Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data

1235»

Comments

• cassacassa Member

Nah, speed limit still sucks :(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sepeisepei Member

On the free package i dont see any limits...

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited March 2015

rm_ said: Isn't that a referral link?

I copied the "view online" link from the offer email, so it should be direct links.

http://mj.ovh.com/nl/0qtl/srtip.html without the tracking code stuff on the end.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Also online.net cloud has S3 storage, free for now. I have 2TB uploaded!

• bersybersy Member
    edited March 2015

Does anyone use Chinese Yunpan-360 or Baidu-Pan free cloud storage?

• @linuxthefish said:
    free for now

I'm not using it because of this. Who knows what will they charge and how much time they will give before doing so? But if it's temp storage, it's a good idea.

• @Nyr Just use the new unlimited amazon cloud drive. it's like 50$ a year and it's 100x better than hubic.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

C0mpass said: use the new unlimited amazon cloud drive. it's like 50$ a year and it's 100x better than hubic.

It is $59.99/year, which is much more "like" $60, than $50 (and you've been successfully tricked by the 9.99 price); also this is currently more expensive than Hubic. And how is it better in the first place? Does it also have a FUSE FS to simply mount it on GNU/Linux (not a link to github please, but something you tried and can vouch works it well). Not to mention personally I am more comfortable with a set limit of 10 TB than with "unlimited storage", too many times in the past people have been bitten by "cloud providers" changing terms or introducing limits on the latter.

• KupolKupol Member
    edited March 2015

HubiC did the trick for me with the new sale. After tweaking settings of Hubicfuse and switching to rclone for backups I'm getting constant 100Mbit/s writes to their storage. I've uploaded 3TB of personal media so far and it's been great. Imo there is no better offer in EU currently. Haven't tried pulling my backups off yet, but those are just media files which I don't mind waiting extra for download.

Also how do you encrypt your stuff for use with cloud providers? Or is it just not worth to encrypt stuff like music and movies ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Kupol said: Also how do you encrypt your stuff for use with cloud providers?

EncFS in the reverse mode.

• @bersy said:

I guess if you are in china it could be good, else the speed will be horrid unless you live in or around China...

Also remember that you have the chinese government looking through your stuff!

Thanked by 1bersy
  • linuxthefish said: Also remember that you have the chinese government looking through your stuff!

I don't care if it would be the Chinese government or the US government looking through my stuff. I wouldn't store anything unencrypred on such a service anyway. But the low speed to China is a real problem.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Kupol said: Or is it just not worth to encrypt stuff like music and movies ?

If the movies/music tracks are legal copies, then I'd say there's no need. If not....I doubt HubiC/OVH give two shits.

• @rm_ Hubic is OVH FR locations only, right? They don't use BHS in their replication last I checked :( Probably too costly to sync up that data and/or privacy concerns.

My speeds to OVH FR isn't nearly as good as BHS, but 10TB @ 5 Eur is tempting. Is HubicFuse any good? I have encrypted backups with Arq on my Macs, uploading regularly via SFTP to my dedi - could probably get those sync'd to Hubic as well for a third location for them. As well as Dropbox-like file sync'ing across my machines for work stuff.

• NomadNomad Member

@mikeyur said:
    rm_ Hubic is OVH FR locations only, right? They don't use BHS in their replication last I checked :( Probably too costly to sync up that data and/or privacy concerns.

My speeds to OVH FR isn't nearly as good as BHS, but 10TB @ 5 Eur is tempting. Is HubicFuse any good? I have encrypted backups with Arq on my Macs, uploading regularly via SFTP to my dedi - could probably get those sync'd to Hubic as well for a third location for them. As well as Dropbox-like file sync'ing across my machines for work stuff.

For backups it seems perfect for such a price. But if you plan on having a performance like an NFS share, you'll be disappointed. Moving data from one folder to another needs rewriting it allover again.

Also, when I tested it, I tried Plex to see if it had acceptable speed. Turns out it doesn't handle partial data sending (?). I had to wait for the whole video to be downloaded when Plex was desperately trying to find a match for my personal videos. Which resulted in crashes, numerous times.

But then again, for 5 bucks, it's really a tempting offer. Just store whatever you want. But don't try editing /moving them and expect instantaneous results.

• @Nomad said:
    For backups it seems perfect for such a price. But if you plan on having a performance like an NFS share, you'll be disappointed. Moving data from one folder to another needs rewriting it allover again.

That's a bummer, but makes sense. Most likely a technical limitation that doubles as abuse prevention. If everyone could easily mount storage + stream stuff all day, it would burn a ton of bandwidth on top of storage. Backups-only are fine for me, for the server side stuff.

The rewriting thing seems to be more of a problem. I just moved some files around on the web interface and it looks like it made me re-download the files I moved on the Mac sync client. Which is ridiculous. 50MB file moved into a folder = delete & re-download same 50MB file.

I'd mostly be using it for a dropbox replacement, I have about 250GB in Dropbox and pay for Pro which is $10/mo - so I'd save almost half that and have tons more storage, but if it's going to re-download everything if I reorganize that's going to be a huge headache.

• NomadNomad Member

You should test it more. I didn't try the Web interface. Or Windows client. I tried these with hubicfuse on linux. The official client for Linux is an incomplete disaster which consistently failed to sync the contents of my Dropbox folder. Maybe due to having non-English characters.

• DrewDrew Member

amazon is 11.99/yr for unlimited storage!!

• bersybersy Member

Drew said: amazon is 11.99/yr for unlimited storage!!

I think it has already been mentioned in this thread. Moreover $11.99/y is applied to photo storage only.

• @Drew said:
    amazon is 11.99/yr for unlimited storage!!

For photos only.

For everything, that's $59.99/yr.

• KupolKupol Member
    edited March 2015

Good thing, I have 5TB of manga images.

• mintmint Member

@bersy said:

I live in Korea, for 360yunpan, Download speed from them is fast, Upload speed to them is decent and terrible in the same time.
    I only used like 50GB out of 36TB so I can't see that 36TB is a thing or not.

Thanked by 1bersy