Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM launches new website! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM launches new website!

Comments

• catalystiumcatalystium Member
    edited June 2015

y-m-d = ISO_8601 boys

Nice website though, looks better than that 1990's shell site :-P

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Francisco, sorry to say that it is the colours for the text across the site

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@hawc said:
    Francisco, sorry to say that it is the colours for the text across the site

No problem! it's easy enough to adjust the CSS. Would you might if I PM you to get you to check some of the adjustments I make?

Francisco

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Feel free to PM me Francisco

• Re: Google and mobile sites. Their algo is looking for mobile responsive or mobile sites and giving a slight bump if it is. If you do a Google search on your phone you'll see text below some listings that says "Mobile-Friendly".

I wouldn't stress over a site being friendly though. Take a look at your analytics and check for mobile usage. If you've got more than say 20% mobile traffic you probably want to look into implementing something. Also break down your conversions by source, if people are buying on mobile then it should definitely be priority.

@Francisco let me know if you want me to take a quick look at the site from an SEO perspective, can give you some tips

• Francisco said: Yep, possible, but then people that directly visit the site get nothing :D

Can I suggest you regarding whmcs:

• create two new subdomains client.buyshared.net and client.buyvm.net (for example)
    • redirect both to whmcs folder
    • add to whmcs config file checking for $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'].
      If equal to client.buyshared then templates_compile_dir is this else this. Also you can easily add systpl variable to request url easily using nginx? Right?

I hope it was useful.

@alexvolk said:

Yep, my plan was just a switch(). We don't use NGINX so I can't use their variable setting features.

@mikeyur said:
    Re: Google and mobile sites. Their algo is looking for mobile responsive or mobile sites and giving a slight bump if it is. If you do a Google search on your phone you'll see text below some listings that says "Mobile-Friendly".

I wouldn't stress over a site being friendly though. Take a look at your analytics and check for mobile usage. If you've got more than say 20% mobile traffic you probably want to look into implementing something. Also break down your conversions by source, if people are buying on mobile then it should definitely be priority.

Francisco let me know if you want me to take a quick look at the site from an SEO perspective, can give you some tips

Thanks! I'll drop you a PM.

Francisco

• DennisDDennisD Member
    edited June 2015

What about integrating WHMCS in the new design? The new websites looks all fancy and shit, but when I proceed to buy a server I get redirected to some ugly default WHMCS portal. New theme looks very good, I like the full-width menu.

EDIT: Sorry didn't read the first page, someone already mentioned the WHMCS thing. :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • About time! An early 2000's IRC shell company... LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Actually new web site look is really awesome. There are few things missing like responsive design but overall site design is pretty good.

Also after updating their algo back in 2013 (if my memory servers correct. If I'm wrong, please correct me) Google prioritize the mobile responsive sites in their listing. Now it considered as a main ranking signal.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • 10/10 Rating from us.Keep going! :)

• DBADBA Member

sdglhm said: Google prioritize the mobile responsive sites in their listing. Now it considered as a main ranking signal.

My understanding is from a recent blog post: "We’re boosting the ranking of mobile-friendly pages on mobile search results. " and other search engines have followed suit.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2015/04/rolling-out-mobile-friendly-update.html

• Aww... I saw that the DDoS protection (only $3/mo) was only for VPS servers on the BuyVM network :/

@doghouch said:
    Aww... I saw that the DDoS protection (only $3/mo) was only for VPS servers on the BuyVM network :/

Many people proxy it from us to a dedicated server elsewhere just because we provide more filtering for less than their own datacenter.

Francisco

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Well, my existing site is already going through a reverse proxy. Another one would just slow it down further :/

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Francisco said: Many people proxy it from us to a dedicated server elsewhere just because we provide more filtering for less than their own datacenter.

Francisco

Hmm. What kind of vps specs would you need just to proxy the traffic? Are you saying some buy your 128's just as a reverse proxy to their dedi and get the vox IP? (Cannot really beat the 3$/m deal tbh so it's worth it)

@Dillybob said:
    Hmm. What kind of vps specs would you need just to proxy the traffic? Are you saying some buy your 128's just as a reverse proxy to their dedi and get the vox IP? (Cannot really beat the 3$/m deal tbh so it's worth it)

Yep?

They then use GRE or NGINX if they just need a website protected.

Francisco

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited June 2015

Francisco said: Yep?

They then use GRE or NGINX if they just need a website protected.

Francisco

I see. Didn't know it was possible with those small boxes ^_^. Well, I'd rather just buy a vps from you annually instead.. I hate the feeling of having to rely on '2' servers than one. The protection might be worth it, but meh.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Really nice design, just work on optimization and mobile friendly (responsive) design.

Thanked by 1Francisco
    edited June 2015

@Dillybob said:
    I see. Didn't know it was possible with those small boxes ^_^. Well, I'd rather just buy a vps from you annually instead.. I hate the feeling of having to rely on '2' servers than one. The protection might be worth it, but meh.

GRE is pretty much no RAM, we just tell people to buy based on their bandwidth needs. NGINX is also very light but the 128MB plans only have a single core so during a decent layer 7 flood it can get a bit rocky.

EDIT - I Franned the first sentence, woops.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Dillybob
  • I saw people talking BuyVM here all the time, but why i cant see any recent offer? maybe its time for some deals :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@rokok said:
    I saw people talking BuyVM here all the time, but why i cant see any recent offer? maybe its time for some deals :)

BuyVM don't do deals, they've always just been damned good value.

• I've noticed this.

The BuyVM.net website stops music playback on iOS devices with each page load.

• wychwych Member

@kcaj only buyvm?

• kcaj said: The BuyVM.net website stops music playback on iOS devices with each page load.

It's not a bug. It's a feature ;)

• 2 months since launch and you still have SSL issue. https://copy.com/9zQcZkYcQFYqRGKG

• ??

@baran said:
    ??

Should be OK now, sorry. lighttpd has been acting up a lot, i've been meaning to replace it with NGINX.

Francisco

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

There's no pardon. I want a free VPS now.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • Site is very nice, we celebrate the gift coupons should, ha ha