Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus

124»

Comments

• TLDR; centralisation vs. decentralisation, pros and cons?

• @ricardo said:
    TLDR; centralisation vs. decentralisation, pros and cons?

Internet vs AOL, case closed :)

• :)

I trust the authority of certificate authorities, Spamhaus not so much. Same with Google. damn them and their arbitrary rules!

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@ricardo said:
    I trust the authority of certificate authorities

This video you'll enjoy to watch (the guy who wrote sslsniff is the speaker): ;)

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • I'm listening to it in the background. Do you think you're kim kardashian, with this kind of breaking the internet chatter :)

I'd suppose that their authority is something you don't really get a choice over.

• deadbeef said: I don't mail and you just hate the internet.

You pick and choose then throw fallacies like crazy.

• @doughmanes said:

Looks like every Dick and Harry now has heard of the word fallacy. How lucky I am to be chatting with so may professors of Formal Logic.

• @ricardo said:
    I'm listening to it in the background. Do you think you're kim kardashian, with this kind of breaking the internet chatter :)

Sorry, I don't get the Kim reference, me not being an American and interested in them :)

I'd suppose that their authority is something you don't really get a choice over.

You simply assume them as broken by design. We don't do anything about it because we don't really care.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 2015

She claimed she could break the internet with a photo of her arse.

broken by design

Back to the whole centralisation vs decentralisation. Are you aware of alternatives? (I'm in the middle of hearing the DNS solution on that video)

My original point was that Spamhaus is simply an opinion but used as an authority.

Thanked by 2aglodek deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@ricardo said:
    Back to the whole centralisation vs decentralisation. Are you aware of alternatives?

You mean alternatives to centralization and decentralization? Sure, there' s the so called "third road" which is the politically correct equivalent of "you're not gay if you're only getting it in the ass 3 times a week". :)

• I prefer the blackhatter's suggestion.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited September 2015

Congratulations jbiloh on the delisting, finally!

Will the rate limiting crap be removed anytime soon? :(

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Congratulations jbiloh on the delisting, finally!

Will the rate limiting crap be removed anytime soon? :(

We are evaluating a modification to the network defense system that would include raising some thresholds.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

When I opened this thread on August 7th Softlayer had 221 listings.

Today, September 6th, they now have over 550 listings.

I wonder what is going on there... http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/softlayer.com

• aglodek said: This is about your basic freedoms. Like freedom of correspondence. Freedom from your life and business, or your clients' business, being impacted by borderline illegal activities of third parties you have no relation with.

The flip side of this is, on the receiving end of an exercise of these "freedoms", shouldn't I also have the freedom to filter based on a blocklist and algorithms that I trust? From my end of things, I'm not really concerned about a legit e-mail or two being dropped from my Inbox due to Spamhaus. It's much more important that I not get 100k spam messages a day. Because then I'd have to give up e-mail entirely as not worth the effort, dropping all legit e-mail at the same time as spam.

I trust gmail, and gmail trusts Spamhaus. If you're blocked from delivering mail to me because of this, you're outside my scope of trust, and I'm choosing not to be able to receive e-mail from you, even if legit, because your e-mail is indiscriminable from spam by the tools available to me. Surely that's also an exercise of basic freedoms you can respect, even if you don't always agree with the policies of Spamhaus.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

singsing said: I trust gmail, and gmail trusts Spamhaus. If you're blocked from delivering mail to me because of this, you're outside my scope of trust, and I'm choosing not to be able to receive e-mail from you, even if legit, because your e-mail is indiscriminable from spam by the tools available to me. Surely that's also an exercise of basic freedoms you can respect, even if you don't always agree with the policies of Spamhaus.

Good on you, just don't blame the sender for being listed on so and so blocklist.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @singsing said: I trust gmail, and gmail trusts Spamhaus. If you're blocked from delivering mail to me because of this, you're outside my scope of trust, and I'm choosing not to be able to receive e-mail from you, even if legit, because your e-mail is indiscriminable from spam by the tools available to me.

As it happens, in my particular case, it's more like "if you are blocked from RECEIVING email from me" case ;) When members of a Chamber of Commerce I head complained that email with info they requested was not reaching them, I directed them to have a chat with their providers and review their anti-spam policies. I drafted a form letter explaining how Spamhaus works, indiscriminately listing whole IP ranges. And, hey, what do you know, a few people stopped using Spamhaus lists. Now, how's that for public service! ;)

Surely that's also an exercise of basic freedoms you can respect, even if you don't always agree with the policies of Spamhaus.

Absolutely! It's your call, man :)

From my end of things, I'm not really concerned about a legit e-mail or two being dropped from my Inbox due to Spamhaus. It's much more important that I not get 100k spam messages a day.

I couldn't disagree with you more here! This said, I understand where you're coming from and respect and take no issue with your point of view whatsoever. It's your right to isolate yourself from all incoming email, be it spam, or messages important to you ;) My beef is with that arrogant bastard running Spamhaus, who, by proxy to be sure, but effectively blocks legitimate information from reaching people, who need it. People who, for the most part, don't run their MX's themselves and had never even heard of Spamhaus or its blocklists! And the arrogance of that bastard is overwhelming. First he blacklists you and then tells you not to bother contacting him, ever. He knows very well what he's about and you're not the party he wants to sink his teeth into!

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @jbiloh 3 listings in last 2 das + a /24 from last month. Any action?

• The alternative to black or white is not grey. It's colour.