Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it.

Comments

• @cassa said:
    Note that NatVPS.uk will be closing down too, their website is telling me that

I just see the normal page if I visit it.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

@deeetroit said:
    I just see the normal page if I visit it.

For me it shows the closing page. You may need to clear your browser cache :)

• deeetroitdeeetroit Member
    edited April 2015

@SSDBlaze said:
    For me it shows the closing page. You may need to clear your browser cache :)

That did it, thanks. This is most likely due to what @0xdragon said.

Thanked by 1IceCream
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I may be slaughtered for this, so am running away as soon as I post this.

A TOR node?

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited April 2015

@deeetroit said:
    Hey LET,

I bought a vps from a company I won't name but is well known around here for being pretty bad, I didn't know that at the time though.

I paid 2.99 for a year of VPS (Which I should have known had a catch) but I can only use 2.5% of the cpu, if I use more for over 15 minutes, I'm suspended which has already happened once. The only good thing is I have unlimited bandwidth.

So my question is what can I do with a NAT'd VPS that can only use 2.5% cpu?

Thanks, Detroit.

You'll be OK now, you can use more then 2.5% CPU. If you are suspended, just shout me so I can unsuspended you.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@MSPNick Do you allow TOR relays not exit nodes?

• @hawc said:
    MSPNick Do you allow TOR relays not exit nodes?

No, I do not allow nothing like this.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MSPNick said: No, I do not allow nothing like this.

So...you allow it.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

@MSPNick said:

anything*

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This "sale" went through pretty quick... @mtwiscool posted it on WHT on 4/13.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1471494

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:
    This "sale" went through pretty quick... mtwiscool posted it on WHT on 4/13.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1471494

Since it was a "here, take all my customers for free" kind of deal, I'm not surprised.

• @rds100 said:

Of course they are...you're getting rid of assets :P

• @mikho said:

That's pretty much the way it went, no jokes

• Just curious, has OP decided what to do with that VPS?

@Master_Bo said:
    Just curious, has OP decided what to do with that VPS?

He probably gave up on it.

• Master_Bo said: Just curious, has OP decided what to do with that VPS?

Well the company who ran it has just been taken over by another one @MSPNick 's company. I talked to him and he has lifted the 2.5% restriction, which is awesome. So I'm hoping to run what I originally intended too.

SSDBlaze said: He probably gave up on it.

Not quite, heheh.

• @deeetroit I'm actually jealous. I have a @MSPNick VPS, and so far the service and support it's awesome... but you managed to get one much cheaper (indirectly, but still) :)

• @deeetroit Great. I make use of even more restricted VPSes, but I still buythem intentionally, knowing the limits. Good luck!

• deeetroitdeeetroit Member
    edited April 2015

Traffic said: @deeetroit I'm actually jealous. I have a @MSPNick VPS, and so far the service and support it's awesome... but you managed to get one much cheaper (indirectly, but still) :)

Well, I doubt it will be the same, because of the oversold services of the last company, but It's definitely better.

Master_Bo said: Great. I make use of even more restricted VPSes, but I still buythem intentionally, knowing the limits. Good luck!

I'd definitely like to hear what you do, and it might be useful for other people if you write up some guides!

• @deeetroit said:
    I'd definitely like to hear what you do, and it might be useful for other people if you write up some guides!

It's quite specific usage, but no problem mentioning the cases:

• honeypot listening to "traffic noise" (to gather list of IPs to block access to)
    • proxy/VPN member (depending on setup, it can create very low CPU load)
  • Master_Bo said: proxy/VPN member (depending on setup, it can create very low CPU load)

I've had multiple problems trying to create a VPN on any VPSes of mine. Whether it be OPENVPN or SoftEther. Which sucks, if you have a tutorial link that can be used on both PC and iOS/android I'd love to know.

@deeetroit said:

I setup squid on a customers VPS recently. Thats pretty close to a VPN.

Someone has OPENVPN setup on a VPS of mine as well. Guess it can be done :P. Seems tricky though, Ive never attempted it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2015

SSDBlaze said: Someone has OPENVPN setup on a VPS of mine as well. Guess it can be done :P. Seems tricky though, Ive never attempted it.

Incredibly easy with @Nyr's roadwarrior installer.

Edit: linky

https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

If you use it, don't forget to buy @Nyr a beverage.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • Nekki said: Incredibly easy with @Nyr's roadwarrior installer.

Unfortunately I used it many times to no avail.

@Nekki said:

Looks helpful. Yeah haha, he deserves a beverage if it lives up to its reputation. Ill have to give it a go one of these days :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

deeetroit said:

Unfortunately I used it many times to no avail.

I've used it plenty of times will an abundance of avail, so I'm tempted to say you're doing it wrong.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Nekki said: I've used it plenty of times will an abundance of avail, so I'm tempted to say you're doing it wrong.

I'm tempted to say I could be, lol. I'm pretty new to VPSes and all that jazz but I'm pretty good with computers. I have followed many tutorials for it though, including one on how to install it on a LowEndSpirit vps, which is similar to mine. I'm not incredibly worried about it though.

• I used @Nyr's script yesterday to setup a VPN @ a VPS in Germany running Debian 6 64 bits. Working just fine.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @deeetroit said:
    I've had multiple problems trying to create a VPN on any VPSes of mine

Try tinc for that purpose. To me, easy to configure, stable, low footprint and CPU load.

If necessary, I can write a howto if I know the way VPN should be used. Personally, Iuse tinc to create P2P VPN network where all hosts communicate securely.

• Master_Bo said: I can write a howto

I'd be VERY interested in that as someone suggested tinc earlier aswell. If you get a chance please do!