Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec network speeds - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec network speeds

Comments

• @Mods can we lock this one up?

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: can we lock this one up?

Seconded

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

GStanley said: In addition weirdness in their routing, as the Cogent route / uplink is :

12.|-- citrix-online-division.de 0.0% 5 36.7 34.2 32.2 36.7 1.6

Check the rwhois for the IP:

[Querying whois.arin.net]
    [Redirected to rwhois.cogentco.com:4321]
    [Querying rwhois.cogentco.com]
    [rwhois.cogentco.com]
    %rwhois V-1.5:0010b0:00 rwhois.cogentco.com
    network:ID:NET4-266800741E
    network:Network-Name:NET4-266800741E
    network:IP-Network:38.104.x.x/30
    network:Postal-Code:97208
    network:Country:US
    network:State:OR
    network:City:Portland
    network:Street-Address:PO Box 4120 #38186
    network:Org-Name:Delimiter LTD.
    network:Tech-Contact:ZC108-ARIN
    network:Updated:2015-07-16 21:28:56

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • TheLinuxBug said: Your argument that they have a Cogent heavy network may be the case, but they don't really have a choice here... whether they were using Cogent locally or not your traffic would end up on Cogent as Comcast drops all other peering/routes at night on purpose.

I dont see that from Level3 in Europe/Austria - Works 24x7 to Comcast.

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • @William at night within US it is quite noticeable when downloading that it auto prefers Cogent everywhere it possibly can. This will include Europe, however on occasion network which have absolutely no Cogent mix will force traffic over different peering first and in certain cases all the way through, but any chance they have, they prefer Cogent. This is one of the reasons a lot of people were complaining about Netflix being slow for a long time as they would force all traffic over Cogent also for Netflix causing things to grind to a halt we it got busy.

It ia also very likely that networks directly peering Comcast may not see this route over Cogent as they are paying for direct peering into the network (at a cost I am sure). So it may be that the euro DC your using has some direct peering somewhere in the mix. For example, I think Leaseweb peers Comcast directly in Ashburn, and others. So this could be why your seeing what your seeing.

This is just from my experience in the past with their network, by no means have I sat and watched the bgp routing tables for changes, but I have experienced exactly what I have said when using Comcast in several different states and cities.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• TheLinuxBug said: So it may be that the euro DC your using has some direct peering somewhere in the mix.

The Euro DC im using is myself - Singlehomed to Level3.

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • William said: I dont see that from Level3 in Europe/Austria - Works 24x7 to Comcast.

This. One hundred times this. I'm sorry @TheLinuxBug, but from MTR's, reverse-MTR's and a healthy dose of rviews, Comcast doesn't have a magical 'transit only' option at night. It just doesn't exist. I've been on a Comcast & TWC mix for ~9 years now.

This goes back years to the Netflix debacle which caused Netflix to purchase peering from Comcast it was so bad. Everything in the network stays the same, bug congested Cogent peering at night. If you're looking for context / a background, just check the NANOG archives regarding Comcast & Cogent.

You never see it with Level3. @William is %100 right.

• TeucrusTeucrus Member
    edited October 2015

@agoldenberg said:
    markturner I would say one place that Daventec has you beat is sales support. You need to fire that sales guy Steve.... He never answers emails and when he does the answer is a one liner with zero depth. Seems like he's complacent in his job.

This is something I can agree on. I was with delimiter some time ago. The sales departement would answer whenever they remembered. I needed some info about some servers I needed and they would respond in 10 day or never........ I was forced to make a paypal dispute and they shut my other servers (I am not blaiming them for this, as it was part of the TOS) I am just saying that the responded to that in less than 24 hours...... Too bad.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yeah I dunno where they found Steve, but he's completely useless. How hard is it to answer a few hundred emails and make sales that are begging to be customers? Give me the job and I'll handle it lol!

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited October 2015

How did this peaceful thread turn into a very harsh debate, things just got heated to fast can we get back to the actual topic though, but an interesting read indeed.

• Boom boom storage , Boom boom network

1.- I didn't understand (Some english and terms)
    2.- I love it

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • MunMun Member
    ##System Information

OS Name:  Ubuntu 15.04 (64 bit)
    Hostname:  RDP
    Public IP:  192.254.xxx.xxxx
    CPU Model:  Common KVM processor
    CPU Cores:  8 core @  2400.084 MHz
    CPU Cache:  4096 KB
    Total RAM:  3.9GB (Free 2.7GB)
    Total SWAP: 4.0GB (Free 3.9GB)
    Total Space: 102GB (10% used)
    Running for: 2days - 10hrs 26min 18sec

##CDN Speedtest
    CacheFly:  33.3MB/s
    Internode: 3.60MB/s

##North America Speedtest
    SoftLayer, Dallas, USA: 18.4MB/s
    ReliableSite, Piscataway, USA: 18.4MB/s
    OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 10.7MB/s
    Softlayer, Washington, USA: 31.1MB/s
    SoftLayer, San Jose, USA: 12.8MB/s
    Vultr, Dallas, USA: 19.1MB/s
    Vultr, New Jersey, USA: 18.5MB/s
    Vultr, Seattle, USA: 9.96MB/s

##Europe Speedtest
    RedStation, Gosport, UK: 5.05MB/s
    EDIS, Stockholm, Sweden: 2.99MB/s
    OVH, Roubaix, France: 5.63MB/s
    Prometeus, Milan, Italy: 4.98MB/s
    LeaseWeb, Frankfurt, Germany: 5.67MB/s
    Interactive3D, Amsterdam, NL: 4.43MB/s
    Vultr, London, UK: 6.94MB/s
    Vultr, Amsterdam, NL: 8.41MB/s

##Asia Speedtest
    SoftLayer, Singapore, Singapore 3.84MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, Singapore 4.65MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 5.48MB/s
    Vultr, Tokyo, Japan: 8.49MB/s

##IO Test
    I/O Speed :  317 MB/s
    I/O Direct :  516 MB/s

• srvrprosrvrpro Member
    edited October 2015

@dacentec hire me to bitch around for you guys. Your competitor clearly has an upperhand there.

GStanley said: Yomura

Here's a wiki link for Yomura, http://www.nyiix.net/yomura-holdings-joins-nyiix/
    I was surprised by the facts I read about them.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Not to go in absolutely in a different direction but @MarkTurner... from what you are saying.. your network is better but for me, it doesn't matter because once a ddos hits me, you guys will null route. Same with dacentec. Therefore, in my personal perspective, my real benefit is that with @dacentec some of the packages come with dual drives andthe price points are really good!

• edited October 2015

@MarkTurner said:

He said sales… read ..

• The only things I have ever read about Delimiter is that they take ages to deliver new servers. Then Mark always talks about a mysterious "Steve".

• @4n0nx said:
    The only things I have ever read about Delimiter is that they take ages to deliver new servers. Then Mark always talks about a mysterious "Steve".

Tried to order from Delimiter once and waited 2 months just to get a refund. ordered with Dacatec and was up and running same day.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @jmckeag12 said:
    Tried to order from Delimiter once and waited 2 months just to get a refund. ordered with Dacatec and was up and running same day.

I just don't understand why Delimiter seems to place so little value on customer service. If they paid half as much attention to that as they do to their network they could really shake up the market.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Dylan said: I just don't understand why Delimiter seems to place so little value on customer service.

I don't think that is the case. Without any question at all the sales operation is seriously lacking, but the majority of customers are lucky enough to sidestep that by going straight into an order link and ordering.

The majority (I mean that word explicitly) are online in 24 hours, generally if they take longer than that its because there is something wrong with the information provided during signup. Remember Delimiter hand-reviews every single order, if there is an inconsistency (eg fake information) that order goes straight on hold. Of course there are a few orders that drag on due to delivery issues but out of the orders with valid signup information the majority are on within no time.

The support people are highly knowledgeable, of course with the services being unmanaged, they are not going to help you configure your server, migrate your data, setup cPanel, etc but as far as ensuring your server is online and that the services you have ordered are online, they do a fantastic job and beyond reproach.

Incident and issue reporting is bullet proof, incidents are posted within 30 seconds to the client portal as well as to Twitter, Pushbullet, Pushover and Boxer. You don't find Delimiter customers waiting for hours on forums to find out why they lost network, you find the information in realtime with live updates in the network issues part of the portal.

In terms of network, we've spent an insanely large amount of money building it, starting from transmission (Alcatel 1830), optical switching (Glimmerglass IOS100), routers (Juniper MX960 / T640), core switching (Force10 E1200i) to the servers HP Proliant and HP Blades. Each site is the same, so whether you're using services in Seattle or Atlanta, its the same core infrastructure.

With this standardisation it provides a consistent ecosystem. This means server management, sparing and also customer experience is uniform. You don't have to worry that this order you'll get supermicro and the next order rackable systems, its simple 99% of servers are HP that means you know you get HP ILO, HP management and consistent NICs, RAID controllers and disks.

The big area for improvement is sales and that is slowly happening. Its not going get fixed overnight because there needs to be a lot of work on the sales systems to provide more information, better quoting/offering system and so on. But its work in progress.

Meanwhile I try to fill in the gaps on forums like this.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015

it appears dacentec just DIED again.. lost complete access and gameserver went down. also dacentec website offline

Edit: Back up 2 mins later, but just lost every single player on server! was full aswell

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

TarZZ92 said:
    it appears dacentec just DIED again.. lost complete access and gameserver went down. also dacentec website offline
    Edit: Back up 2 mins later, but just lost every single player on server! was full aswell

My Dacentec VPS was not affected by any outage. Was working on it throughout the last 3 hours. Even ssh did not drop. That must have been something isolated or at least not a problem on their entire network.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

No drop experienced on my side either for dacentec

• My ovz $10/y server was up all morning and afternoon at London time.

• MarkTurner said: Of course there are a few orders that drag on due to delivery issues

Yeah, I got to experience that. Server wasn't delivered until I contacted Mark, it was deployed in Atlanta until the other location had inventory, however I asked them months later what was happening, got ignored, even Mark ignored me in the end. My ticket never did get a response either.

I hope no other clients get that treatment..

• Rozza said: Mark ignored me in the end

Was this via a PM? I get lot of them so if I missed it I apologise. Feel free to resend and we'll pick up from there. My email address is on my profile.

• MarkTurner said: and we'll pick up from there

Not much point now, I ended up moving to another host a few weeks after that. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for you helping me actually get a server somewhere (especially since it's not even your job), but Delimiter ignoring customers is just ridiculous.

• Rozza said: Delimiter ignoring customers is just ridiculous.

I am sorry you went through that, the sales issues we're aware of and working to solve.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited October 2015

I do have to say a massive GG to @MarkTurner - thanks for being one of those providers that comes out and holds your hands up and says "Yes, we are not perfect" and then says how you are getting better.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner Rozza
  • IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited October 2015

Sometimes you have to lose to win man at least they are working on the problems.

• MunMun Member

First off I am with both companies. Both are great companies, and both have good networks. Yes Dacentec has had a few blips, but otherwise my servers have great connectivity. Even in many cases rivaling my Fiberhub servers that are closer to me.

I know @markturner says they have a great network, and I have seen that, but it isn't the best. I had better speeds going to my Catalysthost box in actuality. I don't really know what the differences between Dacentecs and Delimiters network is in a real world usage however, as I only use Delimiter for backup space.

In the end, I think both companies do a great job, and I love all my servers with both companies.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner