Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space?

Comments

• Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Since no one else has mentioned it, SpiderOak have 5TB for $25/m or $279/yr.

At least with SpiderOak, your privacy is respected :)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I tried also to register for the 30 days trial of Google Apps Unlimited. I have only 1 user in the users list and during the setup I chose "This company has only 1 employee".

When I go to see my space storage:

http://s22.postimg.org/9ki32ztnl/Screenshot_from_2015_04_20_18_43_01.png

So, I can have unlimited storage even with just 1 user without being previously a member of Apps for Work?

• @Issam2204 said:
    I tried also to register for the 30 days trial of Google Apps Unlimited. I have only 1 user in the users list and during the setup I chose "This company has only 1 employee".

When I go to see my space storage:

http://s22.postimg.org/9ki32ztnl/Screenshot_from_2015_04_20_18_43_01.png

So, I can have unlimited storage even with just 1 user without being previously a member of Apps for Work?

It -always- shows that. It isn't sure though if Google's going to change that, if there are any further restrictions and so on. That's why I've sent them a ticket, no reply yet though.

• Thanks for your answer NeoXiD.

Since you use Google Apps Unlimited, can you tell me a place where I can see my actual space?

Thanks!

• That's the problem: Google states everywhere you should have only 1TB with 1 user and even replies that in some of their product forums, but many people or even everyone is able to use more than 1TB.

So all their quota pages show that you've got unlimited space, but their sales page states something else. So it's unclear if you can safely use more than 1TB or if they're going to suddenly change it...

...but I'd say that you should be allright. As now both Amazon and Microsoft started to push their unlimited cloud storage plans, it's unlikely that Google will suddenly really enforce the stated 1TB/account limit.

That's all just speculation though.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Yes, it's speculation, but it's true what you are saying.

I find hard to believe that Google, among all the players, would start to cap right now their offers. You know what? I'll try to upload more than 1 TB and I'll see :)

• @Issam2204 said:
    Yes, it's speculation, but it's true what you are saying.

I find hard to believe that Google, among all the players, would start to cap right now their offers. You know what? I'll try to upload more than 1 TB and I'll see :)

I'm now already at almost 2TB and so far no one complained - there's just no 100 percent guarantee that they won't suddenly change (even though it's unlikely, as said) and I wouldn't put reeeeeally important data on it without making some backups.

I just hope that they'll update their sales page and the contracts - then I'd feel much safer.

• I agree! But anyway since it's just trial I'll upload some snapshots. It should take around a couple of hours. Let's see :)

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited April 2015

Well, now we know that Google Drive Apps Unlimited is not unlimited if 5 users or up are not using the service:

That's unfortunate. I tested it and it's way faster than Amazon Unlimited with tons of beautiful options.

EDIT:

I'm gonna try to push it to 11 TB.

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited April 2015

Google Drive only shows TB without any decimals, so it seems like 1TB or whatever is the limit but it's still uploading. Better take a look at here for more precise informations: https://www.google.com/settings/storage

Keep us updated about your >11TB test :)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Hubic seem the way to go at the moment, they removed the 5gb per file limit and using hubic fuse it's quite fast. I just tested it right now from a DO droplet on a debian 7:

root@hf3:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hubic/default/Documents/test2
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 116.445 s, 9.2 MB/s

so i guess i'll be using it for backups too.

• BochiBochi Member
    edited April 2015

@marrco said:
    Hubic seem the way to go at the moment, they removed the 5gb per file limit and using hubic fuse it's quite fast. I just tested it right now from a DO droplet on a debian 7:

root@hf3:~# dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/hubic/default/Documents/test2
    > 1024+0 records in
    > 1024+0 records out
    > 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 116.445 s, 9.2 MB/s
    > 

so i guess i'll be using it for backups too.

Did you just post the exact same message in every hubiC related topic you could find around here? :P

• Yes he did lol

Anyway the limit of 5GB was really removed??

• yes, i guess i posted that on 3 different topics. I'm a hubicfuse fanboy now ;)
    And i really don't know why i spent my time messing with the "native" linux client (using momo) or other useless solutions. On a debian just wget latest hubicfuse and make install. It takes a few minutes and almost no space. And you can mount it and solve all your backup problems, and it has great upload speed from outside ovh too.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I will give hubiC another chance for sure :)

• @Issam2204 said:
    I will give hubiC another chance for sure :)

Sorry to bump such an old thread but did you end up sticking with hubic?

• ehabehab Member

@Issam2204 said:
    I will give hubiC another chance for sure :)

lookforward for your test, if i should try again. salamat.

• @MarkTurner said:

I need quite a lot of space, something like 10 TB. Price max. 200 € per year. I know it's crazy, but if there is hubiC there must be someone else I don't know about offering something similar.

The business model of most of these 'unlimited' services is to give you the first X GB/TB at moderate speed, then start algorithmically throttling the bandwidth available for the rest.

The idea being that they are giving you 'unlimited' storage/bandwidth but its sufficiently throttled that they can control how much you consume.

Really good point. Def true with Dropbox 1tb plan. Its joke

• @rm_ said:
    Amazon Cloud Drive is the only competitor to hubiC when it comes to specs per price and "seriousness" of the company offering the whole thing: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/48012/amazon-cloud-drive-launches-unlimited-cloud-storage-5-per-month/p1
    But even then, I don't trust Amazon not to invent "creative" interpretations of what their "unlimited" actually means. On the other hand the up-front 10TB limit at hubiC is realistic and that feels much more trustworthy

I'd like to know how bandwith degrades once you find yourself 500 gigs in or so

• @sidewinder said:

@rm_ said:
    Amazon Cloud Drive is the only competitor to hubiC when it comes to specs per price and "seriousness" of the company offering the whole thing: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/48012/amazon-cloud-drive-launches-unlimited-cloud-storage-5-per-month/p1
    But even then, I don't trust Amazon not to invent "creative" interpretations of what their "unlimited" actually means. On the other hand the up-front 10TB limit at hubiC is realistic and that feels much more trustworthy

I'd like to know how bandwith degrades once you find yourself 500 gigs in or so

10TiB up and can still max a US gigabit line. I'm considering switching to google apps for business though.

• Surprised nobody mentioned https://backblaze.com/b2..$3.50USD/month to store 350GB + ~$1/month for BW for me.

• Surprise!! That if you never need to download backup

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

karatekidmonkey said: $3.50USD/month to store 350GB + ~$1/month for BW for me.

Because that's not huge or cheap by any definition (note the thread title)? Hubic is 50 EUR per year which is 4.17 EUR/month -- same as what you're paying -- but for 10 TB, not 350 GB.

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • trvztrvz Member
    edited August 2016

Amazon Cloud Drive is now available in Europe. @Issam2204

• @rm_ said:

karatekidmonkey said: $3.50USD/month to store 350GB + ~$1/month for BW for me.

Because that's not huge or cheap by any definition (note the thread title)? Hubic is 50 EUR per year which is 4.17 EUR/month -- same as what you're paying -- but for 10 TB, not 350 GB.

agree.

currently i'm using 4.45 TB of 10 TB

fantastic, really cheap !!

• rm_ said: Because that's not huge or cheap by any definition (note the thread title)? Hubic is 50 EUR per year which is 4.17 EUR/month -- same as what you're paying -- but for 10 TB, not 350 GB.

I think it's pretty huge/cheap :)

• How fast are you guys able to upload to hubic?

I have been playing around with it in conjunction with rclone and its been relatively slow, averaging around 10Mbit/s - reading on their forums it would appear hubic limits accounts to 10Mbit/s as well, which would explain my speeds.

Based on what I have read the 10Mbit/s cap was only recently re-enabled with them, prior the throttling wasn't in place.

• flexflex Member

since months i have problems with upload/download on hubic through browser. 75% errors any others have this problem?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

leckley said: hubic limits accounts to 10Mbit/s as well, which would explain my speeds.

Based on what I have read the 10Mbit/s cap was only recently re-enabled with them, prior the throttling wasn't in place.

That's correct. I used to upload at full 100 Mbit from my home connection, but since 3-4 months ago it's only around 10 Mbit.