Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space?

Comments

• I would've bought Google Apps unlimited for Work. Do you know if is there any possibility to make a group of 5 people and have not shared accounts? So each one will use his own unlimited space?

I agree with rm_ that Amazon could work better in terms of speed and solutions, but as of now it's a bit too much expensive for me (at least to reach 10TB).

Chinese cloud I can't really consider it: capped everywhere and the service can disappear tomorrow.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Well, if what they say is true you get 5 users each with unlimited disks. Use one, sell the others. :P
    But I really think, 1 will have unlimited.

• Thanks for the heads up Radi :)

Anyway it's written in the link you posted:

"Unlimited Storage (or 1TB per user if fewer than 5 users)"

• 10TB w/ replication (or at least raid) isn't going to come cheap.. Hubic is your best bet.

Fast. Cheap. Lots of storage.

Pick 2.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Actually I just finished a backup with hubiC.

I made a backup of 85 GB and it took something like 8.5h. We can assume that it takes (at least with my setup - Kimsufi KS-2) 10h to backup 100 GB.

• ChuckChuck Member

@Issam2204 said:
    Thanks for the heads up Radi :)

Google it. Lol.

• @rds100 said:

@TarZZ92 said:

I didn't say 10TB on a single drive. After some discount you can get 5TB per $120-130 -- I saw the prices on Amazon US.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Issam2204 said: Amazon could work better in terms of speed and solutions, but as of now it's a bit too much expensive for me (at least to reach 10TB).

msg7086 said: you can get 5TB per $120-130 -- I saw the prices on Amazon US.

I wonder what are you talking about. Did you click the link I posted above?

• I was speaking about S3 :)

As I posted above, I live in Europe and Unlimited Cloud by Amazon is not available here :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015
  • This is so weird. I tried and it redirects me to the normal (old) offer as soon as I log-in.

• @rm_ said:
    I wonder what are you talking about. Did you click the link I posted above?

Sorry I didn't, and I was talking something a bit different. I was talking about these as I saw the main purpose is to backup.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Issam2204 said:
    Thanks MrGeneral! I'm signed up with hubiC. Actually I have 10TB, but I find quite slow :( And the official app takes a lot of CPU resources (I'm speaking about the linux app).

Certainly, its not ready for production IMHO.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • @nomad > In such cases, I wonder why no one sells NFS space.

Security, lack of expertise to scale it and Internet latency can be painful.

• @Issam2204 said:
    This is so weird. I tried and it redirects me to the normal (old) offer as soon as I log-in.

It worked on my end (I'm in Europe). Perhaps it's an account issue? Try to sign up with a new one :)

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • NomadNomad Member
    edited April 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    nomad > In such cases, I wonder why no one sells NFS space.

Security, lack of expertise to scale it and Internet latency can be painful.

Well, I don't see how it's any different than most VPSes. Afterall, you make some third party keep sake of your data.

(: Maybe not for crucial, keep-away-from-prying-eyes data but for other stuff such as as a media storage it might make sense.

As for latency, well... If both servers are in the same country it works, NFS has really good speed.

But yeah, scalability might be the issue maybe.

• @Nomad - we have been providing NFS storage for 3-4 years, but mostly push customers to be in the same facility as the NFS storage, then we can deliver over a private VLAN or dedicated connection.

• NomadNomad Member

@MarkTurner, the worst part of your services is that... It's all in US. Unfortunately it's not as appealing as Europe servers to those who doesn't reside in US and has nothing to do with a US based server.

Also, I have been using NFS for some time and I must say, even within a VPN, the speeds are outstanding. Unfortunately none of my providers ever sold NFS. Some even had trouble understanding what I was asking for (:

• @Nomad: Yomura has services in Europe, it just so happens that Delimiter has not bitten the bullet to offer them. The problem is price point, EU power is crazily expensive, coupled with the Euro in the toilet makes it less attractive for them to offer services.

I keep pushing, but its never going to be as cheap as OVH/Hetzner so this is why Delimiter has focussed its efforts on the US and Canada.

I am not sure what sort of performance you have got from NFS over public IP but its incredibly variable and any traffic issues (resends, latency) can cause no end of headaches.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

"Having a firewall that allows NFS to the Internet is like having a seat belt that lets your head touch the dashboard." -- Marcus Ranum

Thanked by 1Shade
  • @MrGeneral

I agree. Unfortunately it's not.

@deadbeef and @rm_

Well, I registered with a new account and it did work :) Do you of any way to use Amazon Unlimited Cloud with a headless linux server? It'd be amazing :)

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited April 2015

@Issam2204 said:
    Thanks for the heads up Radi :)

I've got a single Google Apps for Work account and am currently using 1.6TB. The official quota site also shows "xyz.com got unlimited storage"

Currently various rumors exist, like that it's just temporarily unlimited or that it's only unlimited for people which upgraded from legacy accounts (I did). I contacted the "Google Enterprise Support" a few days ago about the "real" quotas, but they didn't reply yet.

Google Drive gives you really great transfer speeds, I'm usually able to upload files with 30-35MB/s and download looks somewhat similar.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • TarZZ92 said:

u can get 8TB for 200eur though!

Got a link?

• NeoXiD said: I've got a single Google Apps for Work account and am currently using 1.6TB. The official quota site also shows "xyz.com got unlimited storage"

Currently various rumors exist, like that it's just temporarily unlimited or that it's only unlimited for people which upgraded from legacy accounts (I did). I contacted the "Google Enterprise Support" a few days ago about the "real" quotas, but they didn't reply yet.

Google Drive gives you really great transfer speeds, I'm usually able to upload files with 30-35MB/s and download looks somewhat similar.

It'd would be extremely good to have Google Drive unlimited with one account. Please, let us know what the Google Drive Team will tell you :)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

We have 8 TB storage for 79.9 EUR/month... a bit expensive comparing to hubiC 10 TB offer :(

• rds100 said: Got a link?

look on amazon, ebay etc use the search term ST8000AS0002 or seagate 8tb archive hdd

Thanked by 1rds100
  • TarZZ92 said: look on amazon, ebay etc use the search term ST8000AS0002 or seagate 8tb archive hdd

Thanks. Found it for $299 on Newegg, which is still more than 200 EUR but hopefully it will come down in price over time.

• rds100 said: Thanks. Found it for $299 on Newegg, which is still more than 200 EUR but hopefully it will come down in price over time.

$299 isnt terrible, considering these drives will be reliable. (from my experience the 5900 drives last alot longer)

• backup.pcrx.com/

Unlimited storage for $3,95 month

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • That looks like a nice offer! Thanks!

However this type of service tend to delete your files if you don't have them on your computer. I was more inclined towards a "unlimited cloud" than a "backup cloud" simply because in the cloud I can really store my files without worrying about having them necessarily also on local. And also clouds (good part of them) offers more features, and API with which you can use third party apps. This way I can use my Linux server :)