Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PayPal dispute advice?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PayPal dispute advice?

DataFrogsDataFrogs Banned
edited November 2012 in General

So, right now my paypal went - $ because someone disputed $75 because they bought a virtual item off of me and got it, they then go ahead and lie in the dispute. I called paypal, told them everything, yet they are not very helpful. The dispute was for group access on a website I run, yet he says
"From Buyer - kristofer 11/21/2012 12:59 GMT-05:00
I made this payment with a promise of getting a 14k Gold Engagement band.

Just found out that it was a fake advertisement and that the user was trying to scam me.

I would like a full refund or the item as described.

It was a plain 14k gold engagement band with no engravings or patterns anywhere."

Any advice on how to win this, because I have proof that he lied, everything.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

virtual items are non-refundable

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Provide every single detail that you can to PayPal, cut your losses if they don't agree with you. PayPal doesn't get enough credit for the times that they do an excellent job of mediating. They do, however, frequently disagree with your logic and whether right or wrong they tend to stand by what they decide. That's my experience anyway.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: virtual items are non-refundable

Not sure why he called it a virtual item anyway, especially if it's a ring.

• DataFrogsDataFrogs Banned
    edited November 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost @jarland I sent a message in dispute showing SS of him lying, however I doubt that will help.

• Were you offering a 14K Gold engaement band?

• @jarland said: Not sure why he called it a virtual item anyway, especially if it's a ring.

Probably some item in WoW or so

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Probably some item in WoW or so

Does this picture ever get old?

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Probably some item in WoW or so

LOL

• @HC_Ro said: Were you offering a 14K Gold engaement band?

No, it was for a custom usergroup, forum icon, banner, psd for them which was all provided as described.

As seen in these screenshots: http://puu.sh/1sNu7
    http://puu.sh/1sNuw
    http://puu.sh/1sNuY

• Are those the screenshot's you sent to paypal?

• Refund the damn money. It is not like it cost you something to provide that usergoup.

• You will most likely lose this dispute. This reminds me of a dispute I had about 4 months back, with a server someone purchased from me for around $85/Month. I had to terminate his server as he was abusing the DC's network sending thousands of Emails/minute and they were all spam. He then raised a dispute and I ended up calling PayPal and got the money returned to my account. About a month later I get the same dispute, however, this time I was dealing with PayPal and his bank. I provided every proof I could, logs, TOS, etc.. etc and unfortunately he won because it's an "Online Good".

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This is totally confusing, if you don't offer a 14K Gold engagement band then you should be able to prove this and render his whole case redundant?

You should also be able to prove you provided exactly what he paid for, paypal will probably take your side if you can provide solid evidence of this as it is just a virtual service and not goods that he bought from you.

If you can prove this or did not do a good job of making it clear what he was getting then they may decide to refund him.

• @Jeffrey said: You will most likely lose this dispute. This reminds me of a dispute I had about 4 months back, with a server someone purchased from me for around $85/Month. I had to terminate his server as he was abusing the DC's network sending thousands of Emails/minute and they were all spam. He then raised a dispute and I ended up calling PayPal and got the money returned to my account. About a month later I get the same dispute, however, this time I was dealing with PayPal and his bank. I provided every proof I could, logs, TOS, etc.. etc and unfortunately he won because it's an "Online Good".

Did you ever make any phone calls? I am not sure, but some of the disputes are automated and some are just viewed by paypal employee drones left clicking their screen every 5-20 seconds.

The virtual items "non-refundable" thing is not always true, I had cases where I got refunded plenty of times in the past, though not sure when this rule was in effect...

• How did he pay you? Do you have a site / webshop where he placed an order? Or did he just use "send money" to pay you or what?

• This guy asks for advice on everything. Next thing you know he will be asking for love life advice.
    @Spencer

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited November 2012

@jarland: Does this picture ever get old?

No. ;)

• @Nexus said: Are those the screenshot's you sent to paypal?

Yes I have sent them to PayPal.

They make no sense... sorry, you will probably loose then.

• Easiest way to win:

User signed up on our site for _____________. Before he could purchase the item he had to agree to our terms of service (Available at: yoursite.com/tos.php) - Our terms of service which he had to agree to before he could pay clearly state "Absolutely no refunds." In addition to that this user appears to be lieing to you about _________, we sold him a ___________. Here is a copy of his invoice linktoinvoice and here is his IP, address and name for proof of payment.

--
    Works 100% of the time. We've even had it work on payments where the person claimed fraud. Why? Because the IP proves its them and they had to agree to purchase it...

• Why a engagement band?

Go for something smaller like a pocket lamp =)

• @BlueVM said: Easiest way to win:

User signed up on our site for _____________. Before he could purchase the item he had to agree to our terms of service (Available at: yoursite.com/tos.php) - Our terms of service which he had to agree to before he could pay clearly state "Absolutely no refunds." In addition to that this user appears to be lieing to you about _________, we sold him a ___________. Here is a copy of his invoice linktoinvoice and here is his IP, address and name for proof of payment.

--

Works 100% of the time. We've even had it work on payments where the person claimed fraud. Why? Because the IP proves its them and they had to agree to purchase it...

Yes BlueVM, I've contacted paypal directly via phone, escalated his dispute to a claim and provided IP logs, skype logs, more.

@HC_Ro said: Why a engagement band?

Go for something smaller like a pocket lamp =)

Read OP, never sold him one.

• Dragoon0309Dragoon0309 Member
    edited November 2012

Skype logs mean nothing, you need to have terms, proof he agreed to them, an invoice with an accurate description of what you sold and on what terms.

It sounds to me like you happen to have his IP and have some skype logs, I do not like your chances.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

AHAHAHAHA.

rubs hands together

Gather around uncle Fran for a story children, you're going to love it.

The OP didn't get the chargeback because of a physical item, he got charged back because he's trying to scam this fellow - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1211281

What happened was he was originally with @dotvps for our filtering. Jack didn't want to deal with him anymore and offloaded the guy right to us. The fellow signed up and after some minor rule adjustments was getting his filtering. He later on started provoking and and flat out asking for DDoS attacks (log proof on the 2nd page of the WHT thread).

Our filtering doesn't handle layer 7 attacks yet but we do have adjustments we've put in for some people ( FYI, http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6134/a-simple-solution-using-nginx-to-heal-from-attacks-with-rudy#Item_7 - I wrote this but it's likely pointless now since the RUDY kids will just forge things to appear as it's coming from google.com).

Anyways, After about 4 - 5 hours of my time we had him down to about 1k - 2k pps of the flood hitting him but the above rule was clearing him out for the most part. His big complaint was that it was sipping at his 2 TB limit. Now, I had a few other tickets that needed my attention so I told him I would deal with the last of his attack later but that nginx was clearing him just fine. I was also planning to reset his transit at the end of the day back to 0 GB used to clear out said sipping (we're talking about 10GB/d in sip).

He started up a big stink about it, at which point I replied to him telling him "It's punishment for provoking the fellow and he'll be lucky if @Aldryic lets him stay with us after he reads back the IRC logs". Aldryic, always watching, chimes in and tells him he has 1 hour to pack his stuff because his VPS will be terminated in 61 minutes.

The OP begged for us to not throw him out. Aldryic offered to allow him to stay but we would bump his filtering to $50/m due to the headache he keeps putting on me. He refused so the termination occurred. The fellow also got a full refund on everything, including his filtering.

OP took a backup of the SQL DB and, until recently, refused to give it to the rightful owner. The owner of the site is trying to recoup the costs he paid him (likely $100/m to find bitchin' filtering).

Please, just ignore the OP.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: The OP didn't get the chargeback because of a physical item, he got charged back because he's trying to scam this fellow - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1211281

He is my partner... l2 read.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DataFrogs said: He is my partner... l2 read.

He claims just a sysadmin in his PM's to me on WHT :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said: He claims just a sysadmin in his PM's to me on WHT :)

Francisco

I am, got a problem with it?

• @Francisco said: OP took a backup of the SQL DB and, until recently, refused to give it to the rightful owner. The owner of the site is trying to recoup the costs he paid him (likely $100/m to find bitchin' filtering).

When ever you want to stop lying, let me know.

• @Zen said: You're just another kid trying to act like he knows anything, you are far from it.

Francisco isn't lying. I was sat watching this whole thing go down last night.. was fun.

iHydra is lying imo, however he can say what he wants.

• @Francisco said: uncle Fran

The creepy kind?