Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Labs launched as scaleway.com (pricing announced) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Labs launched as scaleway.com (pricing announced)

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

It has uses I guess, as @deadbeef says, the storage is pretty ok. But there is more for less out there, I am not saying that makes it useless, just, well, not great.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Jar said:
    I can do better. I don't want to say that. I want them to improve. But...right now...I can do better.

I agree. My kidechires lack the SSD, but outperforms on network by 4-10x depending on the test location.. for 1/5th the price.. ehhh.

Dedibox XC w/ SSD will majorly outperform these things for 16Eur/mo vs 10.. with 4x ram, 2.4x ssd storage, and most likely better network access.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2015

Keep in mind the following costs in addition to the 9.99 Euros per month:

1 - Am I billed when I create a snapshots?

Each snapshot is billed 0.50€ per creation and 0,002€ per 50GB/h up to 500 continuous hours.

2 - How am I billed for Scaleway services?

All our cloud resources are billed per hour with a monthly capping. The only exception is reserved IPs, which are billed per month.

Am I billed when my server is powered off?

Your server will not be billed, however your volumes and reserved IP will be billed (€0.004/hr per IP). Remember that all resources are billed separately.

What is a dynamic IP address?

Dynamic IPs is a feature wich was present during the preview period and wich is now obsolete. It has been removed to simplify the use of C1s.

In other words, you must pay for the reserved IP and it is billed monthly, not hourly. Unless you don't need a public IP for the server.

Source: https://www.scaleway.com/faq

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

hwdsl2 said: Dynamic IPs is a feature wich was present during the preview period and wich is now obsolete. It has been removed to simplify the use of C1s.

OMG what. So it's not just 9.99/mo, it's 9.99 EUR/mo + the IP cost of 2 EUR/mo (with the monthly cap of 500 hours), and the latter is monthly, not hourly. ....+VAT, so we end up at almost 15 EUR/mo per instance.

hwdsl2 said: reserved IPs, which are billed per month.

hwdsl2 said: reserved IP will be billed (€0.004/hr per IP).

I wonder what's even the point of listing the hourly price, if it's billed monthly anyways.

• @rm_ said:

I guess at this point it is not clear whether the reserved IP cost is included in the 9.99 Euros or not. It needs further clarification.

edited April 2015

hwdsl2 said: I guess at this point it is not clear whether the reserved IP cost is included in the 9.99 Euros or not. It needs further clarification.

It is not. You reserve an IP separately, and you could run an instance without a reserved IP attached, it will only get a LAN address. This by itself could be useful for a backend database server etc.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, the cloud hype will attract some people, but when wills ee they cannot run windows, they will leave.

Actually, while i did expect it to be way more expensive than a kidechire, meaning up to 2 times as much or even a bit more, this kind of pricing is unexpected. However, unless they will scrap the project altogether, there will be 2 ways this can go to: add a lot of features and make it a real cloud, while scrapping some of the extra costs, or a massive price cut, promos and the like. As it is now, you may wish to get azure or amazon instead.

Thanked by 2elwebmaster default
  • sc754sc754 Member

Who in their right mind would pay 9.99 euro for such a poor CPU, even the worst vps is much better. Compare it to world stream offering a g1620 celeron for the same price... I know you get more bandwidth but a lot of people won't use close to 200mbit

Thanked by 1default
  • So does your old login for labs.online.net work at the new website? I wanted to login to stop / remove the one test server i had there, but the password didn't work for the new site.

• MultiMulti Member

@rds100 said:
    So does your old login for labs.online.net work at the new website? I wanted to login to stop / remove the one test server i had there, but the password didn't work for the new site.

yup, worked for me without any problems.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • This pricing...

Why not go https://worldstream.nl for a G1620?

• So.. What do people feel is a fair price for the lowest package? I'm thinking the price would need to be cut in half and maybe a bit more.

I think a total price of some 5-6 Eur would do. I always disliked charging for all bits and pieces, such as separate for IP, for example, one IP should be included, or, at least a /64 IPv6.
    This pricing will not be sustainable for a new product in a market where OVH is present as well as other serious cheap alternatives with much more power, included IPs and whatnot.
    Sure, the enterprise sector does not look at pricing, but no IT Manager in their right mind will go for a new product, on a non x86 and a weird platform, they will chose AWS any day and night.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2015

@JoeMerit said:
    So.. What do people feel is a fair price for the lowest package? I'm thinking the price would need to be cut in half and maybe a bit more.

I think a fair price for the lowest package (a very low CPU with weird platform and little space) should be much smaller than Kidechire, up to a maximum of 1.5EUR (+VAT), with the purpose to sell fast and attract new customers for other products and services.

• It's excellent to see they have finally announced this!

default said: should be much smaller than Kidechire

kidechire regular price is much higher than that, it was a promo the 2 Eur one. I do not expect unlimited traffic for 1 Eur, no matter what, but 5-6 is possible, I think.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2015

@elwebmaster said:
    How is this not better than scaleway?

That is exactly why I think a good launch offer, for fast selling and customer attraction, would be 1.5EUR price for these very small and weird servers, but anyone may ask anything for their products and services.

• sinsin Member

I would have actually tried this out had they offered Paypal.

• sin said: I would have actually tried this out had they offered Paypal.

you can still use paypal via the prepaid master card they offer

• fiendfiend Member

oh... yeah i was expected another pricing, like a cloud version of their kidechire, still i can see some uses, but for very specific purposes (mostly evolving storing or streaming), not for all round server and the infinite storage i already have that pricing on dreamhost's dreamobjects... so yeah... shrugs

• SnapeSnape Member

I'd be fine with 10 Euros; it's a custom-made solution with RAID'd SSD storage, snapshot functionality, and all that good stuff, plus a ton of bandwidth. It's inevitably going to cost more than a consumer motherboard and a single HD, or something like Delimiter's Atom thin client+SAN setup. And I dare say the development costs were quite a bit higher as well. It was never going to be a low-end service, despite everyone's pipe dreams.

But it doesn't actually cost 10 Euros... And trying to nickle-and-dime people for IPs and bandwidth, and abandoning the cheaper HDD-based storage option, and basically charging extra for (surly, unhelpful, French) support, grates on me. And... they rolled out a big new cloud platform, in Europe, in 2015, with no IPv6 support? Really? Unless I really need an enormous amount of cheap French bandwidth for a Varnish cache or something, this is completely uninteresting. And I like ARM, enough that I'd happily colo a Banana Pi or two at that price...

Snape said: Unless I really need an enormous amount of cheap French bandwidth

Exactly, that is the problem with skewed offers, people will only order if they need the oversized feature and this will end up pretty fast exhausting that resource before all capacity is sold, perhaps much sooner.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2015

I'd say a base price around 2,5$ p.m. like runabove had to be the starting point for me consider using this.
    the small sandbox instance is performing far better and you won't have to deal with some special requirements or a lot of self-compiling when using ARM architecture...

their interface is great and availability throughout beta had been good to me though.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2015

@Falzo said:
    I'd say a base price around 2,5$ p.m. like runabove had to be the starting point for me consider using this.

I think sometimes is better to switch from Online Cloud to OVH Cloud. Have a look at this offer: https://www.runabove.com/instances/sandbox.xml

• @default said:
    I think sometimes is better to switch from Online Cloud to OVH Cloud. Have a look at this offer: https://www.runabove.com/instances/sandbox.xml

But is runabove sandbox stable enough for production use?
    The page says: "Sandbox instances storage is local and these instances are not subject to SLA. If your use case requires SLA we invite you to use our Intel Steadfast instances."

• @boernd said:
    The page says: "Sandbox instances storage is local and these instances are not subject to SLA. If your use case requires SLA we invite you to use our Intel Steadfast instances."

Well imagine. If you manage a dedicated server... Raid 1 - SSD etc. CPU or memory or anything could be fail. So. thats why its not have SLA i think.

Yes its stable enought. Tested many times. Performance.. i am really impressed.

Use cpu 100% all the time , KVM etc.

• boernd said: But is runabove sandbox stable enough for production use? The page says: "Sandbox instances storage is local and these instances are not subject to SLA. If your use case requires SLA we invite you to use our Intel Steadfast instances."

Haven't noticed any significant downtimes. Have used one of these in production for 6 months now.

edited April 2015

boernd said: But is runabove sandbox stable enough for production use?

Is Scaleway stable enough for production use?

Last I heard people still complain about getting servers which lock-up under load (solved by redeploying to a different node via shutdown+start).

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited April 2015

My Online Labs servers sometimes failed to start following a system reboot, and I had to issue a hard reboot via the control panel.

Also, when you issue a poweroff or shutdown -h now command from within the server, it does not power off automatically unless you hit "OFF" in the control panel.

On the other hand, my Runabove Sandbox instance in BHS has been running rock solid so far. Although I've left it idling, there has been no reboot incidents (other than those initiated by myself) and uptime has been great.