Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On UptimeVPS - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

On UptimeVPS

Comments

• @albertdb said: @kristal said: 3 customers per server, thats 3x45 = 135 from one server.

135€/year. WTF?

YEah, the god of the math, accountancy and so...

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

... as in comment :)

• @albertdb said: Welcome to the overselling OpenVZ world. Not everyone will use all the RAM, HDD and bandwidth.

Well of course, but 3.5x overselling just to break even? That's a bit excessive.

• Following a bit of an argument regarding the meaning of life, errr, "host" and "domain", which is rather interesting if metaphysics is something you enjoy.

What, I think, most people will not enjoy is rudeness of replies. However, perhaps this is a bunch of people that prefer to get money rather than provide a service for it.
    Am not sure yet that indeed that is the case, hence am going to check a few more issues.

• The java console that is provided via the solus control panel keeps proving an error that refers to sources unknown. I checked this on 3 of my machines with similar results, which kind of indicates there might indeed be a problem @ source.
      To overcome that, I thought perhaps ssh via putty could solve the situation. However, using the credentials given by uptimevps, the server didn't want to recognise me.
      I will try connecting via a few other ips, just in case the server had an issue with my ip.

• The question asking to verify that indeed am using the correct details on the ssh, has not been answered nearly 23 hours now.

• You have access to solus, you can see your IPs there and you can see your VPS is alive? Try changing root password from solus

• First, try changing root password from Solus as suggested above.

Second, try this --
    Click "Serial Console" -> "View Connection Settings"

Should have this information presented:
    Address 46.105.117.xxx
    Port 22
    Username console-abcdefg
    Password wtfsolusblowsdk

You can use the Java console to connect or putty to that IP with the username/password.

• @ verdan and @ herbyscrub
    Thanks for the tips!

I did do as suggested, but for no avail. A friend, a sys-admin guy had a look as well. He said there's something wrong in the server config on my node which is why the console-xyz + passw3rd don't work on ssh and the java console is full of errors.
    Indeed, apparently the java errors do indicate some inabilities of code to read a few required libraries...

I do understand that there are some very happy uptimevps customers out there and indeed even here. I suspect though that it is more based on luck and perhaps the mood of uptimevps operators.. Maybe both.

Prior to signup, I did ask re division of responsibilities that is inherently included with unmanaged + server. ie there are some issues that may arise and there needs to be an understanding of which sphere the fault might be. If the ssh doesn't work, it the server's operators sphere, and if the ns do not resolve - then perhaps my sphere..

Uptimevps has, in effect, abdicated any possibility for being responsible for anything that might go wrong on the server.

Am now waiting for the 7 days money back guarantee to be honoured..

• So, I guess you already tried to change your password?

• @ yomero
    Yup. I changed the password. (mind, there are 2 locations to do that, one on the panel where it says "root password", and another under "my account". the attempt to change the root password on the panel did not affect anything, however under "my account" - presto, it recognised new password..)
    But then, this whole process did not help to gain access neither via the console nor ssh/putty..

• @sysnode just an fyi, leave out the space between the @ symbol and the poster's name. They get a notice if it's done right that there's a response.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

• No, there is a "change console password" or sth like that option. That is the place where you change the pass for the console-xxxxx user

• @drmike - thanks for the tip.
    Am a vanilla virgin ;)

• @yomero - Yup. Right next to "root password" on the right, situated on the solus panel... Forgot to mention that I did that as well.. So many password changes.. ;) Nothing helped to change the outcome.
    A bit strange.

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited November 2011

I was pleased with my $7/year 128mb in Paris, but things now appear to be unraveling a bit. First, my load numbers went from 0.6 to 1.2. The server also used a lot of virtual swapping even thought my loaded apps total only 60mb. Using "cat /proc/cpuinfo", I discovered the "cpu MHz" setting was now only 800mhz. Then the server started crashing, and now cannot be rebooted. Technical support replied quickly that they are resolving a "node issue." Hmmm....

• @LongShot is this Charlie node? It was down since yesterday - till now.

• Node charlie? Problems for me too today, it looks like it's going up and down all the time. There goes 50 days uptime.

CPU was always 800MHz for me, but it's always been like that, not really important.

• charlie down!
    breathing intermittently...

It was probably on centos 6. So it was imminent anyway.
    Lasted so long because most of the users were just monitoring their boxes to check stability.

Once people started loading stuff, it seems to have failed.
    well, I wanted to move some stuff next week myself.

• This from the UptimeVPS announcements area:

"Our Charlie node is currently down due to a fault with the power supply, OVH are working on fixing this but as its the weekend support is very limited there. We hope to get this up as soon as possible."

Mon dieu!

• I love OpenVZ on Centos 6, memory usage is much lower as far as I can tell. It's a pity if it doesn't work.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited November 2011

It's really common in OVH. sometimes the technician shutting down your server for no reason. and the server going back with corrupted disk. where's exactly charlie node location? if it's on roubaix 4 then you must have more patience. http://status.ovh.net/ and click the dedicated server button, you'll see many problem in roubaix 4 around this week.

• Hmmm, and nowhere says nothing about a failing psu...

• It's the LEB Up curse.

WoooHooooWooooo.....

• @yomero said: Hmmm, and nowhere says nothing about a failing psu...

no.. that is just some "general" issue. not for failing psu or something. if someone knows they rack number, just go to "VMS" page and see if it's still falling.

• @Mon5t3r said: no.. that is just some "general" issue. not for failing psu or something. if someone knows they rack number, just go to "VMS" page and see if it's still falling.

I guess there is no way to know that

• @vedran said: CPU was always 800MHz for me, but it's always been like that, not really important.

I'm on Charlie as well, had a pretty good stretch of uptime.

If you stress the CPU, then it'll jump up to max speed. Power saving feature or something I think.

• Today I got the refund from uptimevps, based on their 7 days refund. That is a pleasant surprise given the negative impression they provide via tars, unhelpful/not-informative-nor-friendly email replies, and a careless attitude. For example, they didn't bother to check which paypal account is main, not did they ask for it on the refund form, which means that perhaps, if I didn't ask what is going on before the 7 days expired, they could have let the period expire.. When I did ask, they blamed me for not thinking I should provide the information they didn't initially ask for..

Guess that kind of sums up my experience with uptimevps..

Hopefully, my next vps experience will be different..

• How did you request a refund? I've paid 2.5 euro just a few days ago, I want that back >_<

• @vedran + @birdie
    on the control panel, @ the bottom, there is a link for a refund. (sorry can not recall the exact term used, but its pretty simple once you notice ;) )
    Then, just click on it and it will open a text area..
    Perhaps if you add your paypal details there, you'll need to wait less time..
    I'd also open a support ticket to specifically indicate that you've just requested a refund.. (I took a screen grub of that, but guess that's entirely optional.. ;))

Hey, GOOD LUCK!!

• Control panel? What control panel?