Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On UptimeVPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

On UptimeVPS

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@drmike said: @Infinity Well your html is crap if that's supposed to be an image in your post there. :)

It works for me so.. :S I used: < img src="https://secure.uptimevps.co/img/logo.png" />. I've designed enough websites to know basic HTML like that. Maybe the image is cached or more likely it is a self signed cert and your browser blocked it. I should have put the main site's logo.

• That was meant as a joke. Please note the smiley -> :)

The "crap" coming from your post of course.

Works on this network as I can see it above. Didn't previously.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @drmike said: Works on this network as I can see it above. Didn't previously.

I did not either from any of my "Net" connections. Weird that I do now though.

I updated the post to the main page logo. Damn UptimeVPS can't afford SSL.

• Damn any provider with 'up' in their name. It's getting too confusing. is this the 'up' that's never online or the 'up' that doesn't answer questions or the 'up' with the sexy red haired girlfriend or the 'up' who thinks I have a buyvm vps or the 'up' who got bought out and then canceled at the last minute or the 'up' who LEA was complaining about getting mail bombed by or the 'up' who...

• waiting offers from nouptime.com

Thanked by 3drmike breton AuroraZ
  • @drmike: thats a really nice summary :)

• I'll be honest... I was about ready to get a small VPS from them and give it a trial run; right up until that spammer started plugging them in every damn thread he went in. That right there pretty much convinced me I want absolutely nothing to do with UptimeVPS.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

lol now blame me haha funny guy u mad bro ? if u want something for testing lemme know ill provide u on the cheap :)

and NOT EVERY POST - only posts related to it, always on topic

• That's a negative. Your representation of this company has ensured they will not see business from me.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

u r a fool thinking i represent them, but i guess crying and making false assumptions its all u can do. i just strongly state my opinion. nothing wrong with that, dont get mad

maybe its good u dont wanna signup, whiners like u would only make more mess and complaints :)

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2011

@kristal It's annoying how much you talk about them, when the way it looks, this is not a solid company.

I'm sorry, a good company does not offer 4GB OpenVZ packages for 45 euros a year (or even their 95 euros regular price). I think we all can understand how oversold that is, and what the company's real intention for doing that is...

edit: and especially with 250gb disk space, lmao.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited November 2011

@Kairus said: edit: and especially with 250gb disk space, lmao.

*coff coff* Myoversellerhost

• IPAP had no problems offering 250GB space ... It takes a lot of time to fill in 250GB with 5kB write speed tho.

Thanked by 2Infinity tux
  • hahahahahahahh vedran, good one.

• @ drmike - thanks for the illumination. I didn't notice the thread re "up". My brute mind is stack on the plenty of "host" and "vps".

• sysnodesysnode Member
    edited November 2011

@ Simplyfast re "SELF-MANAGED". Good point mate.
    The bit where the hosting company allows you to get up and running so you could self manage. Per clarification of this very term prior to signup. eg a console that works, a correct url to the control panel, correct info as to what is included and what isn't. (..and if something is included but is obscured by a bad interface, to point in the right direction, where its at, so you could indeed Self-Manage.. I think its called common human decency..;) )

• @sysnode said: To log in to the server, via the web interface, as far as it seems, I should have a url as server.domain.com working. I entered one when registered with uptimevps, with the idea to change it later. Can not really see where this can be changed from.

This is purely for informational basis only. You will manually need to edit DNS and point a sub-domain to your VPS ip to be able to do that

• Adventures with uptimevps cont.

Am glad to report that tickets are, on the whole, replied to in a fair frequency. However, "reply" is not to be confused with "answer". For instance, it is nice to get a reply within a few hours as to the url of a control panel, however, getting the wrong url is not the answer.
    In general, replies are less then helpful, confusing terms such as "domain" with "host", and "rebuild" with "reboot", and provide as less information as possible.
    This, in my mind, shows a lack of care towards either the product, the customer, themselves, or a sort of a whole combo of carelessness which doesn't really bode well. Very sad.
    Because of the short - but not sharp - replies that do not answer, I find it hard to tell, when difficulties come, whether it is the server's fault, myself or another element. All of which kind of helps sustain the rather enjoyable long support ticket exchange am having with uptimevps.
    As part of this exchange I learned that the Welcome msg from uptimevps did not provide the correct username to get up and running with the solus panel, and that some people do enjoy replying just for the sake of it.. (am an artist & a writer, perhaps will use it sometime..)

• It's SolusVM and the URL is http://solus.uptimevps.info/login.php -- Standard control panel for a lot of VPS.

Your issues seem to have little to do with UptimeVPS, but more of a lack of basic understanding for DNS and VPS. Self-managed servers would have the assumption that terms like "domain," "host," "rebuild," and "reboot" would not be confusing at all. You're not paying them for this sort of support, just general maintenance and uptime of the server.

As far as UptimeVPS...They've been worth the money paid so far, but I still wouldn't put anything crucial on them. Stats for three servers, monitored at 5 minute intervals (56d up - 99.95% network uptime, 21d up - 96.57% network uptime, 9d up - 99.90% network uptime).

• @ herbyscrub Perhaps I wasn't clear. The issue re "domain," "host," "rebuild," and "reboot" is that have asked re domain and got a reply re host.. (just an example..)

Out of curiousity.. You seem like a happy uptimevps customer, but wouldn't put anything crucial with them.. Why?

• They're very new with some spotty, borderline shady things going for them such as their domain info and recent PayPal issues.

I wouldn't put anything crucial on any LEB. I was just stating that for $7, I've gotten more than what I've paid so far in terms of usability at UptimeVPS.

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

paypal payments go to private person, not a company, that persons payment email is located at www.legrafc.com FOOTBALL CLUB !? and their email is registered on yahoo.co.uk.

there is also no physical address provided.

full details with emails and names available upon request.

I can trust LEBs with my crucial data, just not UptimeVPS. There are more that enough good providers out there.

I wonder why they dont come and defend themselves properly.

• @Infinity said: I wonder why they dont come and defend themselves properly.

How do you defend selling 4GB ram 250gb HDD for 45 euros a year -_-

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited November 2011

@Kairus said: How do you defend selling 4GB ram 250gb HDD for 45 euros a year

It's possible with no RAID, do the maths yourself: http://www.kemsirve.es/

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2011

@albertdb said: It's possible with no RAID, do the maths yourself: http://www.kemsirve.es/

Okay, I will! So let's say we get a 24gb server, that's 58.99 euros after VAT+ 17.70 euros for an extra 15 IPV4 IPs, so 76.69 euros per month. That's 920.28 euros per year.

920.28/45 = 20.45. So they need 21 clients to break even (not incl PayPal fees)

So they're selling it as if it had: 84gb of ram, 5.25TB hdd, 52.5TB bandwidth.

The bandwidth cap is 15TB per month for the 24GB server, and it only has 2TB of hdd space.

They're not even making a profit off this, and with PayPal fees, they're probably in the red on this deal.

It's not much better @ their standard 95 euros per month, once you consider they have to bring in a profit...

edit: The cost for the IP's is wrong, it's more, I initially calculated 15 clients to break even, but then I forgot the IP cost, and when I added it in, I included the original number of clients (15 not 21).

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited November 2011

@Kairus said: So they're selling it as if it had: 84gb of ram, 5.25TB hdd, 52.5TB bandwidth.

Welcome to the overselling OpenVZ world. Not everyone will use all the RAM, HDD and bandwidth.

• kristalkristal Banned
    edited November 2011

Prices are different for resellers that buy more, they get % discounts.

ip's are charged differently and in Europe usually as a one time fee if u load in large quantities.

my bad about the math tho.

• @kristal said: Prices are different for resellers that buy more, they get % discounts.

OVH prices are the same regardless of the customer.

@kristal said: ip's are charged differently and in Europe usually as a one time fee if u load in large quantities.

That's not true for Kimsufi.

@kristal said: 3 customers per server, thats 3x45 = 135 from one server.

135€/year. WTF?