Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of hosts that use profanity or are rude to others?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think of hosts that use profanity or are rude to others?

Hi,

So over the past months (I'm fairly new here), I've noticed some profanity and straight out rude people on these forums.
What surprised me is that some of these people actually operate a business.
For example the owner of Evoburst Solutions ( NanoVZ / MegaVZ / BudgetVZ ) posted this the other day:

Full disclosure: I have someone with down syndrome in my family, so I might have taken more offense than others.

2 questions:

1) Do you think this is acceptable?
2) How do you deal with it when you're a customer?

Thank you!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

just to be clear, @joodle is not the owner of those brands.
    With his history I'm not surprised of his choice of words.

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • 1) he is not he owner.
    2) is he not allowed to comment outside of his role in evoburst.
    3) you have taken too much offense.
    4) please research regarding why joodle posted that.
    5) I AM WORSE AT FUCKING RAGING ;)

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • maybe it was not the best choice of words. but he has the right to speak freely just as anyone else here. and he was accused of something serious without proof.

• It's polite to tag the people you talk about on forums. @joodle.

• The serious providers and it's employees do not act like this, they know its bad marketing.

• earlearl Member

Gotta tell ya.. if profanity is not your kinda thing, this site is defintely not for you! it gets pretty brutal here..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's situational. If they have to use that particular word in every sentence I would consider them illiterate, and that has other implications on their intelligence and ability to handle their job. In the context of a reply to someone making entirely random and out of place accusations about them on an internet forum? I wouldn't bat an eye at it.

Thanked by 2MikePT matthewvz

@TarZZ92 said:
    maybe it was not the best choice of words. but he has the right to speak freely just as anyone else here. and he was accused of something serious without proof.

well, he did confess to signing up with fake information and using a fake paypal. I consider that a greater "crime" then cursing on a forum.

Thanked by 2Spirit MikePT
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

funyuns_are_awesome said: 1) Do you think this is acceptable? 2) How do you deal with it when you're a customer?

Are you talking about when you're a customer and you see an employee of your provider's cursing on some forum? I think it depends on the circumstances, it's true that I'm trusting them with my data, but at the same time we're all human, and raging in a forum doesn't seem that far from raging in a Minecraft game which doesn't seem very big of a deal. (except for the fact that one is more linkable to the provider, but that doesn't say anything about their professionalism or anything). So I guess like @Jar said.

Now, that's all about individuals who have some association with a hosting provider doing something separate from their work. If they start cursing in a communication relating to the provider itself then that's obviously a different story.

Thanked by 2jar TheLinuxBug
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

perennate said: If they start cursing in a communication relating to the provider itself then that's obviously a different story.

I've done it. True story, guy does a credit card dispute after 60 days of using service (to a bunch of other providers the same day), I lose, he tries to order a week later...

No one would call my response professional :P

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    1) he is not he owner.
    2) is he not allowed to comment outside of his role in evoburst.
    3) you have taken too much offense.
    4) please research regarding why joodle posted that.
    5) I AM WORSE AT FUCKING RAGING ;)

1) Still represents evoburst.
    2) Still reflects on evoburst.
    3) That's your opinion.
    4) Doesn't matter why. It's still unprofessional/unacceptable.
    5) Don't you sell services here too?

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

Honestly I don't care, I believe people are human first and anything else is just a mask, hosts are humans too, if I took offence to this sort of thing I would be rocking back and forth in a dark room mumbling while listening to massive attack and questioning my own existence by now.

I get that some people find it unprofessional and your right, it is, but again that is just another mask, I think the world would be a better place without all the fake filters people use.

Anyone that works in any line of work that does not like this I would ask you to seriously, and I do mean seriously consider if you have ever said something just because it was the 'professional' thing to do even when you really would like to have said something different.

Don't get me wrong, please and thank you and generally not going out of your way to insult someone or offend someone is important, but I find the fact that this thread was posted to begin with pretty sad and annoying, especially without even having the facts straight or any context.

Thanked by 3yomero Steve MikePT
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Anyone that works in any line of work that does not like this I would ask you to seriously, and I do mean seriously consider if you have ever said something just because it was the 'professional' thing to do even when you really would like to have said something different.

Working in a premium line/managed brand really gets you to think about this. I've literally had a client write up a huge list of how he didn't get hacked, and how there's no way his website should be suspended and how since he always keeps his stuff up to date it was our fault his service was suspended and that we needed to unsuspend it immediately so he can fix [our] problems. When I went to look it up, he was suspended for an overdue invoice...

Another client that comes to mind is a lady that cries "fix it asap" because her website was "down". The problem? She had her domain spelled incorrectly in her records and she was blindly copy-pasting it without even looking.

There's more stories, but those are just a couple examples of times when yes, things that SHOULD have been said were left hushed to remain professional. To me, it doesn't matter how rude the customer is. You can be firm, but the host should NEVER swear in any type of public interaction related to the business.

A think some good examples of being firm without swearing on this forum are @Francisco and @Incero. You see them responding to all the people who (generally) have invalid complaints, and they remain firm without profanity. If you've ever hung out in the BuyVM IRC, you'd know that @Francisco does let it loose in a casual environment... Still, he keeps it all in check on the forums. If you do not have to vocabulary and professionalism to properly write sentences that get their messages across without profanity, perhaps you shouldn't be running a business.

Thanked by 2Nomad Pwner
  • funyuns_are_awesome said: 1) Do you think this is acceptable? 2) How do you deal with it when you're a customer?

1. No, it's not OK. I know' we're just humans, but still.. there's no reason to come to some forum to call someone "retarded", because what this tell us about you?
    2. For some reason my hosts don't do this. And I am hosted with many "companies".
    Thanked by 3perennate Mark_R MikePT
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Jonchun said: A think some good examples of being firm without swearing on this forum are @Francisco and @Incero. You see them responding to all the people who (generally) have invalid complaints, and they remain firm without profanity. If you've ever hung out in the BuyVM IRC, you'd know that @Francisco does let it loose in a casual environment... Still, he keeps it all in check on the forums.

I probably shouldn't be a used as a good example as someone who doesn't cuss :P I usually try to not cuss at someone, rather at the situation.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

But that's exactly my point. You don't swear at your customers or talk like a 14 year old playing Call of Duty. Fine, you might use profanity in public, but it's not used towards or being rude to others or your clients.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Jonchun said: You don't swear at your customers

I do, but normally they're people that I count as good friends and they return the favor :P m0shbear, bfj, the_hatta, & tw, solar, are examples of people from #frantech that I will straight out cuss them out proceeded by buying them games on steam.

Francisco

Thanked by 3ATHK HyperSpeed k0nsl
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

That doesn't count :P

There's clearly more than just a business relationship in those cases.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Let me explain why I said that to him.

He was being a total dick to me in another post, accusing me of "scanning" with a VPS I bought there, accusing me of being a scammer, which I am not. I have many servers with many different providers and none of them have complaints about me. A mod told us both to stop in that other thread, so I did. Yet he (cocui) continues, and that is the reason I said that to him.

Anyway, if people are not nice to me, I still try to be nice to them, but if they continue with their bullshit, I will not be nice to them either.

We get tickets from customers at EvoBurst where they (the customer) are being disrespectfull, I ALWAYS keep calm and I'm ALWAYS nice to them.

How I talk here doesn't have anything to do with how I am at EvoBurst. As I said before, I am usually nice to people if they are being nice to me, I always try to help people out if they have a problem (both on the internet and in real life).

I get emails from people using my Windows templates, I always help them out, for free. If i would have been a dick I would not have done that.

That's all I have to say.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

I'm sorry but I simply couldn't resist.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I get that some people find it unprofessional and your right, it is, but again that is just another mask, I think the world would be a better place without all the fake filters people use.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2015

Reminds me of some old citing, back from FIDONet times: "How you f&^%$ dare to say I am rude and aggressive, you ^%&^$& moron?!"

Methinks that official representative(s), let alone owner(s) of hosting business should not use any demonstration of bad mood/profanity/whatever on forums related to their business.

It can't do more harm than exposing that in front of (plausible) customers. JMNSHO.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

funyuns_are_awesome said: 1) Do you think this is acceptable?

Acceptable? I fucking love it.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

Haha! Agreed!

Its part of what MAKES this forum.

• I understand the OP and sometimes feel the same way, but having been around here for a while, I think the @Nekki and @SSDBlaze have a good point. There is a very wide range of people here, and the fact that things are a little rough sometimes is indeed what makes this site. I would add that learning to cope with that is probably also good for people like me and the OP. :)

• This forum has a lot of people that have different views on everything. Things will be said that aren't necessarily the best words to use at the time. However, it is what it is. I slip up a lot and I know it. Fact is that a provider that uses vulgar language to customers on forums or in a ticket is wrong. If you aren't a customer and a straight up troll, then so be it. You cannot let your judgment of a provider rest solely on his use of a few different words. The provider could have the best possible service and just uses the wrong words sometimes. Now, as I said, if he does it to a customer in a ticket or a forum... Well...

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2015

@XFS_Duke said:
    You cannot let your judgment of a provider rest solely on his use of a few different words.

In fact, I can.

The provider could have the best possible service and just uses the wrong words sometimes.

Not on forums dedicated to hosting. Would you care to offer an example of a provider with excellent service, the owner of which is known for rude/dubious choice of words on hosting forums?

• BruceBruce Member

I don't have customers here so I don't give a shit

If I did ... I still wouldn't give a shut

My customers buy my services because they want them. Not because of the words I use. But if they are stupid, chances are I will tell them. not to offend. Just to inform. That's a big difference

You can still tell stuff how they are without being a dick about it.
    It's all in the apperance. :)

• All of the top rated hosts on here (from quarterly polls) seem to act professionally in public, that should answer your question.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its a natural thing, if people get pissed off, they rage back. Mostly.

Enought Providers do that on there Ticketsystems and tell you to fuck off or delete tickets. And when a provider post it here, in a Thread everybody flips off.