Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I believe Spamhaus has a purpose and a role to play on the modern Internet. Do I think their methods are perfect? Of course not. But overall I think they do an ok job.

As for my opinion of Softlayer I've never been a customer so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment. Even if I had experience to draw from however I would avoid offering comments out of professional respect.

Thanked by 2perennate Pwner
  • jbiloh said: I believe Spamhaus has a purpose and a role to play on the modern Internet. Do I think their methods are perfect? Of course not. But overall I think they do an ok job.

No, they suck. I just read a complaint post about DENIC and nic.at . Who is going to tell them that botnets use Tor or other decentralized networks these days? Will they threaten to put every provider that hosts Tor relays on thier list?

The top 10 list is at least partially bullshit. Guess what: Many customers, many abusers.

OVH has VAC now, but when the spammers user transport encryption, OVH can't scan them...

4n0nx said: OVH has VAC now, but when the spammers user transport encryption, OVH can't scan them...

Stopping poor quality email flows can be very challenging indeed.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2015

William said: Not true. Our /31 with Cogent is currently SBLd as wel

pfff, /31... As I said you're far from having experienced what those scums can do.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

UrDN said: pfff, /31... As I said you're far from having experienced what those scums can do.

What else should they list, Cogents /8? The /23 used for Cogent interconnects in Frankfurt? Random IPs from Cogent used for their email like with nic.at? Sure, they do that, and it's clearly wrong - But i have not seen any case like this after nic.at.

We'll see about that - For now they decline to delist our customers /24 (They want to have RIPE request the delist...), but neither him nor we give any shit about that. Listing the upstream /31 makes no difference, and listing our own IP space won't matter either (as our mail is external and no customer would use that dirty ex-RBN space for legit mail anyway). No pressure from Spamhaus will stop us (i'm far more worried about some grenade hitting the DC in Kharkiv or Kiev cutting power/fiber) :)

Thanked by 2AuroraZ J1021
  • So, spamhaus sends unsolicited non opt-in automated emails? :D

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • William said: But i have not seen any case like this after nic.at.

Yes, YOU haven't seen, it's not because you haven't seen it that it does not happen, if you would search more you would easily find that it's very usual.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

UrDN said: Yes, YOU haven't seen, it's not because you haven't seen it that it does not happen, if you would search more you would easily find that it's very usual.

links? SBL ID#'s? I can't find anything like that currently, though that does not mean much as Spamhaus is not really searchable...

Thanked by 1J1021
  • William said: links? SBL ID#'s? I can't find anything like that currently, though that does not mean much as Spamhaus is not really searchable...

http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/retn.net
    http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/beeline.ru

• Thats a bunch of subnets allocated to ReTN, yea, but by far not all of them not including the MX of ReTN.net and alike.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2015

@William said:
    Thats a bunch of subnets allocated to ReTN, yea, but by far not all of them not including the MX of ReTN.net and alike.

You're funny. They even list the IPv6 IP of the mail server, http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL258218

And for Beeline, http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL261741

You seem to be knowledgeable but you should be more careful before making foregone conclusions all the time.

Those spamhaus operations are far from being the worst they do, this organization is a total scam with absolutely nothing legit and what you see there is nothing compared to what lies in the background.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

UrDN said: You're funny. They even list the IPv6 IP of the mail server, http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL258218

MX does not point there (anymore). (EDIT: Google has it)

The /21 the MX points to is listed as well - But again, as i said before, ReTNs upstreams - which includes my mentioned Cogent - do not give a single shit about it.

Spamhaus lost a lot of trust, which is certainly pretty good considering their history - again, i am in no way an advocate of them in any way.

Thanked by 2J1021 doughmanes
  • William said: No they don't - MX does not point there.

Woah...

dig AAAA ficus.retn.net +short ~
    2a02:2d8:0:8ff:731e::1

• yea, fixed, my DNS resolver gave me no IPv6 back at all.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @William said:
    yea, fixed, my DNS resolver gave me no IPv6 back at all.

Now that you have fixed your DNS, you can crawl the spamhaus blacklist and also monitor it to notice that it's a common extortion practice.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

Again, quote me where i said that it was not? The only thing i said - and this has been proven - is that our upstreams, Cogent, Rostelecom and ReTN in this case, do not give any single shit about any Spamhaus listings.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @William said:
    Again, quote me where i said that it was not? The only thing i said - and this has been proven - is that our upstreams, Cogent, Rostelecom and ReTN in this case, do not give any single shit about Spamhaus listings.

It was about their process, you said they don't do that but they do.

I don't see anything related to you in spamhaus' blacklist. I am also surprised that you have service from Rostelecom.

ReTN might not disconnect you but Cogent will do for sure especially if you're not an American customer.

• I'm honestly wondering if Spamhaus' control could be knocked down a few notches if their extortion practices were exposed to a US regulatory agency where their services are used by US hosting providers, which gets yanked. Scamhouse has too much power.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2015

@jbiloh said: I believe Spamhaus has a purpose and a role to play on the modern Internet. Do I think their methods are perfect? Of course not. But overall I think they do an ok job.

If you say so ;) Spamhaus did "persuade" me to cancel my and a client's boxes with ChicagoVPS when neither Chris nor you had been able to resolve your indiscriminately blacklisted /17 or /18 issue with Spamhaus for weeks on end. My only regret is that I waited for you to resolve the problem. Big mistake. Today, I have no issues with CC. And don't want any. Hence, ever since that mess last year, I make sure never, ever to use or recommend any provider using your DC's. Your comment above clearly shows you still don't get it, or just don't care, about the damage Spamhaus does to your downstream clients (of whom I had been one for many happy years until that fiasco). Duly noted :)

@doughmanes said: I'm honestly wondering if Spamhaus' control could be knocked down a few notches if their extortion practices were exposed to a US regulatory agency where their services are used by US hosting providers, which gets yanked. Scamhouse has too much power.

Nah, too much bother and negligible chance of success. But the arrogant way that Spamhaus bastard operates, and the dangerous world we live in, he's destined to step on some toes that will kick back :)

aglodek said: If you say so ;) Spamhaus did "persuade" me to cancel my and a client's boxes with ChicagoVPS when neither Chris nor you had been able to resolve your indiscriminately blacklisted /17 or /18 issue with Spamhaus for weeks on end. My only regret is that I waited for you to resolve the problem. Big mistake. Today, I have no issues with CC. And don't want any. Hence, ever since that mess last year, I make sure never, ever to use or recommend any provider using your DC's. Your comment above clearly shows you still don't get it, or just don't care, about the damage Spamhaus does to your downstream clients (of whom I had been one for many happy years until that fiasco). Duly noted :)

We are very sensitive to the frustrations Spamhaus can cause to legitimate users unable to reach certain ISPs via mail. That's why a few months ago we installed an outbound spam filtering system which resolved the issues and as a result spamhaus removed all of our large blocks from their list. As you can see, we're now very clean on Spamhaus: http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/velocity-servers.net

I regret to hear that you were impacted by the listings in the past. If you wish to consider using our service again, perhaps at Hudson Valley Host, I'll make sure we give you a significant discount to make up for the past.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @jbiloh said:

Er, pardon my rant above. Not enough sleep recently ;) Should have realized from your post I criticized (sorry), that like all providers, especially upstream ones, you have to play nice with Spamhaus. Especially now, once you've reached some kind of accomodation and can go about your business unmolested, it seems. Good job (seriously). There is no upside alienating that bastard and guaranteed pain on the downside, as he clearly demonstrates to all and sundry often enough.

Thanks for your generous offer. I'm very happy with my current provider, but I have a new project in the works and will be happy to take you up on that (will PM).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @jbiloh said:

Finally got rid of that /15 listing. Thank God.

@aglodek said:
    Thanks for your generous offer. I'm very happy with my current provider, but I have a new project in the works and will be happy to take you up on that (will PM).

No problem but keep us on mind.

@TropiThomas said:
    Finally got rid of that /15 listing. Thank God.

Yes sir! :)

Thanked by 228Tom aglodek
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Spamhaus have always smelt phishy (haha get it pun) to me and they have filtered me for getting a small setting (rdns) wrong.

Never liked them, never will - but need to make sure they work for my mail :<

• What's all this drama about Spamhaus blocklists anyways? Why can't y'all just pipe your legit e-mail needs into SendGrid? If sending your e-mail isn't worth $0.00025 to you, then that is spam by any definition.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @singsing said: What's all this drama about Spamhaus blocklists anyways? Why can't y'all just pipe your legit e-mail needs into SendGrid? If sending your e-mail isn't worth $0.00025 to you, then that is spam by any definition.

Oh my... opening this can of worms now, are we? I don't even know where to begin…

Seems you're a bit late to this party, friend. This is not about spam. It's is not about the convenience of using third party services. This is about your basic freedoms. Like freedom of correspondence. Freedom from your life and business, or your clients' business, being impacted by borderline illegal activities of third parties you have no relation with. That's the drama!

• @singsing said:
    What's all this drama about Spamhaus blocklists anyways? Why can't y'all just pipe your legit e-mail needs into SendGrid? If sending your e-mail isn't worth $0.00025 to you, then that is spam by any definition.

And why do that when we can run our own SMTP? Or when everyone does this and sendgrid etc. get blocked/filtered by a major mail provider anyway.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @wych said:
    And why do that when we can run our own SMTP?

Because he said so. Low End Dictator.

• Both are excellent points.

Spammers routinely hide behind the run your own SMTP excuse among others, such as "newsletters" and "journals", when these external SMTP providers throw you out pretty quick for looking spam like even when you're testing WHMCS.

Its too easy to blast out spam running your own SMTP. However with Spamhaus shaking everybody down, I think running your own SMTP will become a harder thing to do with whitelisting required and gasp your email being scored by an internal system to justify a SMTP block.

• @doughmanes said:
    Spammers routinely hide behind the run your own SMTP excuse among others

I don't mail and you just hate the internet. Coming up next, hosting only on blogspot because they can monitor content and bring down anything some arbitrary guys don't like.

Thanked by 1aglodek