Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So I was an idiot and got a **** VPS, What can I do with it.

Comments

• Jonchun said: That's bullshit too. Their advertisement says that, but their tos says something else.

Agreed.

• ChuckChuck Member

@deeetroit said:
    It says in the AUP which somebody actually copy and pasted here, that 2.5% is the limit, so I went by that as the amount that I'm allowed to use.

Sue them for false advertising. Collect money if you win. Then you can buy a new Ferrari?

• @Chuck said:
    Sue them for false advertising. Collect money if you win. Then you can buy a new Ferrari?

Heh, Ferrari. Why not a Lambo?

• I think plain nginx uses way less than that... maybe for low-traffic static website?

But by low traffic I really mean it.

• ChuckChuck Member

@0xdragon said:

Heh, Ferrari. Why not a Lambo?

He will need to keep some money to pay for insurance.

Thanked by 3Traffic 0xdragon Pwner
  • Thanked by 1noisycode
  • J1021J1021 Member

CloudCommand and mtwiscool pair up, a perfect match for eachother.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

rm_ said: Other VPSes in the same price range (LowEndSpirit) don't have such a silly limitation

LowEndSpirit does not have this silly limitation either thanks, this is obviously hostrail.

edit, just realized I read the word 'as' when it is not even there and ignored the brackets, sorry, I will go and get my eyes tested.

• Where did you get that?

• @kcaj said:
    CloudCommand and mtwiscool pair up, a perfect match for eachother.

Cool story? Just felt bad for the clients and have some spare space on my infrastructure. So if you have any dirt on me, go right ahead :) Don't think I've wronged you in any way though.

• @0xdragon said:
    Cool story? Just felt bad for the clients and have some spare space on my infrastructure. So if you have any dirt on me, go right ahead :) Don't think I've wronged you in any way though.

i find it odd that you have time to spare for taking on new clients while cloudcommando has ongoing issues that needs to be fixed?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/49545/cloudcommando-has-gone-downhill/p1

people have issues with your service and you didn't bother to post a single update in that thread about what's going on or if it is all done with now? it would be a decent thing to do.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Mark_R said:

There are no ongoing issues :)

Read the last post on the thread? I encourage anyone with issues to send in a ticket, and I guarantee you will not be wronged. :-)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

@rm_ said:
    Other VPSes in the same price range (LowEndSpirit) don't have such a silly limitation, and you mr. "Cloudiver" sir have just earned a place in the never-buy shit list for the rest of your brand's life with this comment.

It's not about others Sir, but about this particular provider. If the ToS was explaining that limitation then there is nothing wrong with that. There are different offers with very different specifications. All I meant is to always check what you buy before you do it.

As a Customer I would however be extremely careful buying a service for $3 USD a year. I do however understand that there are providers who offer a good service for this sum of money and there's nothing wrong with that, however, as with every purchase you gotta do your research, check the limitations, before you decide to avoid being surprised with the rules you've probably had to tick that you accept while placing the order. That's all.

I meant no offence but you brought this to personal level. Providing you a view from a different angle now makes my company a bad provider? We care for our Customers very much at Clouvider, after all we believe that one happy Customer brings three more, one unhappy however takes away a dozen of potential ones. We are proud to provide a great quality and value services to our Customers with very clear rules.

Sorry to see my post have made you angry so much, I meant no harm.

Take it easy and enjoy your weekend :).

With the warmest regards from Clouvider (the mix of words "cloud" and "provider")

Dom

• To get back on topic.. @deeetroit I have a guide I wrote on hosting your own screenshot/file sharing thing. I'll edit/update it later and see if I can post it on here this weekend.

Basically you only need to run nginx/lighttpd + use SFTP/FTP to upload, which uses like no cpu. Even in a big traffic spike, static file delivery via nginx or lighttpd uses.. nothing. So that would be one of my recommendations for something to do with it.

• earlearl Member

0xdragon said: Heh, Ferrari. Why not a Lambo?

Buy them both.. Walmart seems to have a good selection.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

@earl Look at the price - even if he gets a full refund, he will still have some remaining! :D

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

Clouvider said: With the warmest regards from Clouvider (the mix of words "cloud" and "provider")

Bit of a tongue twister IMHO..

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@earl dully noted, but this thread is not about Clouvider, is it :)?

Sorry for being a distraction:).

• earlearl Member

@Clouvider said:
    earl dully noted, but this thread is not about Clouvider, is it :)?

Sorry for being a distraction:).

To be honest, I think the OP had his moment already.. he's opened enough discussions centering around this $2.99 NAT VPS, that I'm not sure what else needs to be said.

Hope I didn't offend you with my previous comment..

Here.. have a Ferrari!! A sign of my peace offering. Drive safe :)

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Run Wget and you get terminated, its better as keep that thing.

(not sarcasm, he really terminats people for using wget)

Sorry but, a VPS with 2.5% CPU Limit isnt worth 3$ per Year.

Take 4$ and get a BandwagonHost, you just get throttled and no termination
    or get a LES from RansomIT/EvoBurst/Inception they dont terminate you as long you dont abuse the cpu. So you also burst a bit when compiling stuff etc.

• @Infinity580 said:
    Run Wget and you get terminated, its better as keep that thing.

(not sarcasm, he really terminats people for using wget)

Sorry but, a VPS with 2.5% CPU Limit isnt worth 3$ per Year.

Take 4$ and get a BandwagonHost, you just get throttled and no termination
    or get a LES from RansomIT/EvoBurst/Inception they dont terminate you as long you dont abuse the cpu. So you also burst a bit when compiling stuff etc.

OP, if you decide to try and see how much can you wget - do it well. Something among these lines...

#!/bin/env bash
    top &
    while [ true ]; do
     wget --quiet -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test &
    done

Save as "idle", run "bash idle &" and enjoy the views. :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Traffic, moment i didnt said that you need while.
    For a normal VPS Provider yeah, without while it should be also working at this Provider.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

Back to topic:

Install ntp.

You got a nice, exact clock! :)

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited April 2015

3/12 it's 0.25$ a month!

100 / 2.5 = 40

40 * 0.25 = 10$ of money they could possibly get for each CPU

No wonder that...

• I'm using my NAT VPS for testing stuff I don't want to do on production servers. I was planning to use them as my own CDN (got 2 in US, 4 in EU) but had troubles because of their uptime. Maybe I'll dig more into it and setup GeoDNS with IP failover..

• @nexusrain said:
    I'm using my NAT VPS for testing stuff I don't want to do on production servers. I was planning to use them as my own CDN (got 2 in US, 4 in EU) but had troubles because of their uptime. Maybe I'll dig more into it and setup GeoDNS with IP failover..

Why not use @black so script to remove servers when down

• First of all no company should sell 2.99 for a year plans, and secondly no one should buy it.

What can you expect from a 2.99 for a year box?

• smartcard said: First of all no company should sell 2.99 for a year plans, and secondly no one should buy it.

Can you please elaborate on that?

• @TinyTunnel_Tom can you send me a link? I couldn't find a script for smth like that by him?

• cassacassa Member

Note that NatVPS.uk will be closing down too, their website is telling me that