Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter and Dacentec experiences?

Comments

• hawc said: Dacentec from the UK now they stopped faffing around with their traffic management

they stopped that last year.. it just depends on the route :)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    they stopped that last year.. it just depends on the route :)

A month or two ago two people were having their outbound traffic shaped. One cancelled and the other had their shaping removed as far as I'm aware.

• IThinkUFailed said: A month or two ago two people were having their outbound traffic shaped. One cancelled and the other had their shaping removed as far as I'm aware.

there is no shaping anymore on Virgin media. only on upstream. they where maybe in congested areas in which case it would need to be applied.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    there is no shaping anymore on Virgin media.

I'm not talking about your isp. Dacentec were shaping all outbound traffic for the users in question. Regardless of location or isp used.

They resolved it for one user and the other cancelled because the shaping was so bad. 100Mbps to start and within a few seconds it'd be 5Mbps - 1Mbps. This might of been isolated to the two people I know of.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

We never shape traffic on the backbone, but somewhere in the process of leaving GTT and Tinet and going to Level3 there were some reports of poor performance.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • IThinkUFailed said: I'm not talking about your isp. Dacentec were shaping all outbound traffic for the users in question. Regardless of location or isp used.

same applies. they don't throttle traffic. perhaps you could give us some further proof?

• @dacentec said:
    We never shape traffic on the backbone, but somewhere in the process of leaving GTT and Tinet and going to Level3 there were some reports of poor performance.

These could be linked. It was around this time.

@TarZZ92 said:
    same applies. they don't throttle traffic. perhaps you could give us some further proof?

Such as? Already said users in question.had it resolved. One sure to cancelling and the other via tickets. Besides it could be the above that caused it. The only reason I commented was because people had issues.

• Delimiter is good IMO, but support is pretty slow, 6+hrs if dedi is down etc.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @Reetus - if you open an outage report then it should be handled instantly. What was your ticket #

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

Running two servers @ Dacentec for last 3-4months , no problems , till now :)

• pattanagulpattanagul Member
    edited September 2015

I am quite happy with Delimiter support. First I ordered X5150 server which took about 2 days after ordering. I thought it was because of weekend, so I decided to open a ticket and ask about it. I got response in about 15 minutes and my server was set up 30 minutes later. I ordered a second one which was their Atom server. It was delivered about 2-3 hours. Later, I decided that the Atom doesn't meet my expectation. So I was wondering if I can upgrade atom to E5420 server. I opened a ticket and got response very quick (15 min). Sale department arranged with me to take the Atom back, opened a new order for the new one, send me invoice and set up my new server within 1 hour (4 tickets back and forth with approximately 10-15 minutes responses). After receiving my second server, I opened another ticket asking about their double RAM promotion which was already over. Steve, however, was nice enough to add 2X RAM to my server. Additional RAM was installed after 3-4 hours after requested. Beside, network is stable and the speed is pretty good also.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • kamalkamal Member
    edited September 2015

@MarkTurner ... I would like to know if Dedicated Servers - Atlanta - HP BL260C Dual E5420, 8GB, 500GB Dedicated Server would be best choice for hosting around 10+ WordPress websites with minimal traffic .. also can I have swap of 16 Gb will this help me avoid memory exhaustion ? my current 4 GB VPS doesn't support Swap and I have to restart it every time because the server runs out of memory during peak times.

Also how many IP address do I get, is there any server with 16 GB ram for low budget

• @kamal: There are a few options:

HP BL260C Dual E5420, 8GB, 500GB $20/month paid month-to-month

Then add 8GB RAM for $5/month

Total $25/month

Or go quarterly and get this for $20/month:

HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB

You get 1xIPv4 with each and /64 IPv6

• @kamal said:
    10+ WordPress websites with minimal traffic

Not sure how much traffic is "minimal" to you, but typically a VPS is quite sufficient for this. And most of the time, memory is not important on a PHP site. I mean, 4GB is way enough for a site with millions of visit per day.

Put proper optimization there and you should never worry about the performance.

• @msg7086 - it depends on how many plugins are being cascaded off Wordpress. Traffic may not kill it but some of those plugins are really badly written

• ReetusReetus Member
    edited September 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Reetus - if you open an outage report then it should be handled instantly. What was your ticket #

842125 was 4 hours, not 6, my mistake, 575964 was down like 7+ hours before it fixed itself, but 9 hours for a response.

• kamalkamal Member
    edited September 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    kamal: There are a few options:

HP BL260C Dual E5420, 8GB, 500GB $20/month paid month-to-month

Then add 8GB RAM for $5/month

Total $25/month

Or go quarterly and get this for $20/month:

HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB

You get 1xIPv4 with each and /64 IPv6

Thank you very much, How can I customize it as I cannot see it in the order page ? Also How much would a /29 cost ? or cost per IP

Also if anyone could suggest me location, I am from Asia I will be hosting WordPress + Html sites .. which location would be appropriate ?

Also will I be able to install Vmware ESXI, I think it is free for single processor server .. and then create a VM with maximum size and get a cPanel VPS license ? is this method effective ? I was thinking of installing CentminMod but having cPanel makes it very easy

Kindly give me suggestions

• @kamal - PM me your home IP and I'll test some routes.

/29 = $8/month

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

I wasn't that impressed by Delimiter when I gave them a shot:

1. Order was not delivered, no communication was received

2. When we chased it up a week later, they where out of stock in that location and wating on us (with no communication) to chase them up

3. Refund offered, requested.

4. A week later no refund.

5. Disputed payment and won around 3 days later when Delimiter granted refund

Only loss was in terms of time, but not a great experience thats for sure. I am not necessarily advising against them, but just keep this in mind if you have a time sensitive project.

• It seems Dacentec run out all the stock @Dacentec.

• @Netxons they'll be restocking today

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited September 2015

My experience with Dacentec has been simply excellent. I have not used Delimiter.

Dacentec:

• I did RTO for a year
    • Went to straight colo/upgraded hardware after that
    • Been with them about 3 years now
    • Network seems fine; and they appear to be constantly improving (I don't stress over it too much because everything has failover and load-balancing to multiple other providers anyway)
    • Only two major outages IIRC at least a year or more ago
    • They have been quite flexible with IPs/lowering prices (when another offer came out)/etc

My two wishlist items for Dacentec:

• More locations! They are one of the very few providers I would trust in multiple locations.
    • It would be nice to have 24x7 IP KVM via VPN/private network for free or an on-demand system like how Online.net does it. But Dacentec's support is so quick that ordering their free IP KVM has never been a problem (and haven't had to use it often anyway), so no big deal.

I have no other affiliation with Dacentec besides currently being a satisfied customer.

EDIT: Sadly, I usually refrain from praising providers here any more because of "LowEndDDoS" that typically happens after that. There are a few others I would like to compliment as well but I am concerned about the ensuing "negative" impact to them. I also don't visit LET much any more because of the "LowEndBickering" that typically happens. PM me if you want other recommendations for VPS (KVM), Dedi, or Colo.

Thanked by 2dacentec GM2015
  • edited September 2015

Deleted

• Not sure if it's true, seems like Dacentec is adding DDoS protection, is that true?

• Dacentec are killing it - I use their servers in production and would do again in a heartbeat.

I know it's only $10 but my Delimiter box keeps rebooting at random times and sadly the network has gone way downhill from when I've used them before.

• linuxthefish said: sadly the network has gone way downhill from when I've used them before.

How has the network 'gone way downhill'? You are the first person to say that, if anything its improving every single month. There was a thread a few weeks ago where people were posting their Delimiter/Dacentec and someone else tests and Delimiter topped every single test.

• @MarkTurner said:
    How has the network 'gone way downhill'? You are the first person to say that, if anything its improving every single month. There was a thread a few weeks ago where people were posting their Delimiter/Dacentec and someone else tests and Delimiter topped every single test.

FreeVPS "bench.sh":

• @linuxthefish - that looks like an Atom with network interface problem ie not gigabit or high error rate. Cachefly alone you should get 800-900Mbps.

Open a support ticket and ask them to get it escalated.

Thanked by 2netomx vimalware
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited September 2015

@linuxthefish - same test:

Download speed from CacheFly: 105MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 76.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 64.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 6.05MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.76MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 108MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.28MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 9.90MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 27.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 19.8MB/s

For transatlantic traffic, this it to Online.net's iperf server with 10GE server in Atlanta:

C- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [ 4] 13.00-13.08 sec 3.75 MBytes 412 Mbits/sec 0 3.81 MBytes
    [ 6] 13.00-13.08 sec 3.75 MBytes 413 Mbits/sec 0 3.82 MBytes
    [ 8] 13.00-13.08 sec 3.75 MBytes 413 Mbits/sec 0 3.82 MBytes
    [ 10] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 2.89 MBytes
    [ 12] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 3.82 MBytes
    [ 14] 13.00-13.08 sec 3.75 MBytes 413 Mbits/sec 0 3.49 MBytes
    [ 16] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 3.67 MBytes
    [ 18] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 3.75 MBytes
    [ 20] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 3.62 MBytes
    [ 22] 13.00-13.08 sec 1.25 MBytes 138 Mbits/sec 0 2.57 MBytes
    [ 24] 13.00-13.08 sec 2.50 MBytes 275 Mbits/sec 0 3.61 MBytes