Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec network speeds - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec network speeds

Comments

• MarkTurner said: The results in this thread alone show Delimiter's network outperforms yours by a significant magnitude.

care to give a test ip/test file from within your network

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

TarZZ92 said: care to give a test ip/test file from within your network

Do you have some 3rd party reporting like http://stats.dacentec.com?

• Both Dacentec & Delimiter have been great to me. Delimiter slaughters every other budget provider for network though. As Nyr said, different offers, nothing to hate over - but @MarkTurner is right about he network being the difference.

Download test (that doesn't really mean much, but you can see the difference):

Delimiter ATL:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5450  @ 3.00GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  2999.967 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 32170 MB
    Total amount of swap : 19311 MB
    System uptime :   17 days, 15:53,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 107MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 66.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 45.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 13.5MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.5MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 94.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.16MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 22.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 20.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 6.64MB/s
    I/O speed :  97.8 MB/s

Dacentec:

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5420  @ 2.50GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  2499.944 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 16043 MB
    Total amount of swap : 3810 MB
    System uptime :   50 days, 10:29,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 96.6MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 14.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 22.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.05MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 10.1MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.25MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.09MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 21.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.4MB/s
    I/O speed :  76.7 MB/s
    Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2015

@dacentec - Those pingdom pages don't give much data.

This is Wormly 10 second resolution monitoring for a ftp server in Atlanta:

Downtime was where were the FTP daemon was restarted in the majority of cases.

• mikeyur said: Delimiter slaughters every other budget provider for network though

Thank you :)

• Someone seems to be envious :) Very unprofessional for a host to spam his biggest competitor's thread...

• @Butters - LOL, if you go back to page 1, you'll see how this started. Someone asked the question compare Delimiter/Dacentec and its descended thereafter.

• edited July 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Butters - LOL, if you go back to page 1, you'll see how this started. Someone asked the question compare Delimiter/Dacentec and its descended thereafter.

Who?

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2015

You asked the question and I responded saying that Delimiter had a better network and Dacentec had more included storage. Simple non-aggressive statement of fact.

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • I've had servers with both. I prefer Dacentec. Why? In addition to support, they've been adding providers like Level3.

Also because Yomura, LTT, Delimiter, and whatever other companies stink to high heaven. No real idea "who is behind" the companies. There are entire threads wondering who exactly this company is, their actual location (Germany, UK, US?)

In addition weirdness in their routing, as the Cogent route / uplink is :

12.|-- citrix-online-division.de 0.0% 5 36.7 34.2 32.2 36.7 1.6

If I had to trust who would be around in five years, I'd choose Dacentec.

Something that doesn't smell right usually isn't. Not to mention the lack of professionalism in "Mark Turner" bashing other companies because they're wrecking him.

Also, "Mark", Dacentec simply gave a better offer, they didn't 'make up for their lack of network' - Stop living on your laurels and you might sell more servers.

Thanked by 2vpsGOD srvrpro
  • GStanley said: In addition to support,

Support they definitely win on, Delimiter has a clear unmanaged policy, so unless the hardware is dead, network is dead then they won't help with configuration or management.

GStanley said: Also because Yomura, LTT, Delimiter, and whatever other companies stink to high heaven. No real idea "who is

Thats been hashed for years, D&B can help you with that information

GStanley said: In addition weirdness in their routing, as the Cogent route / uplink is :

Thats just Cogent not updating their RDNS on their port interface IP.

GStanley said: If I had to trust who would be around in five years, I'd choose Dacentec.

Lets revisit this point in 5 years. Centrilogic acquired Dacentec in 2013, Yomura acquired Delimiter in 2009. Both companies are the result of acquisitions by a larger entity.

GStanley said: bashing other companies because they're wrecking him

Re-read page 1, there was a genuine question from a member here, which was answered by me in a positive way. Keep reading and see who said what.

GStanley said: Stop living on your laurels and you might sell more servers.

Selling them is not a problem, Delimiter continually has to stop its advertising to reduce demand, this is evidenced by looking at WHT or here.

If you take the time to read this thread from start to finish, you will get a better understanding about this situation arose. It certainly did not start by any disparagement on my side.

Thanked by 1GStanley
  • Well played, no rebuttal here.

• sinsin Member

Can everyone just agree that it's awesome to have both Dacentec AND Delimiter on here providing great servers at a great price? :)

• @GStanley - What is there to rebut?

You had an opinion about Dacentec's support which I agreed with.

You said Yomura stinks again your opinion but directed you to an independent information source.

You made a statement about Cogent's RDNS and that its weird that Cogent didn't bother updating their RDNS on an interface. Not weird just typical Cogent.

Then another opinion that Dacentec will be around 5 years from now and Delimiter wont - again opinion. We'll have to wait to see on that one.

Then some allegation that I was bashing other companies and I redirected you to read the REAL flow of this thread. You've obviously not done that yet.

And then some sales tips.

What am I missing?

Re-read the thread

• sin said: Can everyone just agree that it's awesome to have both Dacentec AND Delimiter on here providing great servers at a great price? :)

I quote my comment from the first page:

XxNisseGamerxX - thats depends on use. Dacentec give more disk (2x2TB vs 500GB), Delimiter has better connectivity and better location.

>

Also Delimiter gives you dedicated IPMI/KVM 24x7 rather than on demand (I know thats ironic considering your Java issues). For customers using management tools thats a bonus because they use various ILO tools to reboot their servers, pull management logs, etc

I stated both companies strengths. You have to choose which one you want because you can't have both.

• @MarkTurner said:
    GStanley - What is there to rebut?

You had an opinion about Dacentec's support which I agreed with.

You said Yomura stinks again your opinion but directed you to an independent information source.

I accepeted your answers, and that was it. If you want to continue, let's go.

Why does LTT.com have nothing but a public_html page since 2013 ? Seems like a weird domain to sit on. Also feel free to screenshot and let us know the D&B information as everything public = goes back to a shady incorporation house usually in the EU.

The entire reason you're in this thread is you're angry that Dacentec has blown Delimiter away in what used to be budget providers. You could've accepted my 'no rebuttal here' - as I had none, but you're still in defense mode.

I'm personally not happy with your Cogent heavy network as you get sub 1000K speeds to anything Comcast at night, or TWC. MTR if you need to figure that out. East coast and west coast, it's shit from 9PM - 12AM EST.

CentriLogic isn't a hidden veiled company out of god knows where. I think you and your companies make ColoCrossing look legitimate in terms of shadiness, in pure lack of details. I'll be the first to say I'm wrong if you and your boiler room of buisnesses are here in 5 years.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@markturner I would say one place that Daventec has you beat is sales support. You need to fire that sales guy Steve.... He never answers emails and when he does the answer is a one liner with zero depth. Seems like he's complacent in his job.

• GStanley said: Why does LTT.com have nothing but a public_html page since 2013 ?

You should ask them, I do not work for them.

GStanley said: you're angry that Dacentec has blown Delimiter away i

Absolutely incorrect, we had about 50-60 customers churn when their 2x2TB offer came out and got about about a quarter of them. So in terms of dedicated servers in Atlanta that equates to around 1-1.5% churn. Its insignificant.

Without question the attraction of 4TB of storage for the same price as 500GB is fantastic, but Delimiter was giving 16GB RAM, Dual processors, higher speed network so unless you were looking a storage server, then it wasn't attractive. Most of our customers are running apps and so they need lower latency, higher performance and if they need more storage they either buy extra disk(s) or use shared storage like our NFS, ISCSI or object storage.

GStanley said: I'm personally not happy with your Cogent heavy network

Thats a strange statement, I'd say XO heavy not Cogent heavy. Looking at traffic stats, we have about 50% over XO, 30% TimeWarner, 20% Cogent.

Critically customers who report networks issues get promptly addressed and we investigate routing issues with them. We continually refine routes for optimal inbound and outbound paths. If you were a customer of Delimiter and you experience performance issues, then you find that we'll work to optimise to the best route we can find. Plenty of people here on LET have gone down this road.

Again read this thread and you'll see that Delimiter is outperforming Dacentec consistently on network performance and latency. These are not my words but customers of both companies.

You can have your conspiracy theories on Delimiter and so on, thats your right. There is a fantastic selection on here, WHT and VPSBoard. You can see people back in the late 2000's saying this time next year Delimiter/Yomura will be dead, but we're still here and still growing and still profitable.

Even in 2013 when I posted the first offer on here, everyone was out with their theories that we'd be dead in 3 months, thats nearly 2 years later. I think we're long past the point where that suggestion carries any credence.

PM me your email and we'll set a date 5 years from now and we'll see whether Delimiter/Yomura is still alive, if it is the drinks are on you, if they're dead the drinks are on me. Neither of us can predict the future so we just need to wait until 24th July 2020.

• agoldenberg said: I would say one place that Daventec has you beat is sales support.

And I would COMPLETELY agree with you! I'd also say that Dacentec's support is more helpful than Delimiter. Delimiter's support is unmanaged so if you want someone to help you configure your server they'll say 'no can do'.

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2015

GStanley said: I'm personally not happy with your Cogent heavy network as you get sub 1000K speeds to anything Comcast at night, or TWC. MTR if you need to figure that out. East coast and west coast, it's shit from 9PM - 12AM EST.

This is entirely Comcast/TWC's fault (100%). They purposely choose to disable Tier 1 providers in their mix at night (generally after 6:00 pm). They are the ones forcing all data to transit their entirely over saturated Cogent uplink, not Delimiter, Dacentec or any data centers fault they have chosen to do this to their customers. This has also been ongoing for YEARS from them because they enjoy making the extra money off providing shitty connectivity at night and not having to pay their Tier 1's for expensive bandwidth.

Your argument that they have a Cogent heavy network may be the case, but they don't really have a choice here... whether they were using Cogent locally or not your traffic would end up on Cogent as Comcast drops all other peering/routes at night on purpose. So really, them having a direct connection to Cogent is likely helping you get the most out of what you can get, at least the traffic is direct over the network instead of having to go over Level3/GTT/He back to Cogent to get to you.

The rest of this I don't really care about, but I just wanted to set you straight on the Comcast/TWC Cogent situation as this is not the fault of the DC but of the cable companies and how they have chosen to route their networks.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm just tired of Mark talking about Delimiter as "they", then later he writes "we", what the hell is your position @ Delimiter?

Clarify this, please.

Also, it's pretty bad for your image to bash Dacentec's network and advertising here your own offers (the post was reported, tho, did it disappear?)

I'd rather signup with Dacentec's, as they're quite nice, humble and honest.

Thanked by 2geekalot srvrpro
  • GStanley said: I'm personally not happy with your Cogent heavy network as you get sub 1000K speeds to anything Comcast at night, or TWC. MTR if you need to figure that out. East coast and west coast, it's shit from 9PM - 12AM EST.

Just an FYI, our outbound route selection is setup like this:

8.8.8.0/24 *[BGP/170] 49w2d 17:48:40, MED 2, localpref 125
    AS path: 2828 15169 I to X.X.X.X via xe-1/2/0.0 [BGP/170] 19w0d 05:40:34, MED 13010, localpref 75
    AS path: 174 15169 I to X.X.X.X via xe-5/3/0.0 [BGP/170] 49w1d 17:27:44, localpref 100
    AS path: 4323 15169 I to X.X.X.X via xe-7/0/0.0

As you can see XO is preferred, followed by Timewarner, followed by Cogent.

• MrGeneral said: I'm just tired of Mark talking about Delimiter as "they", then later he writes "we", what the hell is your position @ Delimiter?

Bad grammar on my side. I work for their parent company, but slowly getting more involved with their day-to-day operations.

MrGeneral said: Also, it's pretty bad for your image to bash Dacentec's network and advertising here your own offers (the post was reported, tho, did it disappear?)

I never advertised anything in this thread. All that I did was make a response to posting when they asked, what is differences between Delimiter/Dacentec and I said Dacentec better for storage, Delimiter better for network.

Since then its just been a furor over that comment which is just ridiculous.

• edited July 2015

MarkTurner said: if you want someone to help you configure your server they'll say 'no can do'.

Actually this is not true. They've helped me with various things without hesitation.

I've used both Delimiter and Dacentec. I'm happy with both of the companies.

I have load tested a Delimiter box and was pretty happy with it. Network was perfect and only thing is they need to hire some support guys. But Never waited more than 1 hour to get a ticket reply.

I haven't load tested a Dacentec box but I assume they also have a good network and hardware by the look. But had some problems with the network while back in one of my friends box.

I'm always requesting dedicated offers as I'm the one who started web hosting in our company. (I'm a Ux/Ui Designer) and I'm very passionate with the hosting industry.

I think this should be the stop. When it comes to Delimiter and Dacentec. Both got it's ups and down. Some guys would enjoy this thread and even make this thread worse. But in my personal view, I think both @MarkTurner & @dacentec should stop replying furthermore in this thread. (Don't start flame war)

• sdglhm said: I think this should be the stop. When it comes to Delimiter and Dacentec. Both got it's ups and down.

You, my friend, speak the truth. I'll step back from this discussion.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited July 2015

I do really like @Dacentec 's transatlantic links. Quite happily takes half of my 152Meg line here. 100ms from Home and from my Online.net server.

@MarkTurner and co over at Delimiter, that's it, you've lost a potential customer who was in fact browsing your website this afternoon! Your conduct here is enough to make the hardest of Delimiter fans leave.

Edit: Is @MarkTurner 's poor Delimiter giving anyone else a sinking feeling?

• Someone should invite kimsufi and online.net representatives for another debate thread for budget servers in European area. Or should we just lump them together here?

• edited July 2015

DalComp said: Someone should invite kimsufi and online.net representatives for another debate thread for budget servers in European area. Or should we just lump them together here?

You forgot the world biggest supplier. GVH v3

P.s- Guys seriously ?

• I currently have dacentec only. I've used other servers from alnitech5, soyoustart,hetzner, kimsufi, OVH, and online.net.

After the 100g bundle cut my speeds have sucked. My uploads to the dacentec server are fine but downloads which take a different route that then reaches chargers network is limiting me to 700kbs. .
    My kimsufi still satiarates my 65mbit, as does delimiters test files,

A friend of mine I can saturate over sftp from alnitech and their soyoustart just fine as well to my home connection.

I did ticket them and I received the response that it was my ISP. I checked in verizon and even the university internet exchange system. And it's the same for the others to in all cases

Speeds at the server for regular traffic seem to be fine. Though.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@MarkTurner said:
    Since then its just been a furor over that comment which is just ridiculous.

Thank.you for clarifying my questions :-), best luck for both companies!