Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Know any huge (and cheap) online storage space?

Issam2204Issam2204 Member
edited April 2015 in General

Hello!

Any of you knows a online storage provider that is cheap? I've been using hubiC but I'm not quite sattisfied. Something like hubiC in price and storage but better (lol - crazy demands I know).

Use: backup (but I don't need those 30 days limited backup provider like Blackbaze). I think data should only be deleted by the user.

Well, any suggestion is welcome :)

Comments

• I don't think you will find anything as cheap as hubic. Maybe except the offers from some Chinese providers, which sound... chinese.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited April 2015

Amazon Cloud, Office365 ?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thanks but I failed to mention that I live in Europe and that offer is not available here.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi Issam,

If you're from Europe, as myself, then you should definitely signup with HubiC, it's your best option. :)

• Thanks MrGeneral! I'm signed up with hubiC. Actually I have 10TB, but I find quite slow :( And the official app takes a lot of CPU resources (I'm speaking about the linux app).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • How slow is slow by the way? What speeds would you guys find acceptable for such storage offers?

• @rds100

In the last days the speed was like 100 kb/s both in upload and download. Today I get a "reasonable" 2 MB/s. Yes sure, I would love to saturate the bandwidth of my Kimsufi (100 Mbps), but with such cheap prices I understand they must cap something (a lot).

But bandwidth speed is not the only shortcoming: the client is very hungry of resources, taking 100% of CPU for hours to backup 50 GB.

At least today speed is not that bad. Let's see how it goes the next days.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • What do you think about https://www.opendrive.com ?

It's 4 times more expensive though.

• BruceBruce Member
    edited April 2015

Whatever happened to backupsy?

How much space? What price you after? Just interested. Need something too

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I need quite a lot of space, something like 10 TB. Price max. 200 € per year. I know it's crazy, but if there is hubiC there must be someone else I don't know about offering something similar.

• BruceBruce Member

Monthly bandwidth?

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • I would prefer something "unlimited"-like. If I have to throw a number I'd say 15 TB per month. I'll be doing a lot of snapshots and backup my media collection.

• Issam2204 said: I would prefer something "unlimited"-like. If I have to throw a number I'd say 15 TB per month. I'll be doing a lot of snapshots and backup my media collection.

get a large storage dedi and run dedup

• I need quite a lot of space, something like 10 TB. Price max. 200 € per year. I know it's crazy, but if there is hubiC there must be someone else I don't know about offering something similar.

The business model of most of these 'unlimited' services is to give you the first X GB/TB at moderate speed, then start algorithmically throttling the bandwidth available for the rest.

The idea being that they are giving you 'unlimited' storage/bandwidth but its sufficiently throttled that they can control how much you consume.

• MarkTurner said: The business model of most of these 'unlimited' services is to give you the first X GB/TB at moderate speed, then start algorithmically throttling the bandwidth available for the rest.

and most of these (with these limits) are US based, as US consumers have no protection at all.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • ehabehab Member
    edited April 2015

you also need a backup of the backup , or sync to two locations... and if i was you i would store in local NAS and 1 remote. Think wisely if you really need that much and in case of restore will download speed be enough to retrieve all those files. If its films then don't waist with online storage.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • TarZZ92 said: and most of these (with these limits) are US based, as US consumers have no protection at all.

These vendors never specify any minimum network performance. So whilst they can offer unlimited traffic, unlimited storage - they control the (over)usage through throttling your access.

@Issam2204 - You would better off either getting a dedicated server somewhere with the required amount of storage, or using a vendor selling a storage service that will charge a reasonable fee so you can expect a reasonable amount of bandwidth.

What about something like Amazon Glacier?

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Thank you for your answers.

I think Amazon is still quite expensive for my pockets. I have a budget of 200€ per year, and Glacier would not be near my needs at that price :|

• NomadNomad Member

In such cases, I wonder why no one sells NFS space.

Getting 10 TB is hard.
    Lower your expectations.

Except Hubic, there not many alternatives. Most cloud providers offer 1TB.

For cheap dedis, you can go for a Hetzner one, 6tb around 26-27€ a month.

Or maybe SoYouStart.com

Other than that... Sorry.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • If you really want cheapest solution, get some Chinese free online storage and keep multiple copies on different providers' free drive.

200 euro can only purchase 10TB hard drives. You'll need to pay the extra cost to put them online. It's hard to beat this price line.

• msg7086 said: 200 euro can only purchase 10TB hard drives.

Where? I would like to purchase a 10TB drive for 200EUR now.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Google apps $120/year for 1 account. It should be unlimited.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • NomadNomad Member

Get a drive and a raspberry and put them to some DC. I know I am planning to do so. :D

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Radi said: Google apps $120/year for 1 account. It should be unlimited.

>

Really?!

@All

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I unfortunately know that it's quite hard to get this kind of offer

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/pricing.html

I have education plan from them and it is unlimited with 1 account.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • rds100 said: Where? I would like to purchase a 10TB drive for 200EUR now.

u can get 8TB for 200eur though!

• cnbeiningcnbeining Member
    edited April 2015

@Issam2204 said:
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. I unfortunately know that it's quite hard to get this kind of offer

Yes, but Google Apps Unlimited starts by 5 accounts, or it will be 1TB/acc.

I would suggest you to do a traceroute first to find out which Google Apps server you will be using, therefore test the speed.

And, 100Kb with Hubic is not reasonable. Maybe grab one of their boxes as proxy or tunnel to see whether it will improve your peering?

I definitely do not suggest you using any of those Chinese storage; Here're some problem you will have to face:

• Most of them does not comes with English
    • Expect lowest speed from EU to China
    • They randomly delete your file
    • File number limit, and/or with file size limit
    • Limited support on Linux, no open API available
    • Not to say the security issue, since privacy in China is a joke
    Thanked by 1Issam2204

@cnbeining said:
    Yes, but Google Apps Unlimited starts by 5 accounts, or it will be 1TB/acc.

I have education plan from them(free equivalent of Unlimited Plan) and it is unlimited with 1 account.

• @Radi said:
    I have education plan from them(free equivalent of Unlimited Plan) and it is unlimited with 1 account.

Not 100% the same.

Education plan is fully unlimited, while Apps Unlimited is 1TB for 4/less accounts, and Unlimited for 5/+ accounts.

They used to be 100% equal though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Amazon Cloud Drive is the only competitor to hubiC when it comes to specs per price and "seriousness" of the company offering the whole thing: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/48012/amazon-cloud-drive-launches-unlimited-cloud-storage-5-per-month/p1
    But even then, I don't trust Amazon not to invent "creative" interpretations of what their "unlimited" actually means. On the other hand the up-front 10TB limit at hubiC is realistic and that feels much more trustworthy.

Thanked by 1Issam2204