Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of hosts that use profanity or are rude to others? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think of hosts that use profanity or are rude to others?

Comments

• Isn't swearing really offensive in America?

• @Infinity580 said:
    Its a natural thing, if people get pissed off, they rage back. Mostly.

Well, if a provider responds rudely to me in ticket/support email, I'll bid farewell to such a provider immediately.

Guess how many times I did that, within my 16+ years experience of testing various providers?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Isn't swearing really offensive in America?

It's taboo on network TV, but all the Americans I know personally don't seem to be bothered by profanity.

• Master_Bo said: Well, if a provider responds rudely to me in ticket/support email, I'll bid farewell to such a provider immediately.

Guess how many times I did that, within my 16+ years experience of testing various providers?

You have to be careful with your interpretation of rude though, there might be misunderstandings resulting from cultural differences. For example using words as "fuck" in a ticket is totally unacceptable, but some people can get offended by a simple "No".

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Master_Bo said:

I have had several "not so nice" replies from known providers, and always cancelled all the services with the given providers.

Last time, it happened with a company I work for, they were rude, and I decided to move all our servers from that company. They lost several hundreds in monthly revenew.

Now I'm also considering to abandon a provider who's owner think he's the best and can say whatever he wants to.

Thanked by 3Traffic Master_Bo earl
  • @rds100 said:
    You have to be careful with your interpretation of rude though, there might be misunderstandings resulting from cultural differences.

Sysadmins tend to be very flexible in that manner. By "rude" I mean "rude", i.e., in layman terms, "will you talk in that manner to your beloved mother?"

Thanked by 2rds100 MikePT
  • @MrGeneral said:
    Now I'm also considering to abandon a provider who's owner think he's the best and can say whatever he wants to.

I also do that. Not gonna give a single cent to assholes, and most of the times you have at least 10 providers willing to match or even give you a better offer in exchange of your business.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I dunno, part of the price you pay for bargain-basement services is bargain-basement customer service - a lot of providers are techies and sysadmins and not customer service experts. I personally can cope with anything up to the point of being abused directly when I'm only paying a few quid a month.

• @Nekki said:
    I dunno, part of the price you pay for bargain-basement services is bargain-basement customer service - a lot of providers are techies and sysadmins and not customer service experts. I personally can cope with anything up to the point of being abused directly when I'm only paying a few quid a month.

So a provider can tell you whatever he wants and treat you however he wants, provided he's cheap?

Don't you think that's selling you a bit too cheap?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Traffic said: So a provider can tell you whatever he wants and treat you however he wants, provided he's cheap?

Don't you think that's selling you a bit too cheap?

It honestly doesn't bother me, I'm not going to get worked up over someone ranting and raving in a support ticket so long as I'm getting what I paid for.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

LET is not a place for thin skin.

Thanked by 1coolice
  • @FrankZ said:
    LET is not a place for thin skin.

It's not fight club, either.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2015

Master_Bo said: It's not fight club, either.

Actually, those are exactly the words I use to describe it to friends.

EDIt: It should be noted that I come from a culture where raising you voice is considered bad form. so I may not have the best perspective

Thanked by 1earl
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

@FrankZ
    Where are you from? The UK? ;-) jk

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Master_Bo said:

It's nothing like a fight club. It's incredibly rare for people to be flat out abusive of one another, and when it happens it's usually in the discussions related to religion, which are generally not allowed here anyway.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Master_Bo said:

@FrankZ said:
    Actually, those are exactly the words I use to describe it to friends.

First rule of Fight Club, never speak about Fight Club.

Thanked by 2FrankZ earl
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited April 2015

Where are you from? The UK? ;-) jk

Mexico

Nekki said: It's incredibly rare for people to be flat out abusive of one another,

Unless your name is nugget

Thanked by 2earl Amitz
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Nekki said:
    It's taboo on network TV, but all the Americans I know personally don't seem to be bothered by profanity.

Can confirm, I don't give a shit.

Thanked by 2Nekki Amitz
  • earlearl Member

@FrankZ said:
    Mexico

I thought you live in Miami for some reason :P

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@FrankZ said:
    Unless your name is nugget

If there's one thing in life you can be sure of, it's that there will always be nuggets.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • AmplificatorAmplificator Member
    edited April 2015

If it's just an occasional thing at a forum like this where it's his own account (ie. not an account with the actual company name in it) I don't really care unless the sole purpose of his account is to be an annoying troll, and then I would just consider him a douche.

If @Jar called me retarded during a conversation on the forum I wouldn't mind it.. Whatever, it's the internet so I'd probably just mumble to myself that he's a retard as well :P
    But if he did it in a genuine support ticket at MXRoute I'd either not renew or just terminate it depending on the severity of the problem.

It's the internet after all; people should know that those words go around once in a while but there's a (time) and place for everything and those are certainly not the proper channels like support tickets for example but it is important to let people be people..

Some people (Like @Pwner just a few posts above) have a disclaimer in their signature to remind readers that he is an individual with his own opinion because not all can (or will) tell the difference at times.

Because of the nature of non-verbal communication like this, irony, sarcasm, tone of voice or just simply comments that were meant in a funny way etc. can easily get misinterpreted and that happens quite a lot on the internet.
    If you really do take offense you can report the comment, block the user and/or not do business with that particular user/company, but being offended on the internet is.. pointless, as you probably know already.

And now for the stereotype 'Murican disclaimer so I don't get sued by everyone out to make a quick $:
    ..blablabla @Jar never called me a retard.. blablabla .. he seems competent and friendly enough .. blablabla :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited April 2015

I really couldn't care less, if I get told in a ticket that I'm a fucking idiot then there's a dam good chance that I actually deserved it and was in some fashion. However if it was completely unwarranted then I'd be a little concerned.

On the flip-side however when I get sarcastic, generally clueless or rambling replies I get genuinely annoyed, regardless of the professionalism of the tech if I get yelled at it "generally" shows they're alert and paying attention to whats going on. If I get a one liner or a paragraph of utter garbage I seriously wonder what they're doing on the other end of the screen, did they even read the ticket I sent them? Are they even paying attention to the nodes that my VPS's/Dedi's are running on? Did they not understand my ticket and decided to half ass a reply rather than clarify whatever they didn't understand?
    Maybe I'm over thinking it but that's usually what goes on in my ol'brain box.

On a public medium like a forum though they're representing their company, their outward facing image for the world to see. If they're swearing at people left and right and being offensive then it makes the provider look bad, no matter if they claim their opinion's are their own, when dealing with me in private though I'm quite happy for the verbal assault to let loose if I messed up and deserve it.

Anyhoo I know most will feel differently, that's my personal opinion on the subject though.

EDIT: I should add I distinguish between playful banter and actual abuse, I quite enjoy seeing providers join in rather than tip toe around something merely to be politically correct.

You know, after writing it all out I'm quite complicated and at the same time extremely carefree with how my providers act.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Amplificator said: If @Jar called me retarded during a conversation on the forum I wouldn't mind it

You son of a mother.

Thanked by 1Amplificator
    1. Freedom of speech
    2. He doesn't own the brands
    3. Stop taking offense to things.
  • good bait.

• @Jar said:
    You son of a mother.

Thanked by 3KwiceroLTD FrankZ jar
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Traffic said:
    I also do that. Not gonna give a single cent to assholes, and most of the times you have at least 10 providers willing to match or even give you a better offer in exchange of your business.

Exactly, Traffic. I need to feel good with the provider, otherwise I'll simply pack-up and move.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @MrGeneral said:
    Exactly, Traffic. I need to feel good with the provider, otherwise I'll simply pack-up and move.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Jonchun said: Exactly, Traffic. I need to feel good with the provider, otherwise I'll simply pack-up and move.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • Nekki said: Exactly, Traffic. I need to feel good with the provider, otherwise I'll simply pack-up and move.