Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avoid virpus.com, who deceives their customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Avoid virpus.com, who deceives their customers

Hi,

This is the first time ever I write a review here. I ordered many VPS from different providers out there before, but the situation is very disappointing and the first time I met something like that.

I have ordered Linux VPS on the 2nd of April from virpus.com.

On the next day, the 3rd of April, when I checked the server we received, I realized that it doesn't match our request and IP address was previously abused and blocked. I have opened a ticket the same day asking for a refund accordingly to their money back guarantee, which is nicely offered on their main page:

Take us for a spin - 3 Day Money Back Guarantee
Try us out and if you are not satisfied, get your money back!

Surprisingly I got such a reply the next day:

You will not get the refund unless you had the history of at least one
technical support ticket where you had worked with us to resolve the issue.

I didn't pay attention to that at that moment, though it looked a bit strange as it was not stated anywhere. Anyway I insisted on the requested refund, but they told me they won't do that until I have a ticket with their support. Now I realize that they simply played for time in order to find any reason to avoid the refund. To satisfy their strange requirement I opened another ticket with their support #693876, where I described the issues I faced. I was waiting for a reply a few days and and the end I got reply and was simply shocked:

You are not eligible for a refund since you had crossed our 3 day money
back period.

That is the way they deceived me. Please think twice before ordering any service from them, so you won't be cheated as me. Hope this review will be useful for someone.

Comments

• It's good strategy to avoid refund

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited April 2015

Should of looked at the reviews .. these guys are the worst provider in the industry IMO and somehow they're still around .. alot of people use their services for game hosting, DDoS and some other illegal stuff, since they don't care about I/O or CPU usage.

I heard it got better, but I highly doubt it.

• @ATHK said:
    Should of looked at the reviews .. these guys are the worst provider in the industry IMO and somehow they're still around .. alot of people use their services for game hosting, DDoS and some other illegal stuff, since they don't care about I/O or CPU usage.

I heard it got better, but I highly doubt it.

Dont forget about 123system and CVPS. They are neck and neck... or maybe butt and butt.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Check your reviews before purchase, it is not like they lack for Virpus and almost all are bad.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited April 2015

@noisycode said:
    Dont forget about 123system and CVPS. They are neck and neck... or maybe butt and butt.

Some people disagree

@CVPS_Chris said: TriDoxiuM I am not sure what you are suggesting, we offer a great service and there is no reason for someone to not consider ChicagoVPS when looking for a virtual server. Thanks Chris

(lol)

• Don't they just got purchased? I was hoping that they cleaned up their act after the purchase ... or NOT?

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2015

Caveat emptor. Read legal docs first. If you read their ToS, you'll find amazing part, under "Cancellation of services" title:

Please note that we do not offer refunds under any circumstances, however can issue an account credit of the unused time to be used towards future invoices with Virpus.com, if your cancellation is requested for "Immediate".

And more under "Money back guarantee":

Virpus.com offers a complete 3 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If under the circumstances the customer is not happy with our services, Virpus.com agrees to provide a full refund of the service, excluding any setup fee's, control panel fees, and/or control panel addon fees. Customer may not modify their cancellation reasoning after it has been provided the first time. This policy is void if (a) customer shows signs of knowing they will cancel within 3 days (b) customer signs up for the purpose of canceling (c) customer has no record or signs of dissatisfaction in the myVirpus helpdesk (d) If customer has multiple services, or has had service in the past.

Customer needs to cancel their account via myvirpus.com and specify for immediate cancellation. After doing so, open a ticket with the billing department requesting a refund. Note that all control panel and licensing addons are non-refundable.

Obviously you (c) had no record or signs of dissatisfaction in the myVirpus helpdesk; or, perhaps, you (a) showed signs of knowing you will cancel within 3 days.

(a) is just a legal masterpiece.

Any more comments?

• nothing new really. the guy is a dick

• @Leechum said:
    nothing new really. the guy is a dick

Who is?

• @MSPNick said:
    Who is?

the guy running virpus

• @Leechum said:
    the guy running virpus

Ken sold of to WOWrack if I remember correctly. That's when I left them. Support went down hill and was a nightmare

• He sold it, but he is still working for them.

• It looks really bad.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    Thanked by 1VNKen
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

Erm, did I miss something.

Just had a look at the website, they have about the clearest and easy to navigate terms of service I have ever seen:

From the Money Back Guarantee section:

Virpus.com offers a complete 3 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If under the circumstances the customer is not happy with our services, Virpus.com agrees to provide a full refund of the service, excluding any setup fee's, control panel fees, and/or control panel addon fees. Customer may not modify their cancellation reasoning after it has been provided the first time. This policy is void if (a) customer shows signs of knowing they will cancel within 3 days (b) customer signs up for the purpose of canceling (c) customer has no record or signs of dissatisfaction in the myVirpus helpdesk (d) If customer has multiple services, or has had service in the past.
    Customer needs to cancel their account via myvirpus.com and specify for immediate cancellation. After doing so, open a ticket with the billing department requesting a refund. Note that all control panel and licensing addons are non-refundable.

Just to highlightfrom above - customer has no record or signs of dissatisfaction in the myVirpus helpdesk

So why are virpus to blame here, did I miss something?

They are saying they will refund you if your not happy but you have to give them a chance to fix what ever is wrong, it sounds like you were unhappy about something and went straight for the refund.

edited April 2015

It can be denied under the signed with the intention (purpose seems a bit odd there) of cancelling thinggie. You cannot prove you had no intention of cancelling, therefore everyone will be denied the refund.
    I mean, we are like in US or Israeli system here, people were shot, abducted or detained because they had the intention of something or for "apology of terror".

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited April 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    Just to highlightfrom above - customer has no record or signs of dissatisfaction in the myVirpus helpdesk

So why are virpus to blame here, did I miss something?

They are saying they will refund you if your not happy but you have to give them a chance to fix what ever is wrong, it sounds like you were unhappy about something and went straight for the refund.

After the OP opened a ticket, asking for a fix, they state that the 3 days are passed and so no more refund. Is a bad trick to avoid refunds, IMHO.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Steve81 I agree it is a bit harsh however the refund policy is clear and he did not follow it, after 1 day they told him he needed to open an actual support ticket.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Steve81 I agree it is a bit harsh however the refund policy is clear and he did not follow it, after 1 day they told him he needed to open an actual support ticket.

Exactly where it is clear?

It's convoluted and written in a manner, so there always be chance to deny money back guarantee.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited April 2015

@lemsan_inc hey, we have a 14 day "no questions asked" refund policy, quite sure you won't face such hassle............ ;)

Master_Bo said: chance

Rather certainty. Unless they do want refund, but then would have not worded it like that. You cannot prove you had no "purpose" to get a refund, therefore you cannot get one.

• most people don't bother to read TOS anyhow

• lol.

twisted tos of the year.

• VNKenVNKen Member

Hi there,

The reason we have our Money Back Guarantee worded in such a way is to prevent abuse. In the past the policy was abused by people who would spam for a few days, and ask for a refund, which we granted at the time.

In order to address the abuse we had to tighten up the Money Back Guarantee policy. It is designed so that if there are issues that we cannot resolve, we will issue a refund. There needs to be signs of dissatisfaction. In other words, the refund request ticket cannot be the first ticket you have ever opened.

OP, if you could share your ticket number, I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

• @VNKen said:
    Hi there,

The reason we have our Money Back Guarantee worded in such a way is to prevent abuse. In the past the policy was abused by people who would spam for a few days, and ask for a refund, which we granted at the time.

In order to address the abuse we had to tighten up the Money Back Guarantee policy. It is designed so that if there are issues that we cannot resolve, we will issue a refund. There needs to be signs of dissatisfaction. In other words, the refund request ticket cannot be the first ticket you have ever opened.

OP, if you could share your ticket number, I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

He signed up and tried the service. What other signs do you need?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2015

An arm or leg missing, at least 2 limbs to qualify!

I understand the provider's reasoning, though any kind of "money back guarantee" or "trial" needs needs to live up to its name.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@noisycode, not sure where your getting your information, but ChicagoVPS offers a great service.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    noisycode, not sure where your getting your information, but ChicagoVPS offers a great service.

Have you really just posted that here?

C'mon lets go for a walk down review lane. Oh wait I have better things to do, Google "chicagovps review" start at page 1 work your way down.

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited April 2015

@VNKen said:

Don't you think that "we offer absolutely no refunds", and that convoluted moneyback promise several clauses below are mutually exclusive?

I doubt you have an expert in telepathy in your staff, so the (a),(c) conditions, unless 3 days happily passed, is universal means to deny any moneyback.

• VNKenVNKen Member

@Traffic said:
    He signed up and tried the service. What other signs do you need?

Hi Traffic,

Good question. As mentioned previously, a ticket must exist.