customers to expand/upgrade to profitable services.

• @jbiloh said:
    Thanks for the information. Definitely an interesting approach to those older servers. I presume their thinking is that use them as loss leaders in an effort to get customers to expand/upgrade to profitable services.

I'd say maybe the $20s are break even or loss. But $30+ is more likely profitable even with RTO, these servers won't be brand new just refurbs with 2 year old disks. But to be fair they have got decent disks and decent hardware very few people have reported a broken disk and I haven't seen anyone complain about faulty server on here yet.

Assuming you using resources (bandwidth) the cost has to be around $35 I imagine.

• @jbiloh said:
    Assuming you using resources (bandwidth) the cost has to be around $35 I imagine.

10TB bandwidth isn't often used on non abused networks.