Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a DMCA free file sharing site? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a DMCA free file sharing site?

124»

Comments

• Wouldn't it be safest to run a torrent site and hide it behind a vpn that specializes in that area? You can even purchase a domain with only an email and bitcoin. Completely annonymous, you should be so lucky to receive a DMCA notice. that would only mean your doing well!

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

In regards to hosting "questionable" content, I would advise you to fully be transparent with your hosting provider. Now obviously dont pitch it as "Hey I am hosting illegal content can you help" but more so like your original post. "I have XYZ things to host, in case of DMCA coming in future how do you deal with abuse and is it all OK? " should be cool.

This means that when the big and scary DMCA do come in, your host wont even bother with them because they are fully in the loop already and doesn't need to do further investigation. Now if the host declines you question of the content to be hosted... Well you saved what ever partial payment you would have made when they turn your services off.

Hosting behind CloudFlare is another very interesting point, I remember this thread on WHT where the copyright owner had the hardest time getting content removed because cloudflare refused and so did the backend host both arguing its not their responsibility. Interesting read i reckon. But like Nyr mentioned this whole Cloudflare "Not our fault or problem" will probably come to end soon ( personally I think ~6 - 12 months)

If you also want another level of control, what you can do is probably get an IPv6 broker (like sixxs or http://ip6.im/) to allocate you a space with your contact details on the whois info (regardless, truthful or fake) and then put it behind CloufdFlare for IPv4 compatibility. This resulting in the ability to handle all abuse on your own (and choose to ignore it if you wish?)

Just my 2cents

@Brian_lsh said:
    Hide it behind a vpn that specializes in that area?

Wut? Not sure if said "VPN" exists, you might be referring to reverse proxy services. But even then, when the abuse complaints get scary enough I am sure they will drop said client also. (Only my thoughts/predictions)

• Zappie said: If you also want another level of control, what you can do is probably get an IPv6 broker (like sixxs or http://ip6.im/) to allocate you a space with your contact details on the whois info (regardless, truthful or fake) and then put it behind CloufdFlare for IPv4 compatibility.

BGP or Tunnelled ipv6?

@joelgm said:
    BGP or Tunnelled ipv6?

The object will be to have your info on the IP object, meaning that when the copyright owner or any other troll sends and abuse email they will send it an inbox which you control. (the aim of the game I guess to gain more control)

I know sixxs assigns the info you sign up with as the whois object to your allocated prefix. Not what the exact processes for IP6.im but I know they fully assign the space to you.

Long story short, doesn't matter if tunneled or BGP, the aim is to get your contact info (and only yours) on the whois object. Well, at least thats my thinking.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited May 2015

Zappie said: Long story short, doesn't matter if tunneled or BGP, the aim is to get your contact info (and only yours) on the whois object. Well, at least thats my thinking.

That makes sense to prevent the content from being taken down.

But OP, please notice that, by doing this, you're risking them taking actions much worse than a DMCA notice or a server being taken down.

@Traffic said:
    But OP, please notice that, by doing this, you're risking them taking actions much worse than a DMCA notice or a server being taken down.

This is true, However this would happen to the client on any other hosting provider too. And lets be fair, We can all pretty much assume that hosting provider will drop a client WAY earlier than when the client knows it time to quit the game give it a rest, before anything worst can come of it.

I am not saying that everyone should "mess with the system", however for the sake of argument and the discussion of this thread, I think this is the most "bullet proof" way of going about it with low overheads on the wallet. (Have you seen PRQ's prices?!)

Thanked by 1Droidzone
  • sc754sc754 Member

How about mounting via sshfs in order to access the files from the webhost?