Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it.

deeetroitdeeetroit Member
edited April 2015 in Help

Hey LET,

I bought a vps from a company I won't name but is well known around here for being pretty bad, I didn't know that at the time though.

I paid 2.99 for a year of VPS (Which I should have known had a catch) but I can only use 2.5% of the cpu, if I use more for over 15 minutes, I'm suspended which has already happened once. The only good thing is I have unlimited bandwidth.

So my question is what can I do with a NAT'd VPS that can only use 2.5% cpu?

Thanks, Detroit.

Comments

• BruceBruce Member

use 2.4% :)

• @Bruce said:
    use 2.4% :)

What about 2.3%?

• cociucociu Member

maybe next time no Buy sucks ? 2.5% cpu is nothing , way the company offer you 999999999 cpu if you can use only 2.5% of power (this is the question) . Finnaly you pay only 2.99/year wich is nothing. Let him iddle and next time .... you know

• @deeetroit said:
    What about 2.3%?

That'd be fine.

Alright, it's only 3/yr and how much can you expect?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2015

Well, i have a bunch of 3 EUR / year NAT VPS-es from InceptionHosting and they work fine. Not that i am using them much (just logging in from time to time to run a traceroute or mtr), but still haven't been suspended or anything like that.
    So yes, one could expect that even a 3 EUR/ year or 2 EUR / year VPS works.

• deeetroitdeeetroit Member
    edited April 2015

@rds100 said:
    Well, i have a bunch of 3 EUR / year NAT VPS-es from InceptionHosting and they work fine. Not that i am using them much (just logging in from time to time to run a traceroute or mtr), but still haven't been suspended or anything like that.
    So yes, one could expect that even a 3 EUR/ year or 2 EUR / year VPS works.

Yes my VPS, WORKS but it's not doing anything and I wouldn't really want it to waste itself away, even though that's what's it's doing at the moment.

• You got a 4 stars VPS for 2.99/year, such luck!

• It's.... $3... be a big boy and get over it...

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @Jonchun said:
    It's.... $3... be a big boy and get over it...

Ahah, So true. But c'mon it's a year full of nothing.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited April 2015

What can you do with 2.5% cpu lol?

I believe most NAT VPS providers allow up to 80% cpu?

• Sounds like an mtwiscool VPS? You can use all the CPU, you are just limited.

• deeetroit said: but I can only use 2.5% of the cpu

cpulimit -l 2.5 name_of_process > /dev/null &

Thanked by 2ehab FrankZ
  • @telephone said:
    cpulimit -l 2.5 name_of_process > /dev/null &

I asked about using a code like this or maybe exactly the same when he first suspended me, I was told that it causes huge problems on the node -_-, or something like that at least.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Sounds like an mtwiscool VPS? You can use all the CPU, you are just limited.

I don't know if I should name and shame, but I will say you can find the company name on an older thread of mine.

• Like @rds100 said, you can run traceroute from there, which can be useful depending on where it is. You can also run a personal mailserver, and a static web page will work fine. The usefulness depends a lot on what you have and what you can use. It doesn't take a lot before you have $3 bucks worth out of it.

• just install mtr and use it to run traceroutes
    yum install mtr

• hostrail?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

@deeetroit said:
    I don't know if I should name and shame, but I will say you can find the company name on an older thread of mine.

Why would you "name and shame" if the company just delivered what promised?

What you've been expecting out of $3 USD a year VPS? 4 Dedicated Cores?

• @Clouvider said:

Well with autosuspension over 2.5% of cpu... you pretty much can't do anything... Even if it's a cheap VPS, I would hope you could at least login before it suspends.. lol..

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

lol.

Its a waste of money if you can't do anything without getting suspended. If you can't even login, thats like buying a car with no gas pedal.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Clouvider said: What you've been expecting out of $3 USD a year VPS? 4 Dedicated Cores?

Other VPSes in the same price range (LowEndSpirit) don't have such a silly limitation, and you mr. "Cloudiver" sir have just earned a place in the never-buy shit list for the rest of your brand's life with this comment.

Thanked by 3deadbeef JahAGR MikePT
  • Try using for VPN. Such as tinc-based.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

@rm_ said:
    Other VPSes in the same price range (LowEndSpirit) don't have such a silly limitation, and you mr. "Cloudiver" sir have just earned a place in the never-buy shit list for the rest of your brand's life with this comment.

CPU Usage:
    You must keep your CPU Usage below 2.5%(spikes up to 15 minutes are allowed).

We hope this AUP is helpful in clarifying the obligations of Internet users, including BUDGETGEEK TELECOMS LIMITED and its subscribers, as responsible members of the Internet. Any complaints about a subscriber's violation of this AUP should be sent to [email protected].

Well, looks like the retarded cpu limitation is explained based on the owner of the "company" he got the vps from.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • rm_ said: "Cloudiver"

So it's not just me who always read his name/brand as "cloudiver"... Guess it's not a very good name after all...

• ChuckChuck Member

@deeetroit said:

If it is natvpsdotuk. then:

All CPU is fair use (Up to 10% allowed unless it is for less than 15 minutes).

Not 2.5% cpu?

• All companies that delivers nat vps under the les umbrella do have a good performance for the price and they do not limit usage in the ridiculously 2.5%. They perform pretty fine, I would say.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Don't worry about it, I'm taking all the "Hostrail" customers and I'll make sure your experience is a lot better :)

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2015

deeetroit said: I asked about using a code like this or maybe exactly the same when he first suspended me, I was told that it causes huge problems on the node -_-, or something like that at least.

Meh, it's his problem then if he can't suggest a reasonable way to limit CPU to a lousy 2.5%.

If the host wants to be that strict, they might as well implement cpuunits or cpulimit for containers at node level (I'm guessing they use OpenVZ).

• deeetroitdeeetroit Member
    edited April 2015

@Chuck said:
    Not 2.5% cpu?

It says in the AUP which somebody actually copy and pasted here, that 2.5% is the limit, so I went by that as the amount that I'm allowed to use.

• @Chuck said:
    Not 2.5% cpu?

That's bullshit too. Their advertisement says that, but their tos says something else.