Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus

Comments

• @William Ok, now this explains that @jbiloh indeed receiving abuse reports from spamhaus.

Regarding BS if you've explained that in first place it would be much better to understand.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

William my remark was intended to convey that spamhaus does not contact you in advance (I was responding to someone who asked if they contact in advance). Isn't it common knowledge that their system sends an automated email after the fact?

@kcaj said:
    Regardless of whether you're now making efforts to clean up your own act or not.. you've got to be out of your fucking mind if you think you're in any sort of position to be tossing furniture at others.

I certainly don't throw stones. Simply pointing out the huge amount of listings on well known, North American based operators.

• @jbiloh said:
    William my remark was intended to convey that spamhaus does not contact you in advance (I was responding to someone who asked if they contact in advance). Isn't it common knowledge that their system sends an automated email after the fact?

your really boring

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited August 2015

jbiloh said: I certainly don't throw stones. Simply pointing out the huge amount of listings on well known, North American based operators.

You're off your tits.

EDIT: The biggest listing I see for SoftLayer is a /27, so 32 * 221 = 7072 IPs.

Whereas you still have an entire /15 listed here, that's 128k IPs.

Those who live in glass houses..

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • UrDNUrDN Member

William said: Bullshit, and you know that very well. Spamhaus sends mails to the abuse-c as with the RIR where the IPs are from (so either the customer or the DC) and, if known, also to the ASNs abuse contact - Before escalation they always send it to the ASN as well and on escalation often to the upstreams.

No that's wrong, they don't always do that and when they do it's to invite you to visit their dirty website. Spamhaus has zero neutrality and no automation, it's fully manual. I can tell you that when they want to suppress information and bad press they can add your network in their blacklists as well as all your peers networks without providing them any information. They do that a lot to networks which are reluctant to their operations and which have no chance to sue them.

Spamhaus is only about finding tricks to get customers through deception as well as trying to get the sympathy of the authorities to pretend being clean and avoid fraud suspicions.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2015

I have 3 IPs within the 23.95.10.* range :/

Thanked by 1netomx
  • UrDN said: Spamhaus is only about finding tricks to get customers through deception as well as trying to get the sympathy of the authorities to pretend being clean and avoid fraud suspicions.

Only?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

UrDN said: Spamhaus is only about finding tricks to get customers through deception as well as trying to get the sympathy of the authorities to pretend being clean and avoid fraud suspicions.

u butthurt much? You have any proof for your allegations at all? It's also not fraud as Spamhaus does not defraud anyone (which would require loss for you AND clear profit for them, not second hand) - If someone declines your mail because of Spamhaus (or depeers you) it simply is not fraud by the law (neither in Switzerland nor in any other country).

As i said, even criminal hosts - and we/they were by no doubt one of the most criminal on the planet, i gladly admit that after being acquitted - got all notifications from Spamhaus, started from a single /32 (v4) up to our entire /17 (v4, plus the company ASN, plus our /29 IPv6) when we ignored them for a month. We never reacted and our upstream, like most in eastern europe, did not care so there was exactly zero loss in any way by the listings. If you don't like Spamhaus (and i by no means do) and your upstream depeers you/forces you to react what do you do, whine on LET/WHT? Better cancel your transit contract and contract with someone that does not care, upstreams like that are PLENTY (Rostelecom, Retn, UARNet, Ukrtelecom.... and even some Tier1s like TATA and Cogent).

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Spamhaus does not contact us. They used to though, until they started listing /23s because we are spammer heaven. Of course, only spamhaus was listing and it was easy to point it out to yahoo, for example, and after a while they removed the listing, but no longer sending reports. Since we are spammer heaven, it makes sense, why waste bw on that since we do not cooperate anyway.

• Spamhaus has become extremely aggressive over the past few months. If you deal with them on a day to day basis, you'll understand what I'm talking about. They're miserable to work with, leave listings for days/weeks without response but immediately want things done, and their "volunteers" have condescending attitudes. Oh right, they sell their SBL product to corporations and use "volunteers" for their efforts which are just as bad as spammers.

Steve Linford is cruising around on his yacht raking max profits using "volunteers"

• UrDNUrDN Member

William said: u butthurt much? You have any proof for your allegations at all? It's also not fraud as Spamhaus does not defraud anyone (which would require loss for you AND clear profit for them, not second hand) - If someone declines your mail because of Spamhaus (or depeers you) it simply is not fraud by the law (neither in Switzerland nor in any other country).

There are numerous clues of spamhaus being a money laundering scam, we helped people to publish some of them, http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/29055/spamhaus-tax-evasion-shell-companies-extortion-strategies-blackmail-and-much-much-more/p1

How could someone still dare to say that there's nothing that seems shady after reading this?

And it's not about us, I don't care about spamhaus. I have seen them attacking others through their blackmail techniques and coercive tricks. The only thing I knew about them before is that it's a dnsbl provider, I have never used such crap, I knew that these are totally useless against spam, I also remembered that the operators of those lists had extremely bad reputation back in time and that there's no reason for spamhaus to be different.

This was confirmed when they started to list our entire network simply because they wanted to shutdown a site that contained a lot of information about them, it was just a forum. When they did that I immediately understood that spamhaus is a fraud and that some of the information posted on that site might be very disturbing. They also used the opportunity of a DDoS attack to pretend that it sourced entirely from the members of that forum while I knew that the attack was performed by a teenager script-kiddie from the UK. Simply because of that they succeeded to cause the arrest of a network operator in Spain before he was released a few weeks later without any charge.

And when the troubles for them will really arrive I will be there to provide all the information we have.

William said: Better cancel your transit contract and contract with someone that does not care, upstreams like that are PLENTY (Rostelecom, Retn, UARNet, Ukrtelecom.... and even some Tier1s like TATA and Cogent).

Cogent, ha ha ha ha.

You obviously don't know enough about spamhaus, the usual.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@UrDN said:
    Simply because of that they succeeded to cause the arrest of a network operator in Spain before he was released a few weeks later without any charge.

Who?

• UrDN said: How could someone still dare to say that there's nothing that seems shady after reading this?

Spamhaus, as a condition of delisting, will try to pressure you to violate your own privacy policy by trolling for some kind of personally identifiable information about the cause of the SBL. Sometimes it's a reseller operation, sometimes its a shady reseller, and sometimes its an outright group of spammers but when Spamhaus states a provider is a "haven for spammers" it actually means "we didn't get the information we tried to extort from the provider"

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited August 2015

doughmanes said: Spamhaus, as a condition of delisting, will try to pressure you to violate your own privacy policy by trolling for some kind of personally identifiable information about the cause of the SBL. Sometimes it's a reseller operation, sometimes its a shady reseller, and sometimes its an outright group of spammers but when Spamhaus states a provider is a "haven for spammers" it actually means "we didn't get the information we tried to extort from the provider"

Oh yes, absolutely. They want to create "an entry in their database" for you. Thank you very much for reminding me this, I have email archive with this operation which I think I could publish soon.

Nyr said: Who?

The cyberbunker guy. It used to be known for the hosting of thepiratebay.org

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • mpkossen said: Using slang while representing your business means you don't understand business.

Location, location, location.

Or, in the non-real-estate world.

Context, context, context.

• UrDN said: Thank you very much for reminding me this, I have email archive with this operation which I think I could publish soon.

I've had Natalie (Nat-a-LIE) basically say "we're not removing this SBL until you tell us who this is"

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@UrDN said:
    The cyberbunker guy. It used to be known for the hosting of thepiratebay.org

Oh, yes, many criminals come here. I was thinking it was maybe a Spanish guy.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2015

UrDN said: Cogent, ha ha ha ha.
    You obviously don't know enough about spamhaus, the usual.

Cogent ignores Spamhaus requests, my current workplace is a Cogent customer (in FFM/DE, besides Rostelecom, Anders and DECIX, each at 10GE backhauled to Kiev) and has currently a /24 of a customer listed (which we work on getting removed). Cogent forwarded the email and required neither reply nor any reaction.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @Lee said:
    You're

Dude, it was British slang! Don't you understand British slang? You must be stupid!

Thanked by 1perennate
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited August 2015

William said: Cogent ignores Spamhaus requests, my current workplace is a Cogent customer (in FFM/DE, besides Rostelecom, Anders and DECIX, each at 10GE backhauled to Kiev) and has currently a /24 of a customer listed (which we work on getting removed). Cogent forwarded the email and required neither reply nor any reaction.

It seems that you did not get the thing, spamhaus has blacklisted the end user, not cogent. When spamhaus will blacklist cogent's network then cogent will drop their customer. Cogent sucks for many other reasons anyway.

If spamhaus wants an upstream to disconnect its peer it will start to blacklist the IP used by the upstream for email. If that's not sufficient spamhaus will try to figure out IP prefixes which are used by the upstream customers for email and will then add them to the blacklist so that customers of cogent will complain and sometimes even threaten to sue.

Here we call that extortion and blackmail.

All smart enough network operators know that spamhaus is bullcrap and simply ignore their requests, this is why then spamhaus revenge with this blackmail operation after which they attempt to terrorize the NOC to make them systematically comply with their further demands.

• They never answered my removal request that I sent around a year ago. Spamhaus should add themselves into the database.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • UrDN said: Here we call that extortion and blackmail.

I have a new case of Spamhaus' blackmail and extortion where they profit. It's absolutely disgusting. I'm getting details but this may could be what breaks the love for Spamhaus when we all known they're a mafia.

Thanked by 1aglodek

Software now has 471 listings... Wow.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

jbiloh said: Software now has 471 listings... Wow.

a) it's softlayer not software

b) what is your point? Why is 471 surprising?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

UrDN said: It seems that you did not get the thing, spamhaus has blacklisted the end user, not cogent. When spamhaus will blacklist cogent's network then cogent will drop their customer. Cogent sucks for many other reasons anyway.

Not true. Our /31 with Cogent is currently SBLd as well - They don't give any shit. Our Anders and Rostelecom links were listed as well (a /32 and a /27 respectively) - Neither cared or depeered us.

Thanked by 1J1021

@perennate said:
    b) what is your point? Why is 471 surprising?

Autocorrect, Whoops :) :)

And 471 is the highest number I've seen yet for individual listings. I thought it was quite notable.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2015

jbiloh said: And 471 is the highest number I've seen yet for individual listings. I thought it was quite notable.

I guess I'm curious what you think of Spamhaus/SoftLayer.

But the listings are all for relatively small ranges, in total about 20K IP addresses, maybe SpamHaus doesn't want to risk its reputation by listing larger ranges given that there are large companies using SoftLayer.

Edit: also just saw this from 2007: http://blog.softlayer.com/2007/spammers-beware-were-on-guard